Sponsored

Anyone trade in their car to place an order for Wrangler (knowing it may be awhile)?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Trade in upon delivery, but negotiate a trade in value on ordering. Dealership I used estimated additional mileage for the 2 month wait for the original estimate I got, and I was happy with it.
Sponsored

kdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon JLU (ordered), F430, 2012 JKU
I see you are in Texas, where trade in value gets netted and reduces your sales tax due only if you sell it to the dealer. My dealer in Houston (River Oaks) offered to buy the trade in now (and still able to use the trade value to net for sales tax), or to facilitate a private party sell for a $500 processing fee (totally fair IMO). I think it is specific to the dealer as to what they will agree to as part of the negotiation.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
ohhhhh - I had this same issue and I walked away from my deal because they wanted me to leave my trade with them. I was not aware you could negotiate the trade deal and trade upon delivery! Dang it.

MainOffender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 FLSTFBS
I sold my 1987 El Camino on 3/3/18 and ordered a JL Rubicon the next day.
Dealer said “4 to 6 weeks”.
That was over 11 weeks ago[sic]
We have Harley and a Ford Edge to take up the slack but it is starting to wear me down.
Ride the Fat Boy S and all that crap goes away!

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
At th time I placed my order, my dealer low-balled my trade, which I interpreted as their attempt to try to make up for some of their 5% under invoice deal. They said they would reassess value on the trade at the time of JL delivery ~6 weeks later.....after more miles for added to the trade vehicle, that could only go down. No. Two weeks from projected delivery of the JL, I took my trade to CarMax and got a quote good for 7 days. Sold it on the 7th day to CarMax for $3000 more than the dealer offered on trade value. JL showed up a week later, added my sale profit to the original amount I planned for down payment.

Sponsored

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
My dealer valued my trade on 4/12 and we agreed on the mileage it would have when the Rubicon came in. If it’s more mileage than that I pay .20 cents per mile! Very fair! Plus I got my Window Sticker this morning so things are moving.

tarndesigns

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I negotiated a price on a new JLUR and worked in the dealer giving me enough for my leased VW GTI for it to be worth it for me.

They will honor the appraisal of my GTI when my Wrangler comes in. Any dealer should do something like this. It’s worth it for them to get your business.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
I negotiated the trade in March when my jeep came in last Monday actually got more for it than I originally negotiated for

maus92

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS Firecracker Red
I have a trade value as part of my order deal. They will honor it if I keep my vehicle under a certain mileage amount, and it doesn't get damaged. Pretty decent trade value too, and along with -5% under invoice + $300 for tags and title services / doc fees - it was too sweet of a deal to pass up. The problem is keeping the mileage down the longer it takes to get the Jeep delivered. I've actually started to rent cars for long business trips (the company pays a mileage rate that covers the rental and fuel.)

tarndesigns

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I have a trade value as part of my order deal. They will honor it if I keep my vehicle under a certain mileage amount, and it doesn't get damaged. Pretty decent trade value too, and along with -5% under invoice + $300 for tags and title services / doc fees - it was too sweet of a deal to pass up. The problem is keeping the mileage down the longer it takes to get the Jeep delivered. I've actually started to rent cars for long business trips (the company pays a mileage rate that covers the rental and fuel.)
I’m in the same boat. Smart idea.

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trading in my 2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2 and got a "ballpark" value at order, to reasses when my JLU comes in. Trying to keep the mileage down now.
Sponsored