Sponsored

Window Tint Laws for your State

BradyAntebellum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLUR- Black
Sooo... I see a lot of members from all over the country getting their new Jeeps and having their windows tinted what appears to be significantly dark.

My state only allows 35% max and it's so light it's almost not worth even having it done, but I do because it gets extremely hot here during the summer months. Also, most places will fail you/ have you pay to get it removed before passing.

How do you get around to getting your tags/registration renewed when inspection time rolls around? Do you have a friend pass you? Do you have a waiver? Or do you just get your tint removed and redone every year or two (depending on your state's requirements)?
Sponsored

Capt_Beard

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
blog.benbeard.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude & 2016 Subaru WRX Limited
Occupation
Director of IT
My state (PA) has strict tint laws >70%.
I always get my windows tinted to around 20% or less.
I haven't had any issues yet, knock on wood.

Our state inspections / registrations do not include tint, so there is nothing to get around.
The only danger is a fine from the police.

RC3

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR 392 - '20 JTR - '21 GCL
Sooo... I see a lot of members from all over the country getting their new Jeeps and having their windows tinted what appears to be significantly dark.

My state only allows 35% max and it's so light it's almost not worth even having it done, but I do because it gets extremely hot here during the summer months. Also, most places will fail you/ have you pay to get it removed before passing.

How do you get around to getting your tags/registration renewed when inspection time rolls around? Do you have a friend pass you? Do you have a waiver? Or do you just get your tint removed and redone every year or two (depending on your state's requirements)?
Not all states have annual inspections for renewing tags. I'm from CA, which allows no tint on the front side windows, but people do it anyway. All is good until you get a ticket for the tint, then you have to remove it to get the ticket written off. I recently moved to AZ, which allows 33% tint, but I still see many vehicles with darker tint. And again, neither of these states requires annual inspections.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Usually the shop that does your tint has an idea of who will pass your vehicle with tint. Ask the tech who does your tint or the owner of the shop.

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
In MI we can only tint 6" down from the top on the front side windows and windshield. It's a stupid law. It's hardly ever enforced around where I live, but it's a reason for them to pull you over so I just don't do it. Back windows can be whatever you want.

We don't have any sort of vehicle inspections at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BradyAntebellum

BradyAntebellum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLUR- Black
My state (PA) has strict tint laws >70%.
I always get my windows tinted to around 20% or less.
I haven't had any issues yet, knock on wood.

Our state inspections / registrations do not include tint, so there is nothing to get around.
The only danger is a fine from the police.
It's kinda the opposite here, it's pretty relaxed in terms of I've never actually known anyone to get a ticket for it being too dark, and the police don't carry mobile tint meters (as far as I know)...but at least y'all don't have that included in your inspections

OP
OP
BradyAntebellum

BradyAntebellum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLUR- Black
Usually the shop that does your tint has an idea of who will pass your vehicle with tint. Ask the tech who does your tint or the owner of the shop.
Good idea....idk why I didn't think to ask. There's this little podunk shop down the road from my house that is an NC inspection station and I used to go there because the older gentleman that did the inspections wouldn't care about tint, but he's no longer there.

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
Think it's 30% here but as long as you roll down your windows when pulled over the cops don't care how dark it is

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
I'm in Nevada

I run 5% all around and my windshield is 20% (the whole windshield no just the visor).

OP
OP
BradyAntebellum

BradyAntebellum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLUR- Black
I'm in Nevada

I run 5% all around and my windshield is 20% (the whole windshield no just the visor).
Gosh, I wish. I've never been brave enough to do my windshield (always wanted to) I'm just rocking the lame little visor strip for now. Is that a go in Nevada because it's a desert or they don't measure tint?

Sponsored

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
Gosh, I wish. I've never been brave enough to do my windshield (always wanted to) I'm just rocking the lame little visor strip for now. Is that a go in Nevada because it's a desert or they don't measure tint?

All tint shops in town will tint whatever you want here. Every car has 5% all around and even windshield as well. So it is pretty common. I would assume they are not wasting their time measuring tint because of that.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
MA is 35%, but i do not bother tinting my front windows but we do have fairly strict safety and emissions inspect every year. The inspection laws a poorly written, don't mean that as unfair rules but more conflicting information provided from the state and poor interoperation by those that enforce them. You can find shops that dont give a shit and pass anything and some that go way over the law in hopes to maybe get some more work out of it.

Good example is lift law, if the vehicle is 2 wheel drive then you can change it +/- 2" from stock, but if it is 4 wheel drive it is (wheel base + wheel width)/2200 of the tallest factory option for that year take that number and round up and add 1" for manufacturing tolerances and that is the max hight you can go. But wait it gets better, when you measure it is at the door line what ever the measurement you take that and round down (so 30.75" = 30") and if that number is greater than the calculated number then you are good. Now when you go to get an inspection sticker and the guy needs a refresher of the rules the system only tells them the rules on a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The law and enforcement of it varies greatly from state to state and even from one city to the next. YMMV. I’ve had darker than legal tint on almost all of my vehicles for the last 20 years. Never been stopped or cited. My wife has been stopped twice but not cited.

On another note, darker tint is strictly cosmetic. Heat rejection is a function of the quality of the film used, not how dark it is. Wife’s current car has 35% high quality tint that keeps the car much cooler that the 20% crappy film I had on my old beater.

OP
OP
BradyAntebellum

BradyAntebellum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLUR- Black
The law and enforcement of it varies greatly from state to state and even from one city to the next. YMMV. I’ve had darker than legal tint on almost all of my vehicles for the last 20 years. Never been stopped or cited. My wife has been stopped twice but not cited.

On another note, darker tint is strictly cosmetic. Heat rejection is a function of the quality of the film used, not how dark it is. Wife’s current car has 35% high quality tint that keeps the car much cooler that the 20% crappy film I had on my old beater.
I've never been cited or anything, I have had to have my tint removed for it to pass before though and it's a waste of time and money. That's good to know, I guess I always just assumed the darker the tint the more heat rejection it would provide.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Move...

Just kidding. Never had an issue, but I've only lived in states that don't require a vehicle inspection except for Maryland, but my tags are Florida. Also, typically cops won't pull you over for tint alone unless they are profiling you. They typically cite you for dark tint as an addition to the main reason they pulled you over like speeding or running a red light.
Sponsored