Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Just so you are aware the axles are the same on the rubicon, sport and Sahara the only difference is spline count 29 sport/Sahara and 32 rubicon and if you have the 44 rear it is the same axle. The only other difference is the rubicon shafts are longer. As far as fuel mileage I get 18-19 highway and 16-17 city. Only dropped by 1mpg from stock tires. There is no strain in the trans as 7th and 8th are overdrive gears anyways and are there for cafe standards.
Rubicon has 44 front and rear. sports dont. I have the dana 44 rear and it is beefier than the front axle. are you saying they can withstand the same stress?
Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
This is our sport S with 35s, before it got lifted. The only thing I had to do was remove the airdams between the fenders and front bumper. After that there was no rubbing at all for ON ROAD driving. However, in this configuration there is very little flex and it isnā€™t appropriate for off roading. The wheels on this are Fuel Beast wheels with a -12 offset and 6ā€ of back spacing.

For a lift, we went with @RanchoShocks cheapest 3.5ā€ lift. The ride was a bit rougher but it was amazing what this thing could do off road. If you go that route I only recommend putting track bars and geometry correction brackets on it. Iā€˜ve heard good things about the dynotrac lifts as well.

43503508992_a5bd7cd828_b.jpg
Wow I thought we needed at least 4.5 BS to clear suspension parts on a sport

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Rubicon has 44 front and rear. sports dont. I have the dana 44 rear and it is beefier than the front axle. are you saying they can withstand the same stress?
Rubicon can handle more stress without a doubt because of the spline count. Where you really see the difference is in anything bigger than a 35. All of the new Dana axles on the JLā€™s have the same size shaft and the axle tubes are all the same as well. As long as you arenā€™t locking the front axle itā€™ll handle 35ā€™s all day long. The tubes are the same thickness,the only upside to the Rubicon is that the ring and pinion are bigger on the m220 m210 vs the sport setup m186/m200. I have the M220 rear and obviously the 186 front. Been running 35ā€s for the last 15k miles and wheel regularly on the rocks and have had no issues. I definitely wouldnā€™t say it was suboptimal as these axles are made for the stresses of 35ā€s.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Rubicon can handle more stress without a doubt because of the spline count. Where you really see the difference is in anything bigger than a 35. All of the new Dana axles on the JLā€™s have the same size shaft and the axle tubes are all the same as well. As long as you arenā€™t locking the front axle itā€™ll handle 35ā€™s all day long. The tubes are the same thickness,the only upside to the Rubicon is that the ring and pinion are bigger on the m220 m210 vs the sport setup m186/m200. I have the M220 rear and obviously the 186 front. Been running 35ā€s for the last 15k miles and wheel regularly on the rocks and have had no issues. I definitely wouldnā€™t say it was suboptimal as these axles are made for the stresses of 35ā€s.
How about the gears? did you regear? whats your experience with that.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
How about the gears? did you regear? whats your experience with that.
I havenā€™t regeared. To me for an extra 1mpg it isnā€™t worth it. I live in NJ so I donā€™t have to deal with a ton of hills or mountains itā€™s mostly flat so I have no problem hitting 8th gear for the most part up to 72mph. Once I get above that it likes to stay in 7th if I have to give it any extra pedal. I run right around 2200rpm at 78mph so to go to 4.56 which would put me around 1800rpm at that speed is enough of a gain for me to justify $2k.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
FWIW, the Mopar "2-inch" lift netted 4.4" in the front and 3+ in the rear on my diesel Willys.

So I have the JLUS diesel. When the dealership put 35ā€™s on with no lift there was rubbing on the suspension under hard lock. Fixed it with the mopar lift.

0883CD42-8DF3-4103-9FFA-505163120B48.jpeg

B40C7C53-524B-47D6-A924-628BCCC70693.jpeg

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
not entirely correct; my diesel Willys (a sport) with the Tow Package most definitely came with the D44s front and rear.

Azrael5988

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU eco diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe cause it is diesel? interesting. can you confirm this?
from The Fca groups website.
ā€œAll Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel modelsā€”Sport, Sahara and Rubiconā€”feature third-generation Dana 44 front and rear heavy-duty axles. Additionally, all Wrangler EcoDiesel models feature a 3.73 axle ratio.ā€

OP
OP

JL4117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep jl
if youre going 35s with a proper lift it WILL be high. If you care about MPGs theyll be gone. And it is going to ride noticeably different. That combined with the small axles and strain on your transmission if you dont regear. For a daily driver a sport on 35s is suboptimal. Just being realistic, know the cons. But yeah the JLU on 35s looks just right I agree!, and the JL sport axles have shown to handle 35s so far, lots of people doing it. For the rest of the components idk as these jeeps arent old yet. Not trying to scare you, just think it through.

Have you consider 33s? theyre smaller but more than sufficient for light off roading and way less stress on your Jeep.
I suppose I should of been more specific when I called it a "daily driver". She runs a home based daycare and thr jeep may be used 3-4 days a week maybe lol. We live outside of NYC so we travel into jersey to do shopping and use the jeep to travel upstate new york, typical random adventures can be 100 miles on thr highway so the roughness of the ride isn't going to be a deal breaker as much as the noise. I had a 2001 xj lifted 6.5 inches. It was a rough ride but she loved it. She hated the noise from the mud terrains on the highway though. So I'm trying to make it so it doesn't feel like we're sailing on the high way with a huge lift on 37s or anything and also keep road noise from tires down some. A little rougher ride isn't necessarily a deal breaker lol.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Tube diameter and thickens is the same, tube length is shorter on lesser options.
If anything, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that a JL Sport or Sahara housing would be a bit stronger than a JL Rubicon's being that they they use the same tubes and are narrower (shorter tube). And so that there's no confusion, I am specifically talking about the "housing" and NOT the axle shafts or gears.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose I should of been more specific when I called it a "daily driver". She runs a home based daycare and thr jeep may be used 3-4 days a week maybe lol. We live outside of NYC so we travel into jersey to do shopping and use the jeep to travel upstate new york, typical random adventures can be 100 miles on thr highway so the roughness of the ride isn't going to be a deal breaker as much as the noise. I had a 2001 xj lifted 6.5 inches. It was a rough ride but she loved it. She hated the noise from the mud terrains on the highway though. So I'm trying to make it so it doesn't feel like we're sailing on the high way with a huge lift on 37s or anything and also keep road noise from tires down some. A little rougher ride isn't necessarily a deal breaker lol.
I had the rubicon takeoffs and 2.5" rough country spacer lift (still have it actually) with 35s for 12k miles and no problems even with offroading. Mpg took a slight hit but I still enjoyed the heck out of it and it looked great. I think it's ok to do even though it may not be optimal.

I regeared to 4.88s two weeks ago and. It definitely ran better but if you aren't offroading and putting lots of use on it to where you notice the difference then you can get by. I swapped to 37s a couple days ago and that feels slightly sluggish compared to 4.88s and 35s. I'm pretty sure 37s would be too much for the 3.45s. but 4.88s have a good balance with highway driving. I'm also wondering if I would have just done 5.13s if I could redo it.

If you like the look of 35s and want a slight lift I think the rubicon takeoffs with the rc spacer lift is very budget friendly and works well. Oh I'd also recommend getting the longer mopar LCAs at least for around $80.
Sponsored