Wrangler's & Mods...

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I ordered my 19' Ram Longhorn exactly the way I wanted it, only thing I did was add 35" KO2's and ceramic tint on delivery day. Fast forward 34,000 miles and that is all I have done, no desire for other mods. Love this truck!

So, I ordered my 20' Rubi 2-door exactly the way I wanted and thought there would be just a few mods...Like bumpers, winch and audio upgrade. (I did not order the Alpine upgrade due to the location of the factory sub on 2-door JL's) Boy was I wrong...Before I knew what happened I was bitten by the mod bug. At just 3,000 miles I have already spent well north of $12,000 and that is all just parts, I have installed every part, nut and bolt myself. Thought I was nearing the end...But now looking to replace/increase the performance lost due to larger tires, added weight of steel front and rear bumpers, winch, heavy skid plates, etc.
I had thought of supercharging but my experience with aftermarket superchargers (including friends who have had it done) has been spotty at best. I have also noticed on past aftermarket supercharger kits that after install the A/C never seems to work quite as well-living in Arizona, this is not something I am not willing to compromise on.
I have added the Mopar CAI and waiting on Borla to release their 2-door Touring Climber before I install the Livernois 3.6 tune. As I wait for impatiently, I have found myself now thinking about maybe going to 4.56's or 4.88's...There will be a cure for the ChinaFlu long before there is a cure for this madness!

Anyone else purchase a Wrangler JL not expecting to do many mods/upgrades and then find themselves bitten by the mod bug?
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I ordered my 19' Ram Longhorn exactly the way I wanted it, only thing I did was add 35" KO2's and ceramic tint on delivery day. Fast forward 34,000 miles and that is all I have done, no desire for other mods. Love this truck!

So, I ordered my 20' Rubi 2-door exactly the way I wanted and thought there would be just a few mods...Like bumpers, winch and audio upgrade. (I did not order the Alpine upgrade due to the location of the factory sub on 2-door JL's) Boy was I wrong...Before I knew what happened I was bitten by the mod bug. At just 3,000 miles I have already spent well north of $12,000 and that is all just parts, I have installed every part, nut and bolt myself. Thought I was nearing the end...But now looking to replace/increase the performance lost due to larger tires, added weight of steel front and rear bumpers, winch, heavy skid plates, etc.
I had thought of supercharging but my experience with aftermarket superchargers (including friends who have had it done) has been spotty at best. I have also noticed on past aftermarket supercharger kits that after install the A/C never seems to work quite as well-living in Arizona, this is not something I am not willing to compromise on.
I have added the Mopar CAI and waiting on Borla to release their 2-door Touring Climber before I install the Livernois 3.6 tune. As I wait for impatiently, I have found myself now thinking about maybe going to 4.56's or 4.88's...There will be a cure for the ChinaFlu long before there is a cure for this madness!

Anyone else purchase a Wrangler JL not expecting to do many mods/upgrades and then find themselves bitten by the mod bug?
I have never come across a supercharger causing problems with the AC in a Wrangler. The AC is not even touched. Why do you think it's affected? This leads me to believe that some of the other things you've heard about supercharging also needs to be reevaluated.

Do the re-gear and it'll help. This one runs 50" and Jay who is not keen about this or Jeeps in general says it goes well (stock engine and 5 speed):

If you're deep pocketed, why not do an engine swap?

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I wasn't going to do any mods; it's a lease, and even though I'm planning on buying at the end of the lease, I didn't want to mod until I do. Somehow though, I've changed the halogens with LEDs, front bumper, winch, aux lights, wheels, tires... Looking at a lift & bigger tires, roof rack, etc, etc, etc...

Yeah, madness indeed. also.... with all this covid hysteria, I've been working from home for months and barely even drive anymore... Doesn't seem to curb it though.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have never come across a supercharger causing problems with the AC in a Wrangler. The AC is not even touched. Why do you think it's affected? This leads me to believe that some of the other things you've heard about supercharging also needs to be reevaluated.

Do the re-gear and it'll help. This one runs 50" and Jay who is not keen about this or Jeeps in general says it goes well (stock engine and 5 speed):

Jay Leno: what engine you got under there?
Guy: it’s stock.
Jay Leno: 6 or 8?

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler's & Mods... C3462712-DAC1-4822-8E69-04473F828B4F

OP
OP

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX

When a OEM manufacture offers a supercharged model, they do not just bolt on a supercharger and call it a day...There are lots of engineering and design modifications including the cooling and air conditioning systems.

If you restrict air flow to the A/C condenser you reduce efficiency and cooling performance. Fact.
I am not saying the A/C will not cool, just that its performance will be affected-especially in hotter climates.
Take a look below at pictures of a Wrangler JL before and after installing a supercharger...Airflow to both the A/C condenser and radiator have been compromised.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler's & Mods... Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 7.45.11 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler's & Mods... Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 7.45.42 PM

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
When a OEM manufacture offers a supercharged model, they do not just bolt on a supercharger and call it a day...There are lots of engineering and design modifications including the cooling and air conditioning systems.

If you restrict air flow to the A/C condenser you reduce efficiency and cooling performance. Fact.
I am not saying the A/C will not cool, just that its performance will be affected-especially in hotter climates.
Take a look below at pictures of a Wrangler JL before and after installing a supercharger...Airflow to both the A/C condenser and radiator have been compromised.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 7.45.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 7.45.42 PM.png
There are two problems with that argument

1. The pictures show some crap centrifugal system like Ripp or ProCharger and they use much thicker and bigger intercoolers because they're air to air heat exchangers and they move actual intake air (a large volume). Ripp even has an XL intercooler to replace their standard one. People buy such systems since they have very little knowledge of how things work. Factory systems often use water/air air/water heat exchangers, even with turbos.

2. Even though the 3.6 didn't come with an intercooler mounted in front of the radiator, since the JK days there were engine options that did have things mounted in front. E. g. The auto 5 speed came with a transmission cooler that the manuals did not. There was also a 2.8 turbo diesel JK. Now we have a 2L T which has an intercooler as well as the 3L D and the 2.2L D.

So, as long as it's designed correctly, a front mounted intercooler for a supercharger shouldn't cause problems. An extra front mounted fan might help a bit if there's less airflow.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I've got my under hood sound dampening material off and with the vented hood I'm getting much better cooling than I had before. Coolant goes down to 190F or a bit lower sometimes and it worries me.
Sponsored