Exploring North Carolina

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
If anyone wants to put together a Hurricane Creek trail ride this spring, I would like to join in. I’m near Charlotte.
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
@Tank the Jeep

I am up for a Hurricane trip once spring arrives.
Also, I hope to have some easy rides for folks who want to run the fire roads around Wilsons Creek area. The rides will include some relatively short, easy/medium hikes for those who are interested. Hikes will include waterfalls and scenic views.

Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina harper20

Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina IMG_2958

Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina IMG_2348

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
@Tank the Jeep

I am up for a Hurricane trip once spring arrives.
Also, I hope to have some easy rides for folks who want to run the fire roads around Wilsons Creek area. The rides will include some relatively short, easy/medium hikes for those who are interested. Hikes will include waterfalls and scenic views.

Where is Wilsons creek? If it's not too far out, then I'm in.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
@Tank the Jeep

Wilsons Creeks is North of Hickory and Lenior.
Wilsons Creek is also designated a wild and scenic river.
The headwaters for Wilsons Creek are up in the Grandfather Mnt area and the Blueridge Parkway (BP).

From Charlotte, go North on Hwy 321 N.
Once in Lenoir, go North West.
There are several fire roads to get from Wilsons creek area to the BP or Blocking Rock NC.
There is an amazing amount of trails, hiking, water falls, scenic views, lakes, etc. all in that area.
Also, some of the best mountain biking and road biking in NC is in that general area.

Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
@Tank the Jeep

Wilsons Creeks is North of Hickory and Lenior.
Wilsons Creek is also designated a wild and scenic river.
The headwaters for Wilsons Creek are up in the Grandfather Mnt area and the Blueridge Parkway (BP).

From Charlotte, go North on Hwy 321 N.
Once in Lenoir, go North West.
There are several fire roads to get from Wilsons creek area to the BP or Blocking Rock NC.
There is an amazing amount of trails, hiking, water falls, scenic views, lakes, etc. all in that area.
Also, some of the best mountain biking and road biking in NC is in that general area.
I really want to learn more about this area. I tend to head to Brevard and Old Fort, but am actually closer to the Wilsons Creek area and would love to understand the forest roads / dirt roads that would be fun to explore.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I really want to learn more about this area. I tend to head to Brevard and Old Fort, but am actually closer to the Wilsons Creek area and would love to understand the forest roads / dirt roads that would be fun to explore.
That’s three of us. sounds like a wheeling trip when it warms up a little.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
For those who wish to learn more about the Grandfather Mountain area, Blueridge Trail, and Wilsons Creek, a coffee table book by Mr. Randy Johnson, " Grandfather Mountain, The History and Guide to an Appalachian Icon" is a great start.

If folks like, there is a GroupMe for wheeling in NC. I am not in charge of it, but I hope to be posting upcoming trips as I am usually in the area on the weekends, either hiking, biking, Jeeping, kayaking, etc. Send me a PM if interested. The focus will be family friendly trips.

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just picked up a new Jeep and I would love to check out some trails in NC. I had a TJ about 15 years ago when I lived in Maryland but I have no clue where to wheel around here.

Sponsored

zeroquanta

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
Familiar with some of the spots here but definitely not all. Wish we lived closer to the mountains, not a huge fan of Durham.... Used to live up in Hendersonville when younger and I love the sound of exploring forest roads in Pisgah. My wife and I have been considering heading towards the mountains to seek out some snow soon.

@SG19JLUR Any plans for customizing the new jeep yet?

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
@SG19JLUR,

There's a GroupMe for folks who live in your area. One of the guys who runs it is on this forum and will likely send you an invite soon.

Also, most weekends, I'm either hiking, mnt biking, road biking, kayaking etc. in the Wilsons Creek area or higher in elevations in the Grandfather Mnt area. Often I'm traveling on the fire roads to get from point A to B in the Wilsons/Grandfather Mnt areas. If interested in one of those trips, you are always welcome to PM me and see if one of the outdoor adventures would be of interest. Here's a couple of shots of a new-to-me trail found this past weekend, Woodruff Ridge.

Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina WoodRuff Ridge Road
Jeep Wrangler JL Exploring North Carolina WoodRuff Ridge

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Just picked up a new Jeep and I would love to check out some trails in NC. I had a TJ about 15 years ago when I lived in Maryland but I have no clue where to wheel around here.
If you are interested in the chat group where we plan outings in/around NC just message me. Include your full name and cell phone number and I will get you added. Really good group of guys/gals. All experience levels welcome.

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Familiar with some of the spots here but definitely not all. Wish we lived closer to the mountains, not a huge fan of Durham.... Used to live up in Hendersonville when younger and I love the sound of exploring forest roads in Pisgah. My wife and I have been considering heading towards the mountains to seek out some snow soon.

@SG19JLUR Any plans for customizing the new jeep yet?
I already added 315/70/17 BFG KO2's to the stock wheels and got a Tazer Mini to correct the speedometer and tweak a few other things.

I have a set of Bronze Venomrex VR-501's on order, as well as a 2.5" lift. Looks like you're running the same wheels? Hopefully they will be here in the next week or so. I went with Rough Country spacers because they're cheap and I'm not sure if I want to stick with 35's or go to 37's. But I ordered a Steer Smarts front adjustable trackbar, a rear trackbar relocation bracket, and a set of longer Mopar lower control arms. So even though it's just a cheap spacer lift it should drive and steer pretty well.

I plan to change the front bumper and add some side steps. I'm fine with getting in but the kids were struggling at stock height, so I don't know if they can get in/out when it's lifted on 35's. I guess I'll wait and see, but I have a feeling my next mod will be side steps 😅

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
@SG19JLUR,

There's a GroupMe for folks who live in your area. One of the guys who runs it is on this forum and will likely send you an invite soon.

Also, most weekends, I'm either hiking, mnt biking, road biking, kayaking etc. in the Wilsons Creek area or higher in elevations in the Grandfather Mnt area. Often I'm traveling on the fire roads to get from point A to B in the Wilsons/Grandfather Mnt areas. If interested in one of those trips, you are always welcome to PM me and see if one of the outdoor adventures would be of interest. Here's a couple of shots of a new-to-me trail found this past weekend, Woodruff Ridge.

That looks awesome. We have 3 kids...ages 3, 5, and 8. Do you think this is something they could handle? We've been on a few hiking trips but it was pretty smooth terrain.
Sponsored