Sponsored

JK May Become "Wrangler Classic"

F1Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ
My thinking too. Production is usually right around early Sept. Apparently JL production won't start until late next year so it could be just a few months overlap. We'll see.
FCA has already confirmed it will overlap by 6 months. Whether it will be called a JK "Classic" remains to be seen but I bet it is simply a bunch of "editions" and essentially appearance packages, no powertrain/transmission changes that some are hoping. There's not going to be a Frankenstein JK/JL, too costly to manufacture for half a year.
Sponsored

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
FCA has already confirmed it will overlap by 6 months.
Link please? That's interesting that they already confirmed it publicly. Anyone remember if there was any overlap during the TJ to JK switch over?

4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door Sport S 4X4, 1956 Jeep CJ5
Link please? That's interesting that they already confirmed it publicly. Anyone remember if there was any overlap during the TJ to JK switch over?
No because Wikipedia says Tj ended in July 2006 and JK was started in August 2006

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
This thing has been a classic since 2012 when they came out with the new engine

SeaJay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5, 1976 CJ5, 1999 TJ, 2012 JK
I dont think I've ever seen two different versions of the same car with same model year being built simultaneously but on different platforms like that. A special edition maybe but as part of the regular line up? Strange decision. Almost like telling its buyers even the company itself is not sure it's ready for change.
In 2004 Ford did the exact same thing with the F150. Both the older model and the new model were produced during the same MY. The "older" version was even called the F150 Heritage I believe..

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Also that was essentially what the Cherokee XJ and it's intended replacement Grand Cherokee ZJ were for about a decade.

However there will be no Wrangler classic for a long production run, just a slow winding down of the JK and MY crossover before the plant moves to JT production.

A lot of this situation was born from excess demand for the JK that couldn't be met by overtime, double shifts and reduced holidays, so it was silly to kill the golden goose for re-tooling versus an extended run at two separate plants. This cross-over is a rare situation where that half a year of production of JKs in 2018 can probably sell at essentially 2017 levels and provide more revenue & profit for that brief period. However, further into the future that's likely more of a question mark as each additional year would need to cover it's own costs, so it's unlikely there'd be a 2019 Classic, and instead they'd move towards getting the JT line up and running. Even that may happen sooner than later if demand of the JK drops off, but unlike a whole model year, the remaining 2018s would be easy to shift/sell for the rest of the year.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a special edition Wrangler that gets the 'Classic' badge before production ends next year, in addition to the classic "Golden Eagle" special edition name.

-edited for typos-

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Also that was essentially what the Cherokee XJ and it's intended replacement Grand Cherokee ZJ were for about a decade.

However there will be no Wrangler classic for a long production run, just a slow winding down of the JK and MY crossover before the plant moves to JT production.

A lot of this siutation was born by excess demand for the JK that couldn't be met by overtime, double shifts and reduced holidays, so it was silly to kill the golden goose for re-tooling bersus an extended run at two separate olants. This cross-over is a rare situation where that half a year of production of JKs in 2018 can probably sell at essentially 2017 levels and provide more revenue & profit for that brief period. However, further into the future that's likely more of a question mark as each additional year would need to cover it's own costs, so it's unlikely there'd be a 2019 Classic, and instead they'd move togetting the JT line up and running. Event that may happen sooer than later if demand of the JK drops off, but unlike a while model year, the remaining 2018s would be easy to shift for the rest of the year.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a special edition Wrangler that gets the 'Classic' badge before production ends next year, in addition to the classic "Golden Eagle" special edition name.
Yup. Jeep likely lost a lot of sales by taking the line down in 1996, and FCA learned on that putt.

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
I know it's a relatively meaningless distinction but I think they should avoid the "classic" moniker. When I think classic i think YJ and even TJ. It also creates more fodder for internet chatroom wars about who owns a "real" Jeep. A strange one especially when the JK and JL don't seem like they will differ much at least from a design standpoint.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
I know it's a relatively meaningless distinction but I think they should avoid the "classic" moniker.
Kind-of sticking with Jeep naming tradition, would you rather have the JL called Grand Wrangler? :puke:

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Kind-of sticking with Jeep naming tradition, would you rather have the JL called Grand Wrangler? :puke:
Not sure what you mean. I'm talking about the article referenced by the OP about rumors that Jeep will be making a special edition JK and calling it "Wrangler Classic" or something like that.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Not sure what you mean. I'm talking about the article referenced by the OP about rumors that Jeep will be making a special edition JK and calling it "Wrangler Classic" or something like that.
The article that mentioned a classic wasn't talking about it being a special edition sticker package, but being a separate production line for a few model years, similar to the Cherokee / Grand Cherokee in the 90s, so in a JK / JL world that would be Wrangler / Grand Wrangler.

What ended up happening is people confused that original 'Classic' article/rumours which started in late 2015 / early 2016 with the cross-over period co-production before JT retooling, and started using the name from the original article instead of just calling it a farewell special edition. As soon as Sergio said publicly in Early 2016 that they were going to quickly move the old JK line to JT, the 'Classic' rumour truly died.
Sponsored