Windshield wipers skipping

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
As stated my windshield wipers skip on the initial stroke when turned on unless there is a large quantity of water on the windshield. The down stroke is fine and cleans the windshield. Any ideas on how to fix this? I did a search and couldn't find anything. Please post a link if there is already info on this!
Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
As stated my windshield wipers skip on the initial stroke when turned on unless there is a large quantity of water on the windshield. The down stroke is fine and cleans the windshield. Any ideas on how to fix this? I did a search and couldn't find anything. Please post a link if there is already info on this!
Thanks,
Scott
I replaced mine with Bosh, seems like the OEM wipers are pretty bad. Had the same problem and the only time they wouldn't skips was when it was coming down in buckets.

Hotrodnut

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
Just put PIAA wipers on mine and no skip.
The original ones rubber hardened very quickly I'm thinking.

vap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks,
Scott
Have you ever applied Rain-X on this windshield?

OP
OP
scottijohn63

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have bought new wipers and Rain X. I am able to move the wiper posts 1/4 in up and down. If these fixes don't work I will explore tightening the posts in the up position which would seem to leave the blades more perpendicular to the glass. Not sure how to get the plastic cowl piece off to tighten posts.

Sponsored

vap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have bought new wipers and Rain X.
Rain X and most rubber wipers just don't play along, in my experience. I've had this skipping issue starting on several different cars, including JL, some time after a first Rain X application, after it wears off a bit.
Bad thing, is that Rain X is almost impossible to remove completely, once you applied it. Worst thing, is that Rain X makes bug removal so much easier, that you just can't stop using it =)

OP
OP
scottijohn63

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rain X and most rubber wipers just don't play along, in my experience. I've had this skipping issue starting on several different cars, including JL, some time after a first Rain X application, after it wears off a bit.
Bad thing, is that Rain X is almost impossible to remove completely, once you applied it. Worst thing, is that Rain X makes bug removal so much easier, that you just can't stop using it =)
Guess I'll use the Rain X on the side and back windows!

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Thanks,
Scott
You may have to adjust the angle of your wiper arms. Take a close look and make sure your wiper blades are exactly perpendicular to the windshield. I replaced my wiper blades and still got skipping so I inspected the blades and the passenger wiper arm was twisted. I took pair of vise grips and aligned them. No more skipping.

Reactions: vap
OP
OP
scottijohn63

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You may have to adjust the angle of your wiper arms. Take a close look and make sure your wiper blades are exactly perpendicular to the windshield. I replaced my wiper blades and still got skipping so I inspected the blades and the passenger wiper arm was twisted. I took pair of vise grips and aligned them. No more skipping.
Thanks so much! I will check if they skip after the new blades.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Using a screwdriver I put deep scratches in the glass in a tic tac toe pattern. The grooves give the rubber something to grip and the slipping and skipping is gone. However, I can no longer drive at night due to headlight glare off of the scratches. Small compromise.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Mine didn’t make it 6 months/10,000 miles before I couldn’t stand it any more. Factory blades suck apparently
Sponsored