First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU Sport "S"
Occupation
Garage door installer
I have a 2018 Unlimited Sport S. Im not lifting it as I have a disabled mother that has a hard enough time getting in with stock suspension. However I want to use my stock wheels and put Goodyear Duratracs on them for winter use. I want to get nicer wheels for summer use. I like the look of the Black Rhino Barstow in Dearborn Blue. However they come in 17x9.5 with -18 offset. I know most people are going to say i need a positive offset. But I was hoping to see some pics of stock Wranglers with wheels close to those dimensions so I can see if the amount sticking out of the fender is going to drive me nuts. Im also only going with 285/70R17 tires. Probably Falken Wildpeak A/T3W. Thanks guys and gals for any pics and advice.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Here's those specs plugged into this calculator, stock 245/17s on the stock wheels on the left, and 285/70/17s on 9.5 -18 offset wheels, tires will be about 3.5" out from the stockers.
Keep in mind that wheel will increase your scrub radius quite a bit which will affect steering response/performance. Maybe there's another wheel that you like in a much better 8.5 width in a +10 to +15 offset to keep the fit closer to stock.
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...17X9.5ET-18&fcl=2in&wcl=1.25in&scl=2in&sr=0in

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
285/75r17 on Sport S wheels powdered coated gloss black
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel/tire dilemma A574482C-F8CC-48CD-B70B-BD6F2BC77C87
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel/tire dilemma 8D878BC6-BFDF-4489-8519-346661D3B3FE
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel/tire dilemma F9E73182-FC0A-4C22-9370-0CE9D669A2AC

You can get Sport S takeoff wheels for $150 or less. It would be really expensive to get 20-21lb wheels aftermarket

OP
OP

Jdclampett

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Garage door installer
Here's those specs plugged into this calculator, stock 245/17s on the stock wheels on the left, and 285/70/17s on 9.5 -18 offset wheels, tires will be about 3.5" out from the stockers.
Keep in mind that wheel will increase your scrub radius quite a bit which will affect steering response/performance. Maybe there's another wheel that you like in a much better 8.5 width in a +10 to +15 offset to keep the fit closer to stock.
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...17X9.5ET-18&fcl=2in&wcl=1.25in&scl=2in&sr=0in
Thanks. I have done all the calculations. I was looking more for pics of wheel setups closer to what im looking at. Im not looking at keeping it close to stock. I want to see how much it sticls out of the fender. I understand the scrub radius point. Thank you.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks. I have done all the calculations. I was looking more for pics of wheel setups closer to what im looking at. Im not looking at keeping it close to stock. I want to see how much it sticls out of the fender. I understand the scrub radius point. Thank you.
Gotta admit those Barstow Blue wheels look sweet! What color is your JL BTW?
Only problem with your plan is fender contact when flexing the suspension AFAIK, if you were to add longer bumpstops that might be a plan.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jdclampett

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Garage door installer
Only problem with your plan is fender contact when flexing the suspension AFAIK, if you were to add longer bumpstops that might be a plan.
Well I dont really plan to flex lol. Im one of the boring JL owners...I cant see spending all the money on a vehicle just to go off road and damage it...now. in a few years when its paid off maybe...but for now not much flexing to be done. My Jeep is Granite, but my favorite color is blue and I think blue accents on the wheels would look good. Im not stuck on the Barstows...I just like the fact Black Rhino has 5x5 wheels. Alot of manufactures that ive found that arent ridiculously expensive are dual drilled...and I dont want that if I can avoid it. Thank you for your input though. it is greatly appreciated. I reread my first comment again and i sounded kinda like a dick. My apologies...I had just gotten to work so wasnt thinking clearly. They also have the Sentinel in Cobalt blue...but those are 8.5 wide which is good but still -18 offset...looks like its back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jdclampett

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Garage door installer
So i do like the Bronze/Black Barstows. They are 17x8 with +30 offset...which if calculations are correct with 285/70r17s would have a +7mm scrub radius...which is a little over 1/4 inch...i would assume that 1/4 inch is safe enough to not cause any extra wear and tear on components?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So i do like the Bronze/Black Barstows. They are 17x8 with +30 offset...which if calculations are correct with 285/70r17s would have a +7mm scrub radius...which is a little over 1/4 inch...i would assume that 1/4 inch is safe enough to not cause any extra wear and tear on components?
You won't notice any effects there, only when you go out quite a bit like that other setup. Should work well, just keep in mind being close to the inside like the stock 7.5 +44 wheels there's more chance for contacting inner fender, suspension components, but you sound like you're planning on mild adventures so it's all good :)

OP
OP

Jdclampett

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Garage door installer
You won't notice any effects there, only when you go out quite a bit like that other setup. Should work well, just keep in mind being close to the inside like the stock 7.5 +44 wheels there's more chance for contacting inner fender, suspension components, but you sound like you're planning on mild adventures so it's all good :)
Thank you so much for your advice/input. Im not new to working on vehicles, but modifying in any capacity I am green as grass lol.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
285/75r17 on Sport S wheels powdered coated gloss black

You can get Sport S takeoff wheels for $150 or less. It would be really expensive to get 20-21lb wheels aftermarket

My friend, those are friggin' sweet!!
Sponsored