Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

Some Other Key Points:

1. Don't talk to the other party's insurance company. That is the job of your insurance company.
Only if you're going through your own insurance, but there are pitfalls to this too. You owe your deductible on a first party claim. It is not your insurance company's job to negotiate on your behalf and there will be limits and exclusions on your own policy ($1k in aftermarket parts and accessories, as an example).

2. Don't let your insurance company weasel you down either. Remind them, as often as necessary, that the other party was at fault and their insurance company will reimburse yours.
The other insurance carrier cannot do a complete job without your help in understanding what happened. Only you can provide your statement. Want to prolong the experience, refuse to participate. Participate early on and watch the process go much more smoothly.

3. Using the same approach as item no. 2, tell your insurance company that you should not be held to a deductible in this case as you did nothing wrong, you did not cause the accident and the actions or inactions of others were the root cause of the loss. Remember, they will get reimbursed for your total claim so your deductible is a reimbursable item if they waive it.
The deductible is a contractual obligation you have with your insurance carrier, you have a policy/contract that states they will make payments, less your deductible. Reimbursement is not a given, and it may be at a percentage depending on the state and departments that govern insurance in your state. Depending on your state you may owe 100% of your deductible in every accident. Arbitration *may* get your deductible back, but only months later after and insurance/insurance hearing (if your state allows this).

4. Have receipts ready for the value of your mods. If your policy limits your recovery of costs associated with aftermarket parts, and your insurance company wants to keep to that limit, use the same approach as stated in #3 above. I had receipts and was eventually reimbursed for those items that were damaged or destroyed in the crash.
It's likely your insurance carrier won't provide coverage over the policy limits and that would need to be negotiated with the other person's insurance. Payment over policy limits is typically not going to happen. You have a contract with your carrier, and it's poor form for them to pay over policy limits in the "hopes" they get reimbursed by the claimant carrier.

5. If your insurance company totals your vehicle, and before you receive settlement on the claim, don't forget to remove any accessories that are serviceable from the vehicle.. I removed a few items from mine including the wheels and tires. I just had to provide a set of takeoffs to replace them. And don't forget your personal possessions!
Make sure your insurance carrier is aware, because it they pick up the salvage and it's missing something that was used to determine the value, you're on the hook for that. I did use to tell insureds/claimants they could keep things like wheels and tires if they didn't add value (which, again not all mods do) as long as there were wheels and tires on the vehicle when it got picked up.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Definitely not typical. In fact, some insurance companies assign the "injury" (liability) portion of the claim to a second adjuster so that the property and injury claims are handled appropriately and separately. Neck pain that occurs based on a disagreement in property value is also referred to as insurance fraud and is why you, me and everyone else pay so much in claims. Insurance fraud is so rampant and the cost are so high, we all pay for it.

Property damage claims are pretty objective. What does it cost to make you whole, to pay actual cash value. There are comparable vehicles out there, or it becomes a negotiation (which is still based on objective findings).

If you make an injury claim and there is no mechanism for injury, expect to have the claim closed until you incur medical expenses. Expect those fraudulent medical expenses to be denied and have to prove your case in court. I've been that adjuster that looked a fraudulent claimant in the eyes and said the statute of limitations is two years, file litigation, but until then there is no further need to make contact.

If you're only asking to be made whole, expect the process to go very smooth.
I had a shitty ass experience then lol. They really lowballed my jeep and offeree nothing for mods. Insurance was Metromile btw. They basically pulled the "comps" they wanted. They picked the cheapest jeeps they could find. Data was very biased.

I had to plot their dumb data in a histogram and it clearly showed it was skewed and did not show a normal distribution at all. So I found my own comps and fitted my data to a normal dist and sent that to them.

Another friend also got her car totalled 2 years ago and they offered her shit. I told her to find her own comps and fight back. And got more money.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Metromile...well, that's not typical, haha.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
And my experience was exactly as I wrote it. Of course, YMMV and it depends on your company and your adjuster, etc.... but making the case that you were not at fault really helps.

Reminding your insurance company that the other insurance company will pay the claim in full based on the fault of their insured goes a long way in helping your insurance company understand what happened and the specifics.

Again, I caution anyone regarding speaking to the other party's insurance company as you are not an adjuster, you don't know the terms of their policy and your insurance company adjustor does know the ins & outs of the business.

Given that the other party was 100% at fault in my case my insurance company waived the deductible on my policy as they felt they could recover that, if needed, through their claim negotiations. They never came back to me for the deductible. It was worth a shot and it worked. It never hurts to ask.

My adjustor negotiated with his counterpart regarding the reimbursable aftermarket items destroyed in the collision. He told me if they didn't get the amounts asked for then neither would I. I understood, he pursued it and I was made whole.

My insurance company was aware that I would be removing usable accessories that WERE NOT listed in the claim. I had already presented them with the list of destroyed and usable items. That's how I got the step bars, aftermarket tail lights, wheels & tires and the truck box back.

So, again, educate yourself on what your policy says and never, ever, be afraid to press your case regarding reimbursables and items you own that you are not being paid for within the claim.

Only if you're going through your own insurance, but there are pitfalls to this too. You owe your deductible on a first party claim. It is not your insurance company's job to negotiate on your behalf and there will be limits and exclusions on your own policy ($1k in aftermarket parts and accessories, as an example).

The other insurance carrier cannot do a complete job without your help in understanding what happened. Only you can provide your statement. Want to prolong the experience, refuse to participate. Participate early on and watch the process go much more smoothly.

The deductible is a contractual obligation you have with your insurance carrier, you have a policy/contract that states they will make payments, less your deductible. Reimbursement is not a given, and it may be at a percentage depending on the state and departments that govern insurance in your state. Depending on your state you may owe 100% of your deductible in every accident. Arbitration *may* get your deductible back, but only months later after and insurance/insurance hearing (if your state allows this).

It's likely your insurance carrier won't provide coverage over the policy limits and that would need to be negotiated with the other person's insurance. Payment over policy limits is typically not going to happen. You have a contract with your carrier, and it's poor form for them to pay over policy limits in the "hopes" they get reimbursed by the claimant carrier.

Make sure your insurance carrier is aware, because it they pick up the salvage and it's missing something that was used to determine the value, you're on the hook for that. I did use to tell insureds/claimants they could keep things like wheels and tires if they didn't add value (which, again not all mods do) as long as there were wheels and tires on the vehicle when it got picked up.

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler
My guy at State Farm said save all my receipts if there is an accident you'll be reimbursed. Told him at least 15k in receipts he said you're covered. Hope I never have to find out. Good luck and hope everything works out okay.

Sponsored

areuriding

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon XR
Yep, save all your receipts and keep them organized. You shouldn't have an issue being made whole again.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My guy at State Farm said save all my receipts if there is an accident you'll be reimbursed. Told him at least 15k in receipts; he said you're covered.
Mine told me the same. I do have a good automotive policy, as my just-received biannual premium billing reminded me. My motorcycle policy is the same; I willingly added and pay for the policy endorsements (i.e., line item coverages & limits) that makes cost recovery very easy.

The extra expense for properly robust insurance coverage was voluntary, but the potential for physical and mental distractions during a collision and/or injury claim means I'll pay for peace of mind where it's available.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious about the modifications also, I am really getting close to $10k myself... Just in bumpers, winch, Gobi rack and Interior upgrades. I have them insured with Geico or most of them. But even the wording there makes me nervous; it says actual cash value even though you list a price and pay based on what you put in.
I am assuming you have total them that your vehicle is modified?

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I believe you met told, if so, yes I have told them my Jeep is modified and them insured (It’s not much).
I believe you meant...meant haha. Yes I meant told not total.

Sponsored

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Some one ran a red light and smashed into left front of my 2020 Rubicon. Her insurance is paying the bill. Its is drivable, but everything underneath the front end is pushed to the right. I think there is substantial frame damage. I have over $10k in modifications, including brand new 37x12.5x17 Ridge Grapplers with Black Rhino wheels, less than a month old. Lift kit is shot, at least in front. Some mods I can remove. The insurance company is supposed to make me whole. Has anyone dealt with this issue? How hard is it to get reimbursed for modifications?
I doubt the insurance company will total the Wrangler. It is too new and in today's used car market, its value is too high and I don't think the damage is that extensive to warrant a total loss. The frame can be fixed. But the aftermarket stuff could get tricky. Good luck with the whole process! I hope it works out for the best.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I had a shitty ass experience then lol. They really lowballed my jeep and offeree nothing for mods. Insurance was Metromile btw. They basically pulled the "comps" they wanted. They picked the cheapest jeeps they could find. Data was very biased.

I had to plot their dumb data in a histogram and it clearly showed it was skewed and did not show a normal distribution at all. So I found my own comps and fitted my data to a normal dist and sent that to them.

Another friend also got her car totalled 2 years ago and they offered her shit. I told her to find her own comps and fight back. And got more money.
If the person's insurance is crappy, you may want to check with your insurance to see if you have coverage for uninsured/underinsured motorists. This can help bridge any gaps if all else fails.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
If the person's insurance is crappy, you may want to check with your insurance to see if you have coverage for uninsured/underinsured motorists. This can help bridge any gaps if all else fails.
In my state, good chance people are underinsured or without. I feel that’s the best coverage one could get.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Some one ran a red light and smashed into left front of my 2020 Rubicon. Her insurance is paying the bill. Its is drivable, but everything underneath the front end is pushed to the right. I think there is substantial frame damage. I have over $10k in modifications, including brand new 37x12.5x17 Ridge Grapplers with Black Rhino wheels, less than a month old. Lift kit is shot, at least in front. Some mods I can remove. The insurance company is supposed to make me whole. Has anyone dealt with this issue? How hard is it to get reimbursed for modifications?
It's up to the insurance company which is regulated by state.
Sponsored