Did I mess up?

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Maintenance cost? The electric system requires 0 Maintenance and carries an 80-100k mile warranty vs the 36k miles on the 3.6L. Castrated? It has more hp and torque than the 3.6L. It seems like people have no idea how a plug in hybrid works. It never HAS to be plugged in. Regenerative braking alone will keep enough charge in it in order for you to use the added benefit of the electric motors output. The 2.0t alone makes more hp and torque from 2k rpms all the way to 5600. The 3.6 has higher peak hp...all the way out at 6k rpms which your jeep will likely rarely see. Add in the electric motors ~105hp and 175 ftlbs at ANY rpms and the 4xe wins in every category from fuel economy to crawling ability to 0-60 time. The extra 500 lbs is the only drawback I see.
It's somewhere around the weight of the 392. However, I've been reading the weight on the 4xe has some stability benefit in having a lower and balanced center of gravity.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Hard for anyone to tell without knowing how you plan to use your Jeep.

Plug-in hybrids make sense if you drive mostly in the city and do short trips every day —under 10 miles each way.

TFL reviewed the Rubicon 4xe: in their view, for off-road use it doesn’t make a lot of sense. The battery was dead the entire time they were on the trail; lugging around an extra 500 lbs in dead batteries made itself felt trying to go over obstacles.

4xe doesn’t offer fast charging. It takes 2.5 hours to recharge the batteries that can get you 20 miles. That is not a practical solution for the trail.
I didn't see any of what you claim there opinion was in the video? In esave mode it charged the batteries enough to run an obstacle in fully electric mode. As they directly said "it's a wrangler Rubicon and will do anything a normal wrangler Rubicon will do and it will do it quietly." They also said it will crawl for hours in fully electric mode if you start with a full charge. The only time they mention the weight was Tommy saying you can feel the weight on a really steep decent. You could save the full charge for the trail and run most major trails in America in fully electric mode. The Rubicon trail is only 18 miles. Most trails in moab are far less than that.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You have to have that thing plugged in all the time, what a pita. imo that technology is not ready.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You have to have that thing plugged in all the time, what a pita. imo that technology is not ready.
You don't have to plug it in ever. In esave mode it will charge just driving around (saving your brake pads in the process). The biggest challenge to the ev market is the uneducated consumer.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You don't have to plug it in ever. In esave mode it will charge just driving around (saving your brake pads in the process). The biggest challenge to the ev market is the uneducated consumer.
How long would it take to charge while driving around. I read someone said on esave mode they only charged like 1% battery in an hour.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
How long would it take to charge while driving around. I read someone said on esave mode they only charged like 1% battery in an hour.
I'm sure it would take a long time to get a full charge, but that's free energy. It still has the gas engine and could literally be driven it's entire life without being plugged in. Obviously that's not the most effective use of the system, but it's not like a fully electric vehicle where you will have to pause roadtrips for charging or wake up in a panic because you forgot to plug it in and will now be late to work because it's not charged. My point is it's an addition to the standard wrangler that doesn't detract from it in any way, and with the incentives they are giving it to you free, if not even paying you to give it a shot. The only logical reasons I see if currently in the market for a new wrangler not to go 4xe are if you want the manual trans, the diesel, or the 392. Any other order, even the OP's $41k sport s could be upgraded to a 4xe Sahara for a net cost of $0. A ~$50k 4xe will have the same options and then some and cost the same out the door.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
snip... Here in CA for instance, any vehicle with a combined mpg under 22 has to pay a gas guzzler tax at the dealer. There goes another $1k to $7k(392) you’ll be paying depending on model that doesn’t apply to the 4xe. ...snip.
I'm trying to find where this is computed. An additional $7K on top of the MSRP, taxes, and license would be crazy! I'm not seeing posts that say there is an additional $7K for California. Not saying it isn'so, just haven't seen it mentioned. (I don't read all threads) :) Found this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Did I mess up? Gas Guzzler Tax

Where is additional CA tax? Thanks.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm trying to find where this is computed. An additional $7K on top of the MSRP, taxes, and license would be crazy! I'm not seeing posts that say there is an additional $7K. Not saying it isn'so, just haven't seen it mentioned. (I don't read all threads) :)
CA gas guzzler tax is tacked on, I can't find how it's computed, just that it's a minimum of $1k and as much as $7k. It starts at anything less than 22 mpg and goes up as the mpg goes down. I know on my ram rebel it was an added $3500.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
CA gas guzzler tax is tacked on, I can't find how it's computed, just that it's a minimum of $1k and as much as $7k. It starts at anything less than 22 mpg and goes up as the mpg goes down. I know on my ram rebel it was an added $3500.
i edited my post (while you were replying) but I don't think it matters with regard to you reply. I'd like to hear from others that bought a 392 in CA, but I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I already have. I'm going to start a new thread on CA Gas Guzzler Tax https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/california-gas-guzzler-tax.71563/ . :) OP sorry about the hijack. See and post gas guzzler comments in the linked thread.

Gas Guzzler Tax b.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: