Factory window tint levels

Tiger

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU 2018
I picked up my 2018 Rubicon JLU 4 door in Dallas, and took it to a tinting dealer. I had planned on tinting all around with nano ceramic film to cut heat gain as much as legal in WA where it will be registered.

He measured the factory tint levels: side windows both sides, 25% transmittance. Rear: 20%.

Since WA rules are 24% minimum all around, clear windshield, no legal tinting was possible. He suggested that their 80% film might be acceptable on the windshield as it looks clear. Some states allow deeper tinting. It's not bad as is, factory issue, though.

My JLU is white, with color-matched hard top. I'm surprised at how cool the top stays in the full sun of the southwest even without a headliner.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah I ended up doing 20% on my front two windows. He recommended 25% to make it all match perfectly. I wanted 20% since I was paying the same money anyhow. From the outside it all matches great. From the inside you can just barely tell the front windows are slightly darker than the rears.

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
Yeah I ended up doing 20% on my front two windows. He recommended 25% to make it all match perfectly. I wanted 20% since I was paying the same money anyhow. From the outside it all matches great. From the inside you can just barely tell the front windows are slightly darker than the rears.
I also have the color coded Sahara. Planning to tint the front windows but I want to match as much as possible with the rear ones. Do you have a picture of your jeep?

yz kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL RUBICON
I'm looking to do 5% (limo) to my front windows. Anyone know how to get the factory tinted glass to match? I was thinking tint either 15% or 20% over the rear factory tinted glass

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I also have the color coded Sahara. Planning to tint the front windows but I want to match as much as possible with the rear ones. Do you have a picture of your jeep?
This is 20% tint on the front doors, rear doors and hard top are factory.

20180504_131903[1].jpg

Sponsored

yz kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL RUBICON
Sorry, I was asking if I want the rear windows to be 5% (limo) what percent film should go over the factory tints?

I'm going to put 5% in the front and want the backs to match

Csarcon

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon diesel, 2019 F350 diesel, 2018 Can Am x3, 2013 Prius plug in
Occupation
Transportation
I went 15 on fronts like I did on my JKU

Looks good to me

20180505_090043.jpg
Did you add any tint to the rest of the windows after tinting oyur front one to 15% ? did it becoe too dark for night time ? specially if you off road lightly and seeing around you from inside the car

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
I went 15 on fronts like I did on my JKU

Looks good to me

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory window tint levels 20180505_090043
I’m about to tint mine and I think this looks great!

Did you go 15% all the way around?

Anything on windshield?

Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Sorry to necro an old thread, but seemed better than starting a new one when this was here. Curious if we ever found out what the actual % tint is on the rears, and if it's any different on the soft top windows vs. hard top. I'll be tinting my front door windows soon...

Go to your local eye dr. and tell them the sun hurts your eyes while driving. You will get a 2 year prescription for window tint that is darker than the legal limit. ;)
...with a legit prescription from my optometrist :LOL: (my eyes are pretty eff'd when it comes to bright light, right pupil is perma-dilated), but do want it to match the rears on the soft top. Should I be targeting 15%, 20%, or higher? I can legally do up to 35% in Michigan on the front side windows with the script, but I can't seem to find anything definitive on what's in the back already... maybe I just suck at googling.

I do not plan on tinting the windshield at all, even with the script that's not allowed here, and I want to maintain all the forward visibility I can. Living in the country there are many critters and beasts constantly trying to ruin your day.

6.2Blazer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
If you are having a shop do the tinting they should be able to figure it out. If they say they can't figure it out....go to a different shop! Seriously, there is a local shop I have used a couple of times and know several other people that use them. You literally go in and say what you want and they take care of it. On my truck I told them I anted the front side windows to match the factory rear side windows and that is what they did. I know a guy who wanted darker all the way around so they matched up some level of tint to make the factory rear windows darker and matched the fronts.
Everybody's opinion in different so this is mine. I have one vehicle that is 20% tint on all 4 doors (not a daily driver and 20% to match the factory rear), and another that is 35% tint (daily driver, really no tint on any windows from the factory). The darker 20% tint is a little annoying at time when driving at night because you look out the side window and can have a hard time seeing when turning, or when backing up. For example when driving down a backroad or in an unlighted parking lot I sometimes roll down the window when turning to see for sure what is going on. I've never had that same feeling with the 35% tint. If hindsight was 20/20 I probably would have went with only 35% tint on the vehicle that has 20%, even though it wouldn't be a perfect match to the rear windows.....but still would have matched better than the factory no-tint vs. 20% tint. I have a 5% "brow" that goes along the top of the windshield on both vehicles that definitely helps. Would consider doing something on the windshield but would want to drive something with some tint on it to really see what it is like.....thinking even a 50% would not restrict night driving much at all but still cut down on glare. Can't imagine driving with 5% tint on the side windows.....that would about the same as covering up the windows with a sheet or something at night!
Sponsored