JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
Sure have. A lot. In fact, the valley has been pretty socked with fog over the last few days, so I've been driving in the fog with both low beams and high beams as recently as yesterday.

My point is really that you should do what you want, based on how they look, since you're likely to do that anyway and the difference in "performance" will be insignificant.
I have had the DD pro fogs for at least a year now and as long as they aren't mounted sideways or backwards, they'll be help full.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
@Aonar

At 30 mph you travel 44 fps. That gives you two to three seconds before you've overrun fog lights, which typically provide between 100 - 130 feet of illumination. At 20 mph you have three to four seconds before you overrun your fog lights. They do not provide a benefit to the driver. They are so oncoming drivers can see you, that is their purpose. We've all been sold on an idea that they are for the driver to see better in fog, they do not provide that benefit unless you are traveling under 20 mph and even in those cases, they provide only a very minimal benefit; however, the benefit of driving with your headlights is significantly better (and overwhelming so) than fog lights (in fog).

Amber lights have a different wavelength and are better in fog, dust, etc., but again, in a fog lamp pattern they provide no benefit to the driver at speeds over 20 mph.

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
It doesn't matter where you mount them if it's relative to fog. Fog lamps do not help the driver (in fog), they help others see you. The beam of a fog lamp doesn't project far enough to be helpful for you to see, at about the 20 mph mark. At that point you're traveling too fast for the light to project far enough; you're over-running your light
Studies have found, contrary to most subjective statements, that your high-beams are actually the most effective way for you to see in fog. The idea that the light reflects back or things to that effect are not proven, they are false.
I have to drive in the fog to work almost daily this time of year. I use my high beams all the time, I can see further with them.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My opinion, and that of some automotive industry writers, is that the modern headlight has such a sharp cutoff as to make "fog lights" just about obsolete. But you're installing low kelvin (yellow) fogs and that has to be an advantage over modern LED high kelvin headlights. If I were in need of a dedicated fog, I'd install in the bumper fog position. Baja Designs has a bracket for the factory bumpers to install their Squadron line (4 Led reflectors). You can put colored lenses on their lights and you can have a lens that is a wide flat (fog) pattern on half the lenses and long range spots on the other half, and wire them separately. I have the Sqaudron combo (long range/wide flat) beams wired together. I also have a set of Rigid SAE fogs that I haven't installed yet. I'm thinking I'll install the and aim them way outboard for trail use and lighting the ditches for deer.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Many (at least several) manufacturers are doing and citing just that, modern headlamps negate any advantage to having fog lights. I still run fog lights, but because I find the pattern useful off road. They provide little or no on road benefit for most people.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
"The golden rule of fog lights installation says that the perfect fog light setup is between 10 and 24inches above the ground."
"Despite its appearance, the fog usually does not touch the ground, but hovers about 18 inches above the surface."

Above are two of MANY similar quotes about fog and fog light height. I have at least 3 possibilities where to mount mine:

A: Passenger side as shown. This is the lowest spot at 17 inches above ground. They have a quick detach plug so I could always disconnect them when off road & if necessary. This would be the riskiest spot to put them BUT also the most effective by conventional wisdom. Even when on road, in the winter, drifts are an issue here in Iowa so I can see damage there too.

B: Drivers side as shown (dis-like this look the most) at 24" above ground.

C: On top of the bumper, on the visible bolts just to the inside of each tow hook. This will be the safest spot but 28" off the ground.

I can't believe this is bothering me so much. I know it will ultimately be a tradeoff of functionality vs safety vs appearances.

Does anyone have personal experience with:
Yellow fogs...mounted higher than 24"...and actually using them in fog, blowing snow and/or rain? Mainly asking because I believe they will look the best on top of the bumper, NOT in either of the 2 places I have them sitting ATM. THX in advance.

20211207_143011.jpg
i have the baja design squadron sport driving combo in amber. so far its working good in the location shown in the pic. the lights puts out a nice spread of light on the road. the top lights are the lp4.
Jeep Wrangler JL Yellow fog light height vs. effectiveness 1639257550552
Sponsored