Sponsored

Window Tint Photo Compilation Master Thread

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
I did the same. Here in Florida no tint is legal per se, but it gets pretty hot and the suns rays are mercilessly on your interior. Even marked LE vehicles are tinted. I have the pleasure of working with almost every municipality state and local here in Florida and they pretty much say as long as you’re not rude or drive like an A-hole, they’re not gonna bust your chops about tint if you should get pulled over for another infraction. Now, if you are driving distracted or speeding then you are rolling the dice that the proverbial book will be thrown at you.
C'mon bro ... "no tint is legal per se"
Florida Statues
316.2952 - (1) (b) - Transparent and does not encroach upon the driver's direct forward viewing area as described in Fed Motor Veh Safety Standards 205 AS/1. (Good Luck translating that mumbo jumbo) The predefined line on your windshield is typically the, "not in your direct forward viewing area." I believe that line is 4-5" from the top of the windshield.

316.2953 - Side windows adjacent to the driver - 25% solar reflectance of visible light and light transmittance of at least 28%.

316.2954 (1) (a) - (Windows behind the driver) 35% non-film side, light transmittance of 15%. However, multi-passenger vehicles - 35% and 6%. (We called it limo tint back in the day)

316.2955 - Each installer or seller must provide a non-removable label stating the material complies with the previously listed statues. (Measured percentage tolerated +/- 3%)

I found a site, quick google search, that lists all 50 states and their tint laws. I don't if the site is accurate, but you can then follow up with your state laws to verify.
Florida the site shows, (not a bad comparison)
Front side - 28%, back side - 15%, back rear - 15%
Windshield - Non-reflective tint allowed above the AS-1 line

https://www.raynofilm.com/blog/automotive-window-tint-laws-by-state

You can spin tint to help reduce health and safety issues.
Something like 90% of UV rays is blocked by tint.
Reduction with glare.
Carbon tint reduces the sun's heat, doesn't affect visibility.
Ceramic tint blocks up 50% of the sun's heat and doesn't affect visibility. (helpful for heat-sensitive folks) - shatter-resistant
Less likely for items to be stolen - it's hard to see inside a tinted vehicle at night.

Tinting windows has a ton of upside in the south, midwest, southwest.
Sponsored

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
For those of you running a ceramic windshield tint, and have polarized glasses, do you guys see any rainbowing?
I have blue light blocking added and polarized glasses/sunglasses and have a weird blue streak or spot at times. This typically happens when vehicles with LED lights are driving towards me at night.
It's not detrimental, but noticeable. I do not have any issues during the daytime.
I have not noticed rainbowing.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know anyone in San Diego or Los Angeles that would do the three hard top, 4 doors and windshield in ceramic for under $300?

Sponsored

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
For those of you running a ceramic windshield tint, and have polarized glasses, do you guys see any rainbowing?
I have ceramic tint all around and wear polarized sunglasses with no artifacts at all. If anything the combination increases the effectiveness of my glasses.

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Great idea for a thread! In addition to the fact that the factory tint is privacy glass only with limited heat rejection properties, I’d like to add from my research so far, only aftermarket tint adds the UV protection as well, so another reason to get even extremely light tint around the rear windows as well.
Thanks for all the good information on tint. So the factor tint on the other windows is not heat rejection tint? I thought I would only have to get the two front windows done but it looks like all windows need to be done?

Biohazardshrimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
20% on front two and 35% on windshield. I’ve had entire windshield done on all my cars...it’s a game changer. This is the first time i went 35%....not sure i would go that dark again. I’d stick to 50% if you’re getting full windshield done.

Jeep Wrangler JL Window Tint Photo Compilation Master Thread 117303010_1669498243210776_6039489556089586306_n
I came in here looking for the full windshield tint. That 35 percent is REALLY dark. So now that it has been a few years how have you liked it? Have you had it redon since?

JeepNYak

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Jeep Wrangler JL Window Tint Photo Compilation Master Thread 20200831_210056
I went with guys recommendations & love the look, but at night from inside it's hard to see anything. Esp with no light

Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Jeep Wrangler JL Window Tint Photo Compilation Master Thread 20200831_210056
I went with guys recommendations & love the look, but at night from inside it's hard to see anything. Esp with no light
looks good, you'll find yourself rolling the windows down maneuvering through parking lots & making tight turns at night lol

GIJL

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Vehicle Showcase
Went with 35% all around just because that’s the law in Virginia. I told them not to do the front windshield but they did it anyway… not sure if I want to leave it or not. It’s 3M carbon tint with a lifetime warranty on bubbles. $260

Jeep Wrangler JL Window Tint Photo Compilation Master Thread 9020ABC1-0571-4128-892E-2A351CEC160D

Jeep Wrangler JL Window Tint Photo Compilation Master Thread 46F4231C-39A5-45F3-8DE3-C4716CA26566

Jeep Wrangler JL Window Tint Photo Compilation Master Thread E14A1ABF-B228-452F-A1A7-ED0A9E7ED847

Last edited:

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Can anyone recommend a quality tint shop in the San Diego area?
Sponsored