Sponsored

HD Front Camera setup for under $75, no Tazer required?

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
I like the way this is going. I was hoping to find a solution to hook up a second camera on the back of my RV and be able to switch back and forth based on if I was towing it at the time. I think this will work for that once it can be figured out.
Honestly, this is all I'm trying to do. Provide an option at a very reasonable price.
Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I've been waiting to see when the parts listings update to include the Wrangler trail camera option. Hopefully that will at least give a better idea of how the video processor gets mounted and possibly some more adapters. I really want to take the first step and buy the front camera module soon.

In addition, I've been seeing rumors of the new UCONNECT v5 coming out, which is a total redesign and a shift to running on the Android platform. I'm really tempted to just wait for the (hopefully) 2022 models to get updated, see what they are using for cameras, and do a full upgrade of head unit and all at that point. But that will be $$$ for sure.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I finally came to a realization as we where working through this process... that the uConnect radios, as nice as they are, have their flaws. Cheap and easy alternatives have become available. All told, I spent $389 and have a perfectly functioning head unit, rear camera, and front camera. Nearly all of the original features where retained, and it can do so much more.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...it-install-for-the-jeep-jl.60675/post-1369321

Dmk679

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 4Dr

Sponsored

coloradojeeper

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1959 CJ5, 2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Any updates on this? I have a 2021 Wrangler with the 7" screen and would love to get a front facing cameras.

coloradojeeper

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1959 CJ5, 2021 Wrangler Rubicon
They never responded, so I never bought it. I just got the Tazer and his camera hook up.

Scott
which camera hook up? There was a promising link sent for multiple cameras, but, it seems to be perpetually out of stock. I found another option for multiple cameras, but, I am currently developing it. One camera would be very in-expensive but, would like to know how much interest there would be for doing the R&D on it.

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
which camera hook up? There was a promising link sent for multiple cameras, but, it seems to be perpetually out of stock. I found another option for multiple cameras, but, I am currently developing it. One camera would be very in-expensive but, would like to know how much interest there would be for doing the R&D on it.
The Z-Automotive camera connection and power cables. I didn’t want the camera in the grill, so I got a different camera.
I really would like one with the moving lines, but not enough to buy a new Jeep for. If that could be done I would definitely be interested.

Scott

Cpy79

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
The Z-Automotive camera connection and power cables. I didn’t want the camera in the grill, so I got a different camera.
I really would like one with the moving lines, but not enough to buy a new Jeep for. If that could be done I would definitely be interested.

Scott

Sponsored

Cpy79

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
So….late to the dance here, but just got my 4xe. I was thinking about buying a stock rear camera, mounting in my grill, and running the power through one of the Aux switches. Is it possible to splice into the existing rear view camera input, ultimately, using both Aux switches to select each camera? Dedicate one Aux switch to the power line to existing rear camera, linked to ignition. When I want to use grill camera, turn off Aux to rear camera, and then turn on power to front? Basically view front camera through rear camera input in HD. Anybody tried this?

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
So….late to the dance here, but just got my 4xe. I was thinking about buying a stock rear camera, mounting in my grill, and running the power through one of the Aux switches. Is it possible to splice into the existing rear view camera input, ultimately, using both Aux switches to select each camera? Dedicate one Aux switch to the power line to existing rear camera, linked to ignition. When I want to use grill camera, turn off Aux to rear camera, and then turn on power to front? Basically view front camera through rear camera input in HD. Anybody tried this?
Someone was looking at that, but the type of signal (and connection) was kind of unique for the back up camera system. So there wasn’t a off the shelf switcher that would work. Wasn’t me though, so I might have it wrong.

Scott

Cpy79

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Someone was looking at that, but the type of signal (and connection) was kind of unique for the back up camera system. So there wasn’t a off the shelf switcher that would work. Wasn’t me though, so I might have it wrong.

Scott

Other thought is the annoying backup range overlay that would come up. Thinking about another route.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
The easiest answer that I can give you to accomplish a cheap, good, front view is to use a tablet and a USB backup camera.

I am experimenting with a raspberry pi and 7" screen, mounted just above the radio, to display my front usb adapted AHD camera along with a bunch of vehicle information from the canbus. I'm writing a python interface at the moment to make it all come together, but it's not there yet.

My mount design is here, if you are so inclined...
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5207841
Sponsored