MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have Farmers and they cover $10k in custom stuff without providing receipts (pay more for coverage). They’ll quote me coverage for more than that, but I’d have to turn in receipts. I’ve blown past $10k and probably need to collect receipts. I do track all my Jeep purchases in excel so shouldn’t be too hard to track them down. He explained to me that I really only need to worry about things that the Jeep doesn’t already have. For example, the Jeep has wheels and now it has different wheels. If a wheel needs replaced I would get reimbursed for the original wheel cost, so my liability is the delta. Not sure how that all fits in with the extra $10k coverage I purchased

I need to get a copy of the policy and read it. My agent is a friend and he wrote me an email about the off-road coverage if it’s on a listed road or something like that.
Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Note #19 posted above:

19. There is no coverage for any loss caused by participation in or preparing for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged.

Off road Rock Crawling and tipping over, water crossing too deep? Sounds kinda like "stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged" to me? Looks pretty doubtful you'll get anything paid for by your insurance company??

Guess I'll check with mine!!

Go Jeep!!!

Kahdir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Maybe I'm old school or just plain old....

If you don't have enough to replace it out of pocket, maybe you shouldn't off-road it (or race it for that matter).

Choosing to take the risk off-roading or racing should require separate insurance (which is offered in some cases).

Learn from the passenger seat (of an experienced driver) first then try easy trails until you feel comfortable with your spotters and the trails being traveled.

I'll agree with the OP on knowing your coverage, but filing a claim for an off-road or racing incident (timed or not; sanctioned or otherwise) just feels wrong to me.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Kahdir, correct just what I'm sayin' however with this I mentioned in the policy ya ain't agonna get paid anyway! I think all are saying, read your policies and make adjustments. So I'm saying if you expect to do major show off stuff ya better add on to your policy, cost a lot extra too!

I think folks are a bit naïve if they think their insurance company is going to pay off for a lot of off road accessory stuff damaged even in a on road situation will be surprised!

Go Jeep!!!

Kahdir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Kahdir, correct just what I'm sayin' however with this I mentioned in the policy ya ain't agonna get paid anyway! I think all are saying, read your policies and make adjustments. So I'm saying if you expect to do major show off stuff ya better add on to your policy, cost a lot extra too!

I think folks are a bit naïve if they think their insurance company is going to pay off for a lot of off road accessory stuff damaged even in a on road situation will be surprised!

Go Jeep!!!
I was pleasantly surprised i recovered some of the expense of mods I did to my 2010 Camaro (SS/RS). Car was totaled during inclement weather... asked about buying the motor back, that's where the agent/adjuster suggested I provide receipts. Recovered about a 1/3rd of what I had in the mods plus the totaled value of the ~6 year old car. A good bit better than expected so I couldn't complain... I miss that car :(
10013329_1401424133469631_1614482452_n.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Maybe I'm old school or just plain old....

If you don't have enough to replace it out of pocket, maybe you shouldn't off-road it (or race it for that matter).

Choosing to take the risk off-roading or racing should require separate insurance (which is offered in some cases).

Learn from the passenger seat (of an experienced driver) first then try easy trails until you feel comfortable with your spotters and the trails being traveled.

I'll agree with the OP on knowing your coverage, but filing a claim for an off-road or racing incident (timed or not; sanctioned or otherwise) just feels wrong to me.
Sometimes it isnt recreational off-roading. My in-laws have a farm in Eastern KY. To get to parts of it you have to drive up rocks and old mining roads. For that matter there are county roads in such conditions. My thread on the first time off roading, all the roads I took were the ONLY path to get to the family property, including going through a creek and through an abandoned strip mine

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
Thanks OP for this post. I emailed my agent to verify my coverage. would hate to damage the Jeep only to find out it is not covered. YIKES!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Two thumbs up to Amica, they cover off roading accidents. They already replaced my rear axle from being damaged.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
JFYI...they dropped my 4x4 after they asked about my using it for recreational 4wheeling.
You should have just stated that it is not a recreation vehicle. Its your everyday vehicle, In your discussions with them, you must have given them the idea that the major use of your jeep was for recreational purposes. You don't have to do that to be covered for off roading. Too much info Bro.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Insurance is all about the " fine print ", be sure to read the exclusions. Underwriters are looking for any excuse to avoid paying out claims, they have suffered massive losses through fire, floods, storms, calamities of every description. Social Media is fair game too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Two thumbs up to Amica, they cover off roading accidents. They already replaced my rear axle from being damaged.
where were you wheeling? Geico has told me they cover damage from rutted/dirt roads and such if the road was maintained by a gov agency and was intended for vehicle traffic

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
You should have just stated that it is not a recreation vehicle. Its your everyday vehicle, In your discussions with them, you must have given them the idea that the major use of your jeep was for recreational purposes. You don't have to do that to be covered for off roading. Too much info Bro.
Call Amica. I straight up told them we wheel it and they said I'm covered and then proved it when they cut me a $4k check after we cooked the rear axle.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I had a flop on a BLM trail in 2008 with my 2004 TJ Rubicon. There was about $6k worth of damage, mostly to hood, fender, windshield frame, windshield, door, soft top, and scratched wheels and rear corner armor (I had the stock wheels painted black). State Farm covered all of it ($0 deductible). When my agent asked where and how it happened, told her I was offroading on a BLM trail and the Jeep rolled into a gully where the trail had washed out.

I asked the body shop for the prices of the replacement parts, which they gave me. Their cost for a replacement soft top was pretty high, so I asked if they would purchase a Viking Fastback soft top for it, which was cheaper, and they agreed. They even repainted all of my wheels and rear corner armor since the black paint they used was slightly different than what I had used.

My agent asked if anything was damaged which wasn't stock and I told her about the painted wheels and corner armor. She said it was covered. I didn't check my policy, nor have I checked it for the JL, but will be doing so.

rollover 011a.jpg

Last edited:

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Flop...not rollover...unless you went on your top. ;)
yep, just a flop.....It's late where I'm at and way past my bedtime. Thanks! :blush:

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It was a recreational vehicle. It was a trailer queen. Wasn't a Jeep...it was a Toyota. I have 9 vehicles now. There's no hiding that some of them aren't "daily drivers".

I don't believe lying is a good practice.....and when asked pointed, direct questions....I'll be truthful in the very particular way the answer is worded. That's not the same as divulging "too much info". I answered only the specific questions asked by the agent.
Ok thanks for clarifying that I was incorrectly assuming it was a Jeep that you drove everyday and wanted to ensure it was covered when off road. I wasn't implying that you should Lie about your vehicle.
Sponsored