Sponsored

JL Push Start Manual Transmission (not push button)

OP
OP

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I always have a portable battery jumper. Well worth the investment and its saved me on numerous occasions. Many other options for use as well.
But that doesn't help you if your starter dies. I will admit that this scenario happens a LOT less than a battery getting too weak to start the vehicle, but it's something that a push start can often quickly remedy.

My experience with the new push button start cars is limited to the BMW though and even then, only with an automatic transmission. Even with a keyed ignition in an automatic, you're not going to be push starting it. Regardless, I'm suspect of the new Jeep keyless system until I have positive proof that there is a way to push / bump start it like all previous manual transmission cars that I've encountered over the years.

Now, having said that, I'm pretty sure that although it might be theoretically possible to bump start my Harley, I would be hard pressed to be able to do it alone unless I just happened to park it on a nice size hill. But that is more an indication of personal physical limitations due to various injuries on my part over the years.
Sponsored

OP
OP

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You're overthinking this, it's no different than your traditional ignition from the past 50+ years. When your engine is running ANY ignition is in the RUN position.

Example of a typical American car:
Turn he key counterclockwise all the way for accessory. This mode allows you to run little things like the radio.

Turn the key one click clockwise and you'll unlock the steering wheel. One more click clockwise and you'll put the ignition into RUN position, where everything electrical is running, including hearing the fuel pump prime. Turn the key clockwise once more and that will engage the starter and when you release the key, the ignition springs back to RUN.

Now to pop start a JL:
Press START button once and you'll see you're in ACC mode. Press it again and you'll see RUN mode. Put the Wrangler in neutral, start pushing it, hop in, hold in clutch, put in 1st gear, let go of clutch, engine turns over and starts.
Thanks for the information. So, you personally have tried this and it works?

I don't think that I am overthinking it. We're talking about a very new system -- keyless pushbutton starting with a manual transmission. I know how it *should* work if it was designed correctly, but I do not put any faith in the engineers to have designed it as such. It's one of the things about having been an engineer myself -- I have seen too many whose designs are questionable and too many idiotic ideas by management to be willing to *assume* that something is designed correctly. The thing is, I come from a background of where your design of a system could literally mean the life or death of the users of your design (i.e. NASA, aerospace, and avionics). I know a car is not as critical as that, but I would like to know the limits so that I weigh the risk. I just want to know how it works so I can decide if it is worth buying it. When I contacted the manufacturer and they told me that the clueless sales people would know better than the manufacturer, that did not exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling. :(

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to consider is that there really are two batteries, so if the primary battery doesn't have enough power to start it the smaller secondary battery might be able to get it done. What I would like to know is if the JL will tell you your primary battery is bad.

With the scenario of a failed starter, it is good to know it can be clutch started. One feature that I found is missing is the ability to start in gear in low range without disengaging the clutch. However, it isn't needed with hill start assist. I tried it on a VERY steep hill, and the hill start assist worked beautifully.

trble

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Vet
Thanks for the information. So, you personally have tried this and it works?

I don't think that I am overthinking it. We're talking about a very new system -- keyless pushbutton starting with a manual transmission. I know how it *should* work if it was designed correctly, but I do not put any faith in the engineers to have designed it as such. It's one of the things about having been an engineer myself -- I have seen too many whose designs are questionable and too many idiotic ideas by management to be willing to *assume* that something is designed correctly. The thing is, I come from a background of where your design of a system could literally mean the life or death of the users of your design (i.e. NASA, aerospace, and avionics). I know a car is not as critical as that, but I would like to know the limits so that I weigh the risk. I just want to know how it works so I can decide if it is worth buying it. When I contacted the manufacturer and they told me that the clueless sales people would know better than the manufacturer, that did not exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling. :(
You definitely ask a good question and now my curiosity is peaked. I have a camry with a push button, but automatic or I would be trying it out on my wifes car,,, haha. I must be getting old, cause in my younger years I always wanted a stick for a push start for that reason. I will be trying this out on my manual jeep.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I wish the push start was an option. Tech like this really gets on my nerves. Give me a key any day.
I have a tendency to leave my key locked in my car in the ignition... Having this push button is a blessing for me lol. I just keep the key attached to my belt loop and don't have to worry about coming to a locked truck with a dead battery.

OP
OP

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to consider is that there really are two batteries, so if the primary battery doesn't have enough power to start it the smaller secondary battery might be able to get it done. What I would like to know is if the JL will tell you your primary battery is bad.

With the scenario of a failed starter, it is good to know it can be clutch started. One feature that I found is missing is the ability to start in gear in low range without disengaging the clutch. However, it isn't needed with hill start assist. I tried it on a VERY steep hill, and the hill start assist worked beautifully.
The only time I have ever (intentionally) used the ability to engage the starter while in gear is to move a vehicle out of the way if it had died for some reason. It probably got used on an old VW bug from the early '60s that I had since it would often vapor lock or die out from some other reason.

OP
OP

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Having a remote for unlocking the doors of a vehicle is nice, but having a key that you can use to physically unlock them when the battery is COMPLETELY dead is also nice. There's a few posts that I've read on the internet from people who have found out that it was possible to lock themselves out of their keyless car if the battery was dead or if they were replacing the battery. Supposedly, it's possible to do that on my wife's BMW when you are replacing the battery since it is in the trunk and if you make the mistake of closing the lid on the trunk while you are taking the dead battery to the store to swap it out.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Having a remote for unlocking the doors of a vehicle is nice, but having a key that you can use to physically unlock them when the battery is COMPLETELY dead is also nice. There's a few posts that I've read on the internet from people who have found out that it was possible to lock themselves out of their keyless car if the battery was dead or if they were replacing the battery. Supposedly, it's possible to do that on my wife's BMW when you are replacing the battery since it is in the trunk and if you make the mistake of closing the lid on the trunk while you are taking the dead battery to the store to swap it out.
There is still a physical key to unlock the doors manually if the vehicle or remote battery dies.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
The people who lock themselves out of their BMWs are the ones who don't know that there's a metal blade key inside the fob. You can physically unlock the Wrangler as well.

KeyA3_grande_c7c2e6d2-d477-4913-8b88-1cc6aa49f6c6_1024x1024.jpg

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
So, you personally have tried this and it works?
@dwoodwo1 did, in the thread I linked to on the first page of this thread:

Only thing I could do to start it was put it in reverse, let it roll down my driveway, and pop the clutch.

It's been done, it's been tested, it works. There is nothing magical in a key that would be required to allow the drive wheels of mnaual transmission vehicle to turn the engine over - it's more physics than anything else. If the drive wheels are turning while in gear, releasing the clutch will cause the engine to turn over. If the engine turns over while the ignition is on, the car will start.

OP
OP

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I saw a woman once who was stuck at a gas station, blocking the pump. Her car had the keyless entry / start type of system and when she left her house, apparently it was picking up on the key that was either in her husband's pocket or her key that was nearby, but not in the car. So, she was able to drive to the gas station, stop the car, and fill up, but could not restart the car afterwards because the "key" was back home. Of course, not *all* keyless systems have this potential problem -- some will start sounding a beeping sound if you try to do that. But then again, I've seen women back into a mailbox even though the proximity backup alarm was progressively getting louder and faster. If you try to make a system more idiot-proof, nature will just create bigger idiots... :(

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Navy - sounds like you should grab a new ‘18 JK before they’re gone! :like: The new JL is loaded with new tech and features. I’m loving every bit of them in my new manual JLUR. The new manual tranny is fantastic! I wouldn’t want to go back to key ignition but that’s just my personal opinion!

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
Listen. .push button start is on nearly all new cars.... it's the digital age. I would imagine people had the same dialog when "keys" came out when they were used to the turn crank method:

handcrank.jpg

I like the push button start.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Listen. .push button start is on nearly all new cars.... it's the digital age. I would imagine people had the same dialog when "keys" came out when they were used to the turn crank method:

handcrank.jpg

I like the push button start.
I remember watching a movie from about 1939ish, and one of the characters was complaining about these "New automatic transmissions and people that are too lazy to shift their own gears"
Sponsored