Rear End issue bad differential bearings

LarryM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Have my jeep in the shop now! Was making a clicking noise in the rear end, The found that the bearings were shot! Not sure what caused the issue. I had the dealer put a Mopar 2" lift and new 35" wheels and tires on it has 52,000 miles on it. Has I believe an 8 speed transmission and a 3.45 gear ratio. Anyone had similar issues?
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Have my jeep in the shop now! Was making a clicking noise in the rear end, The found that the bearings were shot! Not sure what caused the issue. I had the dealer put a Mopar 2" lift and new 35" wheels and tires on it has 52,000 miles on it. Has I believe an 8 speed transmission and a 3.45 gear ratio. Anyone had similar issues?
I've run across several sets of bearings while doing gears that showed signs of premature wear.

It's something that happens. No worries. Replace them and keep wheelin'.

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
No I haven't in ~40k. Modern bearings are usually extremely reliable. I would suspect a contributing issue like lack of oil. Especially if both sides are gone. Not your fault - like the factory didn't fill enough. That sucks.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Some forum members with a clicking noise traced it back to the rear LSD.

Does your Sport have a LSD?

OP
OP
LarryM

LarryM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what the a LSD is?

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Not sure what the a LSD is?
LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential. It is an option on trim levels that do not include lockers, and this option also gets you a Dana 44 rear axle.

Jeep uses clutch-type LSDs on the Wrangler. I like having an LSD on my JL, and so far, mine has been trouble free...but some Forum members have had issues with them (search the forums for info on this).

OP
OP
LarryM

LarryM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential. It is an option on trim levels that do not include lockers, and this option also gets you a Dana 44 rear axle.

Jeep uses clutch-type LSDs on the Wrangler. I like having an LSD on my JL, and so far, mine has been trouble free...but some Forum members have had issues with them (search the forums for info on this).
Ok I understand yes I have the LSD

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I understand yes I have the LSD
So, based on other forum members’ experience, there’s a good probability that that may be the real cause of the clicking noise.

OP
OP
LarryM

LarryM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, based on other forum members’ experience, there’s a good probability that that may be the real cause of the clicking noise.
So what all do they need to change out?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So what all do they need to change out?
If it is the LSD, and your JL is still under warranty, the dealer will most likely swap out the entire rear axle.

It is a lot quicker --and more fool-proof-- to swap the entire axle than have a tech open up the differential and try to replace individual parts.

OP
OP
LarryM

LarryM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it is the LSD, and your JL is still under warranty, the dealer will most likely swap out the entire rear axle.

It is a lot quicker --and more fool-proof-- to swap the entire axle than have a tech open up the differential and try to replace individual parts.
Just talked to the the shop they are going to change out the whole assembly. Thanks for your input it helped
Sponsored