35s on a stock Willys JLU

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Finding parts for the willys edition could get frustrating as it’s like the rubi and sport had a child and it became this:

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a stock Willys JLU 242C146E-557E-4516-9FB4-C101ACFED928

In my knowledge, the willys edition is basically a sport with rubi suspension and heavier duty brakes. Was frustrating to try and find the right parts as I never truly knew when ordering if it would fit.

35/12.5/17s BFG Mud terrains with no lift, rubi suspension, sport fenders (but obviously trimmed) and the stock Moab wheels.

Very minimal rubbing at full lock. Will be putting a 2.5 lift once it comes in but I’m loving the stance!

Shop told me they couldn’t get the spare tire on the tail gate which really bothered me. I decided to play around with it myself. Needed to raise the third brake light and an extra hand. It fits but definitely rubs the sport rear bumper which I kind of like since It support: the weight of the tire.
Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a stock Willys JLU 2D49841A-4B3E-40A3-9E36-BE6649FB0F4D
(will be getting a relocation/reinforcement bracket soon):

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a stock Willys JLU 432AB43A-52BE-46C2-BF21-0819201228B9

But yeah, hopefully this helps anyone with a willys edition JLU or a sport with rubi suspension takeoffs that is thinking about getting 35s. It works!

Jeep Wrangler JL 35s on a stock Willys JLU E89AF883-8192-4320-B426-FB2A5CD37997
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nice post!
Do you know the spring #s on your Willys? There seems to be some conflicting information about that suspension setup. I've heard it's just Rubicon shocks, and have also heard it's a full shock/spring Rubicon set. Sure looks like you've got more lift than a basic sport :)

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Nice looking Jeep. What front bumper do you have on?

You may experience some rubbing off road. After market fenders should fix that.

Good job so far.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Finding parts for the willys edition could get frustrating as it’s like the rubi and sport had a child and it became this:

In my knowledge, the willys edition is basically a sport with rubi suspension and heavier duty brakes. Was frustrating to try and find the right parts as I never truly knew when ordering if it would fit.

35/12.5/17s BFG Mud terrains with no lift, rubi suspension, sport fenders (but obviously trimmed) and the stock Moab wheels.

Very minimal rubbing at full lock. Will be putting a 2.5 lift once it comes in but I’m loving the stance!

Shop told me they couldn’t get the spare tire on the tail gate which really bothered me. I decided to play around with it myself. Needed to raise the third brake light and an extra hand. It fits but definitely rubs the sport rear bumper which I kind of like since It support: the weight of the tire.

But yeah, hopefully this helps anyone with a willys edition JLU or a sport with rubi suspension takeoffs that is thinking about getting 35s. It works!

I would highly recommend a different carrier, rather than a relocation bracket. I chose the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It's a very well made piece that allows both height and fore/aft adjustability. In my opinion, it's not a great idea to allow the spare to touch the bumper. Some will argue that it adds support, but when things start getting bouncy the body and frame are designed to move independently of each other. Would you want the bumper pushing on the spare, increasing the stress on the tailgate? The Alpha allows the spare to be mounted higher to fully clear the bumper, and also keeps it in close to the tailgate so the tire remains pressed against the rubber support bumpers. The latter does not happen when using a relocation bracket.

Awesome looking Jeep you've put together!

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Nice looking Jeep. What front bumper do you have on?

You may experience some rubbing off road. After market fenders should fix that.

Good job so far.
thank you!

rampage rock rage bumper

Sponsored

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I would highly recommend a different carrier, rather than a relocation bracket. I chose the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It's a very well made piece that allows both height and fore/aft adjustability. In my opinion, it's not a great idea to allow the spare to touch the bumper. Some will argue that it adds support, but when things start getting bouncy the body and frame are designed to move independently of each other. Would you want the bumper pushing on the spare, increasing the stress on the tailgate? The Alpha allows the spare to be mounted higher to fully clear the bumper, and also keeps it in close to the tailgate so the tire remains pressed against the rubber support bumpers. The latter does not happen when using a relocation bracket.

Sound advice. Thank you!!

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Never seen anyone run a KO2 as a spare to a set of KM2s - just for emergencies I guess could work but I'm not sure I could ever mount up a completely different tire to one side of an axle than the one on the opposite.

Jeep looks great on the 35s - I even like how low it sits so long as you're not rubbing. If I wasn't trailing mine all the time I'd probably make mine sit low like that too. Makes the tires seem even meatier.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR

The Teraflex Alpha HD carrier does not do anything for tailgate or hinge strength/reinforcement, is this correct? I would assume that would be a concern as well?

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
The Teraflex Alpha HD carrier does not do anything for tailgate or hinge strength/reinforcement, is this correct? I would assume that would be a concern as well?
It simply replaces the factory plastic carrier with added beef and the ability to be adjusted up/down and in/out to keep the spare both tight to the gate and supported by the factory rubber bumpers.

Teraflex was supposed to follow up with a hinged tailgate reinforcement to pair with this carrier, but it sounds like delays are increasing. I'm hearing sometime next year.

The carrier alone is a great solution for someone sticking with 35's, and was otherwise contemplating a couple hundred dollar relocation bracket for their stock carrier. In my opinion, a hinged reinforcement is needed for larger spares on a vehicle that will be bouncing out on the rocks.

I'm now on 38's and am building my Jeep for rock crawling. I can't wait that long for Teraflex, so I'm now eyeing the full Cavfab hinged tire carrier.

jdusza1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Vehicle Showcase

Appreciate your comment. I have added the rubi suspension and rims to my 2018 JLUS and am putting on 35s. I found a knockoff ginge bracket. Nor planning on lift if possible

TB22

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Willys looks Sweet!

So the 35x12.5‘s are on stock Willys suspension? Or you added the Rubicon Springs to make it work? I just picked up a 2021 Willys last week and looking to go somewhere between 33s and 35s with Rubicon Fenders, wheel spacers and no suspension mods.

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Willys looks Sweet!

So the 35x12.5‘s are on stock Willys suspension? Or you added the Rubicon Springs to make it work? I just picked up a 2021 Willys last week and looking to go somewhere between 33s and 35s with Rubicon Fenders, wheel spacers and no suspension mods.
Yup, Willy’s stock suspension!

TB22

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, Willy’s stock suspension!
Awesome! I’m looking forward to upgrading my Willys too and will share pics along the way. This is our family’s first Jeep and my first wrangler in probably 20 years, so it‘s gonna be fun and we are pumped!
Sponsored