Windshield reservoir cap does not close properly

JeepJL2018w

First Name
gs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I noticed that my yellow windshield reservoir cap was completely off one day. When I closed the cap I noticed that the cap does not seat properly.
So I ordered a new cap for $10. This cap is OEM and fits fine. But then I noticed that inside the original cap there is a black rubber seal which was not properly centered and that is why the cap was not sealing properly and probably why the cap popped open. The problem with the rubber seal inside the cap is that small pieces of the rubber seal fall off the cap and into the reservoir. So I removed the rubber seal. I placed some Saran Wrap over the opening and then put the cap on. Maybe the rubber seal inside the cap is too thick or the wrong material.
Anyone else notice that their windshield reservoir cap does not seat properly or popped open?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

JeepJL2018w

First Name
gs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Sounds like a defective seal. Mine's a 2018 and i just checked that it's fine. Soft and supple.
Is the rubber seal centered inside the cap? If it is not the cap will appear to be popping off to one side.
I tried to re-center the rubber seal inside the cap but difficult to get it centered.
Thanks

OP
OP

JeepJL2018w

First Name
gs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Seems perfectly centered to me.
My original cap with the rubber seal inside would not sit flat all the way around. I think it was about 1/8” lifting up on one side because of the rubber seal not being centered. It felt like it would not snap all the way down, compared to when there was no rubber seal inside.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Will that Resevoir vent properly with the saran wrap sealing it ? Can the new seal be removed, re- seated , using washer fluid or Vaseline as a lubricant ? Doggone "Low-Bidders " !

OP
OP

JeepJL2018w

First Name
gs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Will that Resevoir vent properly with the saran wrap sealing it ? Can the new seal be removed, re- seated , using washer fluid or Vaseline as a lubricant ? Doggone "Low-Bidders " !
The rubber seal can be peeled off and moved. But then it kind gets torn up in the process. With the seal or Saran Wrap it does not seem to vent from the cap.

Ricky-Tips

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s Edition
I have 7 days on my 2020 Willys as of today. I popped the hood 2 days ago and saw that the cap wasn’t on. I kinda just shrugged it off as a TNAP thing...but now I’m going to go back out and see if it is still on and check out the seal. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP

JeepJL2018w

First Name
gs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have 7 days on my 2020 Willys as of today. I popped the hood 2 days ago and saw that the cap wasn’t on. I kinda just shrugged it off as a TNAP thing...but now I’m going to go back out and see if it is still on and check out the seal. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP

JeepJL2018w

First Name
gs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Here is my original cap after I tried peeling off the rubber seal and sticking it back on To center it. The rubber is either too thick or still slightly off center so that it makes the cap sit slight ajar. And the rubber is torn up a bit. Some of the rubber elderly fell in reservoir. Maybe 1/16” an inch. Just not completely tight.

15F8C6F1-C844-42CD-86E7-7039CF652A9A.jpeg
Sponsored