Sponsored

CB Antenna Mount, What I Did

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
20170329_172903.jpg

This is what I was running on my JK. I'm hoping to make the same mount work. I'll look at it tomorrow.
Let me know how it goes, I have the same CB, but I am sure the Cobra 75 would work just fine too with that mount.
Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Wait, what? People still use CB’s? I thought everyone was starting to migrate over to unlicensed UHF/VHF radios. ;)

Just kidding. Not a bad set up, though are you planning to keep the CB antenna mounted where it is or relocated to gain clearance of the rear wiper? I’m assuming you were using the cool tech backing in the JK? Definitely share if you’re able to recycle it in the JL.

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
Cool Tech says they will have JL-specific CB and antenna mounts by end of March. They're also planning to have a SmartPhone mount.

OP
OP
My#8andlast

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Wait, what? People still use CB’s? I thought everyone was starting to migrate over to unlicensed UHF/VHF radios. ;)

Just kidding. Not a bad set up, though are you planning to keep the CB antenna mounted where it is or relocated to gain clearance of the rear wiper? I’m assuming you were using the cool tech backing in the JK? Definitely share if you’re able to recycle it in the JL.
Yea, Versa Mount 2. Just not sure if I can bend it up enough to make it work. If they'll have something by the end of the month maybe I'll wait.

OP
OP
My#8andlast

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Update: went out with 28 Jeeps from a local Jeep Club today, worked like a champ, chrystal clear and well over 5 mile ranges when we got staggered out on the way to the trail.

Sponsored

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Does the "Trail Rated" logo on the drivers side just cover the radio antenna hole for right hand drive JL's?

OP
OP
My#8andlast

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Does the "Trail Rated" logo on the drivers side just cover the radio antenna hole for right hand drive JL's?
I don't think so. I think there's just an indention for the badge. RHD's prob still have the antenna on the right hand side.

OP
OP
My#8andlast

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Update: went out with 28 Jeeps from a local Jeep Club today, worked like a champ, chrystal clear and well over 5 mile ranges when we got staggered out on the way to the trail.
Another trip, 23 Jeeps, works like a champ, chrystal clear. If you buy the set up Qtec sells for the JKU and move it to the mount I did, the way I did, you'll have no problems.

KBCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
Great write-up, and the post from not4re made it even better. Couple of questions for not4re -- I'm having a similar problem. I need to mount an antenna for a county fire department radio VHF band. It's a 100 watt radio. I've been looking at brackets and there are almost none for the 2018 JL. I found a CB antenna mount - could probably use it with a VHF antenna, but it also mounts between the rear window and spare tire so I'm wondering how well the radio will work. If memory serves me right, VHF needs a ground plane. Mounting it on the bracket between the tire and window would seem to be a bad idea. Additionally, only half the antenna is above the roof top.......will that hamper VHF?

Another thought is to buy a set of A pillar light brackets for the JL from MoPar and use just the drivers side bracket to mount the VHF antenna. It's $150 bucks for a pair of the brackets and I'd have to throw one away <chuckle> Wish I could find someone who wants to mount a light only on the passenger side of a JL -- we could split it.

Thoughts?

Coda

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I assume you ran the coax cable under the plastic on the floor by the passenger side doors. How did you route it from the back seat to the tailgate? Did you go under the carpet or through the plastic on the passenger rear side? If you went through the plastic, how did you pop it off? Pictures appreciated.

Sponsored

OP
OP
My#8andlast

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I assume you ran the coax cable under the plastic on the floor by the passenger side doors. How did you route it from the back seat to the tailgate? Did you go under the carpet or through the plastic on the passenger rear side? If you went through the plastic, how did you pop it off? Pictures appreciated.
20180413_153715.jpg

This is where I ran it from the back. Then under the carpet at the rear seats center seat belt mounts.

Coda

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
20180413_153715.jpg

This is where I ran it from the back. Then under the carpet at the rear seats center seat belt mounts.
Thanks. Tomorrow, I am going to take some time and see how the large black plastic piece on the right snaps or bolts on. That is how I did my JK and it looks like a clean install. I didn't see any bolts so I am going to get my plastic trim tools out and see how it comes apart.

OP
OP
My#8andlast

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks. Tomorrow, I am going to take some time and see how the large black plastic piece on the right snaps or bolts on. That is how I did my JK and it looks like a clean install. I didn't see any bolts so I am going to get my plastic trim tools out and see how it comes apart.
All I did was press it down in the gap with a flat head screw driver.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That's pretty similar to how I did it on one of my old JKUs. Good job.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Cool Tech says they will have JL-specific CB and antenna mounts by end of March. They're also planning to have a SmartPhone mount.
It is the end of March, any updates?
Sponsored