Heated steering wheel too hot

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Most of the time, mine is just warm enough and other times almost untouchable. Ive had mine go off by itself on high limit before.
Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I simply put on a good pair of gloves when it gets too hot, allows me to keep my hands warm without burning myself!

On a more serious note, other cars that I have had would cycle on and off so you don't get too hot, the jeep does seem to get hotter than most. even the heated seats (cloth) get crazy hot pretty quickly.

Now back to that recipe that uses the heated steering wheel to cook bacon...

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
The easy solution is to drive while wearing a pair of oven mitts.

But seriously, the heated steering wheel is one feature I can't live without. If only the shift knob were heated too. ;)

swish77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
Bumping this thread with a related question .... Just picked up my 2021 Wrangler Sport S and I find that the heated steering wheel heats up very quickly, gets nice and hot, but then cools down significantly after about 10 minutes or so. Does it heat back up to "hot" again after a certain amount of time, or is it normal for it to stay just luke warm after the initial hot start-up?

I guess I could always turn it off and then turn it back on to get it into "hot" mode again, assuming that would work.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping this thread with a related question .... Just picked up my 2021 Wrangler Sport S and I find that the heated steering wheel heats up very quickly, gets nice and hot, but then cools down significantly after about 10 minutes or so. Does it heat back up to "hot" again after a certain amount of time, or is it normal for it to stay just luke warm after the initial hot start-up?

I guess I could always turn it off and then turn it back on to get it into "hot" mode again, assuming that would work.
I find that after initial warm up it heats by "zone" and the heated parts rotate. See if another part of the wheel is being heated when you find one part is not.

Sponsored

swish77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find that after initial warm up it heats by "zone" and the heated parts rotate. See if another part of the wheel is being heated when you find one part is not.
I'll double-check, but it seems that the entire steering wheel cools down and stays lukewarm, but not "hot" in any one section and/or on any rotation of heat. Only had the Jeep two days, so I'll run some tests. Thanks.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I've had several vehicles with heated steering wheels, with one of them being a Grand Cherokee, and I don't feel any different with the JL as with the others. They will heat your hands up while wearing gloves. I don't think they are there to constantly heat up non gloved hands. Your car heating up while driving should take care of non covered cold hands.

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I have the opposite problem. 2020 JLU. It gets Luke warm at best.

Now the seats - whew, can probably get a burn off of them, lol. Anyway to test\check if it is in fact working properly? The wheel that is.

Now the heated grips on my Harley - you can literally fry bacon on them if you crank them to max, lol.

swish77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had several vehicles with heated steering wheels, with one of them being a Grand Cherokee, and I don't feel any different with the JL as with the others. They will heat your hands up while wearing gloves. I don't think they are there to constantly heat up non gloved hands. Your car heating up while driving should take care of non covered cold hands.
Yeah, I guess it depends on the manufacturer. I owned a 2015 BMW X1 for a couple of years and that heated steering got hot AND stayed hot. I guess the Jeep steering wheel is supposed to give you a quick jolt of heat in the cold, but is not meant to maintain the heat at a high level.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Temperature is tough anyways because people have very different ideas about hot and cold due to various reasons.
Sponsored