Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
FA45FE08-B76F-4935-A192-A63C4B12807C.jpeg

F77582EA-345B-47B0-BC6E-769162BBA32C.jpeg

FF101B66-E119-4CAE-BFA7-ED722C06F5FC.jpeg

So I spend about half the year in Ohio and half in Florida. To be safe I think I should abide by the stricter state. So is the % how dark the tint is or how much light goes through? I assume it’s how much light goes through because Florida should allow darker tint due to it being hotter?

Also, can someone explain reflectivity (is it like a mirror tint)?

Lastly, I read the quality of window tint has as much to do with keeping your car cooler as the %. Should I be looking for a special UV tint or something?
Sponsored

vhfan5150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

So I spend about half the year in Ohio and half in Florida. To be safe I think I should abide by the stricter state. So is the % how dark the tint is or how much light goes through? I assume it’s how much light goes through because Florida should allow darker tint due to it being hotter?

Lastly, I read the quality of window tint has as much to do with keeping your car cooler as the %. Should I be looking for a special UV tint or something?
I’m pretty sure it’s how much light comes through, but in Ohio since it’s 50%, it’s either. The best thing to do is to go to a tint shop and see how little 50% blocks light. It’s pretty much nothing. When I got my F150 tinted a few years ago, I had to sign a waiver acknowledging that the shop was applying tint that was illegal and I wouldn’t hold them responsible for any fines.

Parispete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2 Door Rirecracker Red
Occupation
Highway inspector
My state (PA) has strict tint laws >70%.
I always get my windows tinted to around 20% or less.
I haven't had any issues yet, knock on wood.

Our state inspections / registrations do not include tint, so there is nothing to get around.
The only danger is a fine from the police.
I live in PA also. When you say 70% is that 70% darker or 70% lighter? Ordering a new Rubicon tomorrow morning and I want tinted windows. Can we tint the front window also?

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I believe NY is similar to PA. Your window must let in 70% light in. Unless the vehicle is registered as law enforcement or you have a medical form signed by the doctor and submitted to the DMV you can get ticketed.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

here in California i've ran limo on all the rear windows and dark.... 15% on my front. even the one time i got pulled over for speeding. never said anything about my tint even though it was illegal. if you dont give a cop a reason to pull you over they more than likely wont pop you for tint unless you look like a wanted person in that area.

Sponsored

jhack

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n Rubicon
I have heard some people having success, probably varies state to state, with having the doors off (and side mirrors installed) when they go in for the inspection if just the side window tint is suspect.

When I get closer to the 2 year mark I will see if anyone in the Houston area has had any issue with doing it that way. Would be cheaper to buy some side mirrors instead of pulling the tint off...

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Sooo... I see a lot of members from all over the country getting their new Jeeps and having their windows tinted what appears to be significantly dark.

My state only allows 35% max and it's so light it's almost not worth even having it done, but I do because it gets extremely hot here during the summer months. Also, most places will fail you/ have you pay to get it removed before passing.

How do you get around to getting your tags/registration renewed when inspection time rolls around? Do you have a friend pass you? Do you have a waiver? Or do you just get your tint removed and redone every year or two (depending on your state's requirements)?
I live in NC, you ca get a waiver from the state by getting an eye doctor to say you have light sensitivity, it takes about 2 weeks. Also they do check the windows on the annual inspection and its an extra $50 for darker tint. The state only allows a strip on the windshield but I did the entire thing and no problem.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile

Quality of film is everything, a good ceramic film will cut down Uv and heat dramatically and even offered with almost no darkness.

I use a 30% ceramic film on my sides, 32% legal in Alabama. The cop would be a real jerk to ticket 2%. My whole windshield is done in 70%, illegal but needed for Alabama heat. I do use a quality ceramic film and heat rejection is great.
20190409_111929.jpg

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
not sure what the % is here in SC, we dont have inspections either.
When I lived in a state with inspections/laws, I would just roll the windows down and pull the fuse, there is no law that says the windows have to work, only once did I have an inspector give me a hard time.
On a jeep you have the luxury of removing the doors!

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
not sure what the % is here in SC, we dont have inspections either.
When I lived in a state with inspections/laws, I would just roll the windows down and pull the fuse, there is no law that says the windows have to work, only once did I have an inspector give me a hard time.
On a jeep you have the luxury of removing the doors!
:CWL: now that's funny ... Wished I could have seen that Inspector :like:

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Gosh, I wish. I've never been brave enough to do my windshield (always wanted to) I'm just rocking the lame little visor strip for now. Is that a go in Nevada because it's a desert or they don't measure tint?

I had my windshield tinted with Suntek CIR 70% for heat reduction purposes. It's virtually clear and does a great job of block heat while allowing front visibility. I'm running 20% Suntek CIR on all other pieces of glass and have never had any issues with law enforcement.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I live in New York so pretty much everything is illegal.
thats funny you mentioned this, because its true. i'm in ny also and even if you follow the regulations its still illegal. the law folks will always find something to pick on. but on the bright side most of the cops around here are pretty cool and they won't bother you unless you act like a retart on the road. believe me there's plenty of them by me.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
as for the tint in ny 70% of light must be shown. nys inspection will not pass you if your too dark. they are not going to risk there shop in passing illegal tints. most guy run between 10 to 20% tint.
Sponsored