Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara - Granite Crystal Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
AA5A9CF8-2C88-4561-94AA-F7842FF0B9C6.jpeg
A90A3953-60D0-4D5E-BE90-0A5A96217B41.jpeg
F6D8E081-22CB-4093-91A5-2B87588E525A.jpeg
D1C77A10-548A-4442-8C62-BE9D202CB689.jpeg
Check this out. took the jeep in for some maintenance (oil/tire rotation) and was hearing a humming and vibration from front end. Turns out I need a new passenger side wheel hub. Picked it up yesterday and the front tire fell off on the way home. I found only 1 lug nut on the road. So either he only put one on or never tightened any of them. I had decided to go visit my parents so I had turned down a side street so fortunately I was going slow. If I had continued on the road I was on it could have happened at 40 mph or more.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Man, that is dangerous. Glad youā€™re alright. Last year I had a tire rotation and oil change at the dealership, they put in 6 quarts of oil and I could remove the lug nuts with my fingers. I made them fix it but always check their work afterwards.

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Wow. Was the bumper damaged as a result of this (difficult to imagine how) or was that previous damage?

They are lucky you werenā€™t driving with your family on the freeway when this happened.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Wow. Was the bumper damaged as a result of this (difficult to imagine how) or was that previous damage?

They are lucky you werenā€™t driving with your family on the freeway when this happened.
My guess is the suspension compressed enough on impact to smash the air dam against the ground, which buckled the plastic of the bumper a bit. Time for a steel bumper!

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
My guess is the suspension compressed enough on impact to smash the air dam against the ground, which buckled the plastic of the bumper a bit. Time for a steel bumper!
I automatically assumed they were steal without taking a closer look and wondering how in the world did it bend like that. Yeah with plastic it makes more sense.

Sponsored

OP
OP
joeyjoejoe285

joeyjoejoe285

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

All the damage you see was a result of the tire falling off. The jeep was perfect before this.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I wouldnt take it back. I'd have left it lay and called them to come get it. "Gimme a loaner and call me when it's fixed...oh, and fire someone"

OP
OP
joeyjoejoe285

joeyjoejoe285

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldnt take it back. I'd have left it lay and called them to come get it. "Gimme a loaner and call me when it's fixed...oh, and fire someone"
Yeah, the dealer got it back on their own to their shop, I didn't.Tthey gave me a loaner. Waiting to hear back from them this morning. The guy in the picture lived across the street - that's his Jeep on the right. He offered as a fellow Jeeper to help out right away.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'd check the countersunk lug nut seats closely and the lug holes for damage.

Chances are they've wallowed. A new wheel may be in order

If this were a beater I'd not worry about it, torque the wheels and check periodically - if they hold torque, call it good. But in this situation the dealer should fix/replace EVERYTHING even remotely damaged.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
It never ceases to amaze me on what these idiots do at the dealership, I have one oil change left and after that unless itā€™s a warranty or recall issue no dealer service for me, I have Discount Tire rotate mine and they do it for free but I stand there and watch them and they are very good about torquing everything

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hell my policy is I won't even let dealer give me programming updates unless the vehicle is running weird or it's something I WANT fixed.

Got a recall on my '05 Canyon once that the brake lights MIGHT stop working, wanted to do a programming update. Problem is they'll flash EVERYTHING that's been updated. No thanks, just like phone updates they'll fix three things and create 2 new problems.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
At work I consult car dealerships. Wheels falling off happens more than you would believe. Like some of the others have said, I would never let a dealership do any routine maintenance on my car.

A top complaint we hear from dealership owners is that they can't find good people. So they hire the best they can find, which often isn't the first guy you'd choose to work on your car, either. "Do you have thumbs?" "Yeah." "Put this on and get back there."

The guy on tire duty is usually the new guy who just did your oil change without draining the old oil first. He used a paper floor mat, though!

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
In the UK, back Iā€™m the day, dealerships employed ā€˜mechanicsā€™ whoā€™d served apprenticeships and had ongoing training. They could problem solve for themselves and had pride in their work.

Nowadays they employ ā€˜fittersā€™ who have no training and donā€™t give a sh1t. Sounds like itā€™s the same for you guys. Sad really.
Sponsored