Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Really??
I just pop that plastic cover, remove the white spring-loaded fastener and it's off in 3 minutes tops!

Now I don't much care for the dinky 17 gallon fuel tank on the 2dr, and the visor retention "system" is utter crap, but all else is great!
Riiiiight....
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Only thing I dont like is the Fed Gov, and greenies dictating things forcing Jeep to use tech which really isnt mission critical for a Wrangler but needed to meet EPA BS making them even more expensive.

Will be interesting as the EPA thugs crack down on aftermarket parts by fining suppliers to death and driving them out of business if there will be fallout on that front.

Funny how many people still buy them but complain.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
3 things that really bite at my ass with the Jl. The blatant shit show that is the paint on these Aluminum parts, the fragile clutch's they put in the manuals and the aluminum steering box that they have since changed back to cast iron. Other than these three things I absolutely love my Jeep and if the paint wasn't going to be a nightmare over time I would keep it. The thing will be missed, but till then I am going to enjoy some wheeling. :D

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Apparently Stellantis did a poor job of educating people that the 4XE is a hybrid vehicle with a big ol' gas tank, not an EV.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Apparently Stellantis did a poor job of educating people that the 4XE is a hybrid vehicle with a big ol' gas tank, not an EV.
They also didn't tell people that a solid axle 4x4 doesn't drive like a car or that the narrow body/wide flare design that is great for trails compromises interior space when compared to a larger suv with the same overall width. It's not like they marketed the Wrangler as the most purpose built off roader of all time or anything.

tubesock

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
15 responses and no one has brought up the POS clutch system. I agree with the previous comment about the JL being over engineered and complicated. FCA had a good working clutch system in the JK, but decided to redesign it for the JL (which has the same engine/trans combo) and now they have shut down production/recalled manual transmissions to put a bandaid on it. The old saying of "if it isn't broke don't fix it" applies.

+1 for liking my tan seats.
It's not the same trans, JKs use the NSG370. JLs use the Aisin AL6.
Clutch is still bad though.

opiop

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Software Developer
I actually like my JL a lot! My only real complaints are:
  • The 5" base radio is absolute garbage. I know I shouldn't expect much out of my Sport seeing as it's the absolute base model, but it really is worse than it needs to be. I wish some third party company would come out with an affordable aftermarket head unit/bezel kit. Anyway, the issues:
    • Way too slow/laggy
    • Doesn't respond to inputs when it's first turned on (so if you leave the volume up when you turn your Jeep off then you better be prepared to have your ears assaulted by the radio the next time you turn it on)
    • You can't set a default "mode". I would be way happier if it would just default to searching for my phone over bluetooth/USB when I start my Jeep instead of it blasting whatever FM channel I left it on
    • Not having CarPlay even though I spent $30k kind of sucks. Again, I know it's a base model but still. $30k isn't a small sum of money.
  • The factory tune on the 3.6l with the manual trans seems to lean the Jeep out sometimes. I run 93 octane in the warm months in my Jeep now because 87 was causing misfires (or something). I don't mind paying for premium gas but I do worry about the long term reliability of the engine.
Other than that though, I love my Jeep! I'm a software developer and actually like tech a lot and don't mind when cars are stuffed full of tech, but I do enjoy the fact that my Sport has manual windows/locks. Just less things that I have to worry about breaking in the future! The only thing I wish I had was remote start for winter. I know there's aftermarket solutions for automatic JLs but I don't think I've come across one for manual transmissions yet.

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
The 2 door seat is shoehorned between the fender wells and cage and barely has room for 2 large children. I guess putting a half a seat between the rear doors sounds like a great idea until you think about it. I'm sure a 4 door 4 seater would sell as well as the 5 seat configuration? The extra 10" of space on either side of the miniature seat wouldn't be annoying to climb in to. Picking up everything you ever put in the back seat from that void wouldn't be annoying at all, and most of it would unload itself when you open the rear door so that could be fun? The current configuration folds flat for sleeping in the back and hauling larger items, but I guess sleeping with your head a foot bellow your feet could be fun? Maybe those engineers actually thought about what they were building? My 1 gripe is the lack of being able to open the tailgate from inside as crawling through the door when sleeping in the jeep isn't optimal.

Ha ha, ouch, I guess I deserved that for not thinking it all the way through, sorry to trigger your Lack of Common Sense radar. I still want more easily removed rear seats though!

The four-door seats dont really fold flat, they angle up just enough that if I am parked level and sleeping in the back, I slowly slide down until my feet touch the tailgate. Didn't mind it, until camping in 20°F and below, so now I hang a hammock inside. I'd rather a footwell that I could stick bags and such into to make level, as opposed to a permanent Craftmatic adjustable bed with pointy hinges and narrow canyon that things get lost in. (With no gap hider) Tip: a sheet of plywood or MDF board the width of the entire seatback makes a good automatic gap hider, but you lose the easy 60/40 unless you split or hinge it.

I'll change my pet peeve to the fact that the rear head rests aren't removable, well, the two big ones, anyway. Sure, they are easy enough to fold down, and I can never lose them, but they get in the way sometimes.

And hey, Zandcwhite, by way of apology, and as a fellow jeep cabin camper, I'll let you know that you CAN open the tailgate from the inside, if you don't mind a wee modification; I also didn't like having to go out the side doors. I already had my tailgate trim off for my table and additional storage, so I just added a little loop to the latch assembly. Some people put a strap or toggle just hanging down the tailgate, but I didn't want LittleDog or shifting cargo or something to accidentally hit it, so I left it inside. Let me know if you want more details, it really makes sleeping in the back much more enjoyable.

ITGuy

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I actually like my JL a lot! My only real complaints are:
  • The 5" base radio is absolute garbage. I know I shouldn't expect much out of my Sport seeing as it's the absolute base model, but it really is worse than it needs to be. I wish some third party company would come out with an affordable aftermarket head unit/bezel kit. Anyway, the issues:
    • Way too slow/laggy
    • Doesn't respond to inputs when it's first turned on (so if you leave the volume up when you turn your Jeep off then you better be prepared to have your ears assaulted by the radio the next time you turn it on)
    • You can't set a default "mode". I would be way happier if it would just default to searching for my phone over bluetooth/USB when I start my Jeep instead of it blasting whatever FM channel I left it on
    • Not having CarPlay even though I spent $30k kind of sucks. Again, I know it's a base model but still. $30k isn't a small sum of money.
  • The factory tune on the 3.6l with the manual trans seems to lean the Jeep out sometimes. I run 93 octane in the warm months in my Jeep now because 87 was causing misfires (or something). I don't mind paying for premium gas but I do worry about the long term reliability of the engine.
Other than that though, I love my Jeep! I'm a software developer and actually like tech a lot and don't mind when cars are stuffed full of tech, but I do enjoy the fact that my Sport has manual windows/locks. Just less things that I have to worry about breaking in the future! The only thing I wish I had was remote start for winter. I know there's aftermarket solutions for automatic JLs but I don't think I've come across one for manual transmissions yet.
There is a crazy expensive radio upgrade available:

https://www.infotainment.com/collec...nect-uaq-4c-nav-upgrade?variant=9364071252004

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Problem solved:

ESS eliminator

Best,
-Tim
I had read something about this but wasn't sure if having it connected voided our warranty somehow.

What I meant though is for the ability to do this from the factory. If it's ok to switch off after each start up, why not just allow a permanent ESS off setting? There will be no difference in fuel usage/savings at the end of a trip for me since I press that stupid button every time I start my Jeep.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
My only complaint is that I don't have more time to get it dirty and drive it!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Ha ha, ouch, I guess I deserved that for not thinking it all the way through, sorry to trigger your Lack of Common Sense radar. I still want more easily removed rear seats though!

The four-door seats dont really fold flat, they angle up just enough that if I am parked level and sleeping in the back, I slowly slide down until my feet touch the tailgate. Didn't mind it, until camping in 20°F and below, so now I hang a hammock inside. I'd rather a footwell that I could stick bags and such into to make level, as opposed to a permanent Craftmatic adjustable bed with pointy hinges and narrow canyon that things get lost in. (With no gap hider) Tip: a sheet of plywood or MDF board the width of the entire seatback makes a good automatic gap hider, but you lose the easy 60/40 unless you split or hinge it.

I'll change my pet peeve to the fact that the rear head rests aren't removable, well, the two big ones, anyway. Sure, they are easy enough to fold down, and I can never lose them, but they get in the way sometimes.

And hey, Zandcwhite, by way of apology, and as a fellow jeep cabin camper, I'll let you know that you CAN open the tailgate from the inside, if you don't mind a wee modification; I also didn't like having to go out the side doors. I already had my tailgate trim off for my table and additional storage, so I just added a little loop to the latch assembly. Some people put a strap or toggle just hanging down the tailgate, but I didn't want LittleDog or shifting cargo or something to accidentally hit it, so I left it inside. Let me know if you want more details, it really makes sleeping in the back much more enjoyable.
We typically sleep in a tent, but when the weather is really bad we will resort to the back of the jeep. I figured modding for a loop inside wouldn't be too difficult. It's just stupid that every car comes with a glow in the dark handle on the 1 in a million chance someone ends up in the trunk and our jeeps don't have one from the factory. My feet basically touch the rear gate so I never noticed the sliding down issue. I find the very slight incline quite comfortable actually. Could always go with a purpose built air mattress like the deepsleep jeep mattress if you want ultimate comfort back there.
Sponsored