Installed Dynomax Muffler Delete

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just put the dynomax pipe on and so far I love it. That stock muffler is HUGE!!! Felt like I was wrestling a live pig out from under there. I think it's quite a pleasant sound, though I don't have a heavy foot either. Ran with the top down yesterday and like the sound.
Sponsored

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
I've had mine on/off a number of times over the past 12 months.

I really like it for driving around town, especially with my 6 speed. But each time, maybe after a week or two once I've done a few runs on the freeway at 75mph, I end up taking it off. There's some decent drone at that speed, plus the wife wasn't a huge fan. Keeping the speed around 60mph it wasn't near as bad with the droning. A month or so later, I get the itch to put it back on... :facepalm:

Coming from a MK6 VW GTI with a full turbo-back exhaust, you'd think I'd be used to drone by now, but that seemed to have much less drone than the Jeep with this thing bolted on.

Maybe I'll put it back on, but first notch it to see if that helps - maybe without the notch there's a slight leak back there that's adding to the noise? I'm sure the drone won't be gone, but maybe I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it.

Anybody else noticing this drone? How about those who have added a muffler in-line, has that helped?

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I can certainly hear it at highway speeds but I haven't found it to be at all unpleasant. At the speeds I drive, it mostly fades into the road noise. I really like the turbo whine, barely audible, at an idle. More than anything it reminds me of a sport bike. It's snarly and raspy off idle but not really loud. I have taken to shifting the 8 speed manually as it's much more fun to listen to. I really like it and am leaving it on full time. It's LOUD on cold start! That goes away in a couple minutes.

Chrishegs27

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
On the highway it was too much for me. I have a hard top and the echo or reverb I get at highway speeds was enough for me to go back to stock. I do miss it at low speeds and driving around town.
I will say with the top off I didn’t mind the sound at all. I’ll go back and forth a few more times before potentially posting the muffler delete for sale.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a soft top but can definitely see how a hardtop would act like a speaker enclosure. That would make quite a difference.

Sponsored

Chrishegs27

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I have a soft top but can definitely see how a hardtop would act like a speaker enclosure. That would make quite a difference.
Right? I thought it was just me. Contemplated getting headliners to see if that helped but those are low on the totem poll of “wants” for the Jeep.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My son has a JL hardtop and it seems to me to sound much louder inside. I'm retired military and half-deaf so don't trust my assessment but I do think it's quite a bit different....even to me.

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I've had mine on/off a number of times over the past 12 months.

I really like it for driving around town, especially with my 6 speed. But each time, maybe after a week or two once I've done a few runs on the freeway at 75mph, I end up taking it off. There's some decent drone at that speed, plus the wife wasn't a huge fan. Keeping the speed around 60mph it wasn't near as bad with the droning. A month or so later, I get the itch to put it back on... :facepalm:

Coming from a MK6 VW GTI with a full turbo-back exhaust, you'd think I'd be used to drone by now, but that seemed to have much less drone than the Jeep with this thing bolted on.

Maybe I'll put it back on, but first notch it to see if that helps - maybe without the notch there's a slight leak back there that's adding to the noise? I'm sure the drone won't be gone, but maybe I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it.

Anybody else noticing this drone? How about those who have added a muffler in-line, has that helped?
I have the Pypes version and added a resonator tip. It quieted it down somewhat and got rid of the drone. The tip has a perforated liner.

Scott

9B7869A8-946C-40CC-A7B6-56113BA7238C.jpeg

8645FB46-C054-4AEB-9E63-937DD5A92D70.png

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
Hey guys! How loud is the cold start with this tailpipe delete on the 3.6L? I'm concerned it may be too loud for my surrounding neighbors when I fire it up at 5am?

Sponsored

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Just me or the tip installed upside down?
It is, but I figured it directed the exhaust back instead of down. I intend on painting it. Bought the cheapest one I could find as I didn’t know if it would be enough reduction of the drone for me to Keep it and the delete.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I can’t believe anybody thinks this is too loud. You must have never owned v8’s with a great sounding exhaust.

This will probably offend people but I’m guessing these people also think the tires are too noisy. Its a jeep not a car.
Sponsored