Sponsored

Check your insurance coverage/contract

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Even if you can afford to wreck an JLUR and buy another cash, it is prudent for everyone to know their insurance coverage contract limitations. Especially when it comes to mods and off-roading. For example:

A guy in the FB group totaled his Taco while “off-roading” on a state designated trail. His insurance, covered it.

But whether YOUR vehicle would be covered depends on the details. Like your state: what do they require insurers to cover? Your contract: what are you agreeing to in terms of parameters/definition?

For example: I have Geico. Great service. Great price ($150/mo cheaper than any other provider). I was getting conflicting responses on what if they covered "off roading" and "mods" but so far nailed it down to the following (and requested my coverage CONTRACT to verify)

They do and do not cover mods and “off roading”

What is off-roading? Anywhere not on a government maintained property intended for vehicular traffic. At first they said “paved”, but upon checking they found their definition only required it be maintained by a gov agency and intended for vehicular traffic. So, even a rutted rocky trail at a state park, if intended for traffic (such as an OHV trail at a state park), would (I suspect) be covered. However, your car going into a ditch on your own property, not covered, (unless it is paved, maybe). Certainly if you have property/land and you damage your car off-roading that is not covered. Paved may or may not include gravel. Ultimately an claims adjuster would decide, but they have at least some contract binding language that they can point to saying “we dont have to pay for that”

What about modifications? Any lift that raises or lowers your vehicle over 6” from factory height voids coverage. As in, your vehicle is no longer insured at that point for purposes of them having to pay anything at all: your damages, the mods, the other party, etc. Tires of “significantly size” also void coverage. What does that mean? Even the claims folks didnt know. By the way they read it, I could have a 5.5” lift and 40” tires, exceeding 6” height raise restrictions, and be covered. I, in my experience dealing with insurance claims and contracts, would interpret the language as they read to me to mean lift and tire above 6” voids coverage. They are silent on how they measure the 6 inches increase, from pumpkin or from top of vehicle?
Anything that increases performance, including horsepower, voids coverage on the vehicle. That’s right. They specifically have included turbos, exhaust mods, etc. Even a simple thing like a cold-air intake would let them wiggle out of coverage. But increasing off-road performance doesnt void coverage because they have provisions for that elsewhere.

Now, does that mean that there's been a case where someone had a 6.5" lift and 40s and crashed their Jeep on the highway and it was covered? Sure. But at least here in KY, with Geico (and so far from what I can tell the other major insurance companies), they could successfully avoid paying anything. I've ran across a couple cases (through my line of work) where folks didn't get the coverage they thought they did because they assumed what was in the actual contract they signed (be it auto or some other insurance policy)

So, what does your insurance limit? For those who needed a claim from off-roading damage, how did that go?
Sponsored

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I suggest reading your actual policy vs. what some call center person tells you. I have GEICO as well and there are no exclusions for any of those things you mention.

For example, these are the exclusions on my policy for physical damage (comprehensive & collision). If it's not in the policy they can't make up some random exclusion like "lifts over 6" " or "increases performance". Don't take my word for it, download a copy of your policy and read it (or even just search for some of those terms)

The only thing they might try and hang their hat on is the "fraud and misrepresentation" exclusion found later in the policy if they can prove you lied on the application to get the insurance. If the application and their underwriting guidelines say they won't write insurance on vehicles lifted over 6" or with modified performance and you say "no, I'm all stock" when you have 40" tires and a supercharger they will probably balk. But I don't recall any questions like that, bud do note that exclusion 13 below does say mods over $1000 are not covered for physical damage unless specifically added to the policy.

When The Physical Damage Coverages Do Not Apply
1. An auto used to carry passengers or goods for hire is
not covered. However, a vehicle used in an ordinary car
pool on a ride sharing or cost sharing basis is covered.
2. Loss due to war is not covered.
3. We do not cover loss to a non-owned auto when
used by the insured in the auto business.
4. There is no coverage for loss caused by and limited
to wear and tear, freezing, mechanical or electrical
breakdown or failure, unless that damage results from a
covered theft.
5. Tires, when they alone are damaged by collision, are not covered.
6. Loss due to radioactivity is not covered.
7. Loss to any tape, wire, record disc or other medium
for use with a device designed for the recording and/or
reproduction of sound is not covered.
8. We do not cover loss to any radar detector.
9. We do not cover trailers when used for business
or commercial purposes with vehicles other than
private passenger, farm or utility autos.
10. There is no coverage for a loss to an auto while being
used in the business of delivering food or food products
from a restaurant or retail business to a consumer.
11. There is no coverage for loss that results from nuclear exposure or explosion including resulting fire, radiation or
contamination.
12. There is no coverage for loss that results from bio-chemical attack or exposure to bio-chemical agents released as
a result of an act of terrorism.
13. We do not cover loss for custom parts or equipment, in excess of $1,000, unless the existence of those custom parts or equipment has been previously reported to us and an endorsement to the policy has been added
14. There is no coverage for any liability assumed under any contract or agreement.
15. There is no coverage for loss resulting from:
(a) The acquisition of a stolen vehicle;
(b) Any governmental, legal or other action to return a vehicle to its legal, equitable, or beneficial owner, or
anyone claiming an ownership interest in the vehicle;
(c) Any confiscation, seizure or impoundment of a vehicle by governmental authorities; or
(d) The sale of an owned auto.
16. There is no coverage for the destruction, impoundment, confiscation or seizure of a vehicle by governmental or
civil authorities due to its use by you, a relative or a permissive user of the vehicle in illegal activity.
17. We do not cover loss that results from the operation of a non-owned auto or temporary substitute auto that is
designed for use principally off public roads that is not registered for use on public roads.
18. There is no coverage under this Section for any person or organization while any motor vehicle is operated,
maintained or used as part of personal vehicle sharing facilitated by a personal vehicle sharing program.
19. There is no coverage for any loss caused by participation in or preparing for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged.
20. There is no coverage for any loss caused by the operation or use of a motor vehicle on a track designed primarily for racing or high speed driving. This does not apply if the motor vehicle is being used in connection with an activity other than racing, high speed driving or any competitive driving.
21. Section III does not apply to any vehicle, or series of vehicles, leased by you or a relative for less than six months
unless the vehicle is described, and a premium charge is shown for the vehicle for this coverage, in the declarations
of this policy.
22. Section III does not apply to any vehicle, or series of vehicles, regularly rented by you or a relative on a daily,
weekly or monthly basis unless the vehicle is described, and a premium charge is shown for the vehicle for this
coverage, in the declarations of this policy.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Does 15 C mean that if your vehicle is confiscated ( a guy with a badge takes your vehicle to pursue someone) your insurance won't cover it if damaged ?
Unlikely, but it must've happened..

Sponsored

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Does 15 C mean that if your vehicle is confiscated ( a guy with a badge takes your vehicle to pursue someone) your insurance won't cover it if damaged ?
Unlikely, but it must've happened..
Possibly, but I think it's more designed so you can't claim your car as stolen to get insurance money if it gets impounded for tickets or DUI, etc.

In that scenario I'd be filing a claim with the police department for damages their officer caused to my property.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I suggest reading your actual policy vs. what some call center person tells you. I have GEICO as well and there are no exclusions for any of those things you mention.
Oh I intend to. I had my contract read to me by both the service center and the claims center. As my post states. The actual policy/contract is too big to email (so they said) so they are mailing me a copy. But seeing as you were able to copy/paste something, there must be a smaller file size somewhere

So far on my Declerations page it states: Physical damage coverage will not cover loss for custom options on an owned automobile, including equipment, furnishings or finishings including paint, if the existence of those options has not been previously reported to us.

Can't find a digital copy of the contract but terms and definitions were read to me, so it exists

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I intend to. I had my contract read to me by both the service center and the claims center. As my post states. The actual policy/contract is too big to email (so they said) so they are mailing me a copy. But seeing as you were able to copy/paste something, there must be a smaller file size somewhere

So far on my Declerations page it states: Physical damage coverage will not cover loss for custom options on an owned automobile, including equipment, furnishings or finishings including paint, if the existence of those options has not been previously reported to us.

Can't find a digital copy of the contract but terms and definitions were read to me, so it exists
I just logged on to my online account and found the policy under the "Policy Documents" link. My declarations page says the same thing, but not covering the loss of custom parts is way different from having your whole claim denied.

I read that as when repairing vehicle damage they may pay for OEM shocks but not the increased cost for Falcons. I'd schedule a fancy Gobi or LOD overland rack and it's accessories for sure.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I just logged on to my online account and found the policy under the "Policy Documents" link. My declarations page says the same thing, but not covering the loss of custom parts is way different from having your whole claim denied.

I read that as when repairing vehicle damage they may pay for OEM shocks but not the increased cost for Falcons. I'd schedule a fancy Gobi or LOD overland rack and it's accessories for sure.
Ok so I had to go back to last year’s documents to find my policy. It is actually 3 separate documents to look at. I will start there but still requested a single pdf of my contract front-to-back as some documents I downloaded show they are part of a larger document (ie page 1 says it is page 15 of 280)

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so I had to go back to last year’s documents to find my policy. It is actually 3 separate documents to look at. I will start there but still requested a single pdf of my contract front-to-back as some documents I downloaded show they are part of a larger document (ie page 1 says it is page 15 of 280)
Yeah they have a lot of BS in them, and endorsements that change other endorsements. I encourage everyone to at least give their policy a once over and post any sections that look odd or concerning as it relates to off-road usage or equipment. It will be interesting to see what some companies exclude (or don't!).

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
post any sections that look odd or concerning as it relates to off-road usage or equipment.
So the only pertinent docs I could find are titled Family_Auto_Policy_Contract; Multi-Risk_Physical_Damage_Coverage; and Automobile_Policy_Amendment

None of them have the verbage or words, terms, definitions I was relayed by 3 separate Geico reps last night. Hence I requested the full contract, the document the folks on the phone were reading from. It was a few hundred pages long, file size too big to email, so the docs available to me are definitely not all the ones Geico has. But I did find the following:

In the first one, there is this bit
EXCLUSIONS >> When Section II Does Not Apply>>3
"You and your relatives are not covered for bodily injury sustained while occupying or when struck by:
(a) a farm-type tractor or other equipment designed for use principally off public roads, while not
upon public roads; or (b) a vehicle operated on rails or crawler-treads"

So tanks and bulldozers damaging your vehicle are not covered by KY Geico policies.

And the document in bold states at the top:
This cover sheet provides only a brief outline of some of the important features of your policy.
This is not the insurance contract and only the actual policy provisions will control. The policy itself sets forth, in detail, the rights and obligations of both you and your insurance company

So what was the document you used titled?

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
So the only pertinent docs I could find are titled Family_Auto_Policy_Contract; Multi-Risk_Physical_Damage_Coverage; and Automobile_Policy_Amendment

None of them have the verbage or words, terms, definitions I was relayed by 3 separate Geico reps last night. Hence I requested the full contract, the document the folks on the phone were reading from. It was a few hundred pages long, file size too big to email, so the docs available to me are definitely not all the ones Geico has. But I did find the following:

In the first one, there is this bit
EXCLUSIONS >> When Section II Does Not Apply>>3
"You and your relatives are not covered for bodily injury sustained while occupying or when struck by:
(a) a farm-type tractor or other equipment designed for use principally off public roads, while not
upon public roads; or (b) a vehicle operated on rails or crawler-treads"

So tanks and bulldozers damaging your vehicle are not covered by KY Geico policies.

And the document in bold states at the top:
This cover sheet provides only a brief outline of some of the important features of your policy.
This is not the insurance contract and only the actual policy provisions will control. The policy itself sets forth, in detail, the rights and obligations of both you and your insurance company

So what was the document you used titled?
Those first three documents are what I quoted from. It's the base policy and the amendments/endorsements that change the base policy.

Note the exclusion you quoted only applies to Section II coverage, so if you mount up tank treads and accidentally run over your brother while doing donuts in the mud, you have no coverage if he sues you for his medical bills/pain & suffering. But the cost to repair the dent his ass put in the fender is covered!

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Insurance is regulated by State. Every State is different.
Right. This thread is to raise awareness of that. I want to know how other states compare. Here in KY offroading in Jeeps isnt very popular. But in Colorado it is much more a lifestyle and I would bet there is legislation mandating coverage for trail riding and mods

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Major insurance companies are the worst! I have my Jeep insured with a guy named Vito. If someone hits my Jeep I don't receive money for repairs. However, Vito visits the guy who hurt my JL and throws him down a long flight of stairs.
Sponsored