Window Auto up modification

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4-door)
First off I'd like to thank user Fonzie for the inspiration; it was his original post that made me undertake this project. I'll try not to rehash things he covered on his thread since it got me most of the way into the project.

Once the dash was open all I did for the stock window wiring was confirm the two wires he'd identified as driver and passenger UP.
IMG_20190127_200729284.jpg

Once I had those identified I started sorting out the wiring on the 535T module. At first look the kit appears super intimidating given the sheer number of wires but several aren't used and several are common grounds that I twined together to a single ground which makes it way easier.
IMG_20190127_200805802.jpg

IMG_20190127_200749658.jpg

Above are the wiring diagrams from the manual. A couple notes: you won't use the "ground when armed from system" orange wire, and the red/white "(-) aux from system" wire is only connected to ground during programming; after that I taped up the lead and zip tied it out of the way.
There IS a programming step but it's super simple; more on that later.
A note about the dip switches on the module: all remain off (up position); no need to move any of them.
Regarding mounting location I also put it behind the glovebox; I basically zip tied it to a one of the silver AC tubes; there's a picture way below.
Regarding power and ground, both I got by tapping into the 12v port in the dash; it was easy and right there. Black was ground and 12v was the pink/yellow line. Obviously verify this for yourself.
IMG_20190127_143003698.jpg

You'll note I have what looks like a single ground; like I mentioned previously I spliced and the grounds into a single bunch and then connected them to a single black wire which I ran to ground.
IMG_20190127_140850604.jpg

Here are all the grounds twined together.
All connections I also wrapped in electrical tape and zip tied everything all over the place to help with strain relief.
When it came to actually splicing into the window switch wires it was anticlimactic. I cut each one and added bullet connectors, such that if I wanted to return it to stock the original wire now has a male and a female so they could go together. Then I connected the wires from the module per the instructions (like the previous poster I only wired the UP wires since it had factory Auto down. )
IMG_20190127_134134608.jpg

IMG_20190127_142956443.jpg
This picture shows pretty much the whole thing wired but before I put the module behind the glovebox. There's room for the wires to easily run behind the dash between the glovebox and the window controls. I left all wires their full length so I could easily work with the module on my lap but you could easily trim them if you want less wire hanging out back there.
Note: the yellow wire going into the dash is a wire with alligator clips on both ends I used to connect that red/white wire to ground for programming.
IMG_20190127_132152368.jpg

Here you can see the wires not used on the 8 and 5 pin connectors.

IMG_20190127_143949633.jpg

Here's where the module lives now.

That's pretty much it, hopefully I covered enough to help the next guy. All in all it took me maybe two hours, and I took my time to keep wiring and connections relatively neat and tidy.
When it came to the programming step it was pretty straightforward. Connect that red/white wire to ground and turn on the Jeep. Hold the switch to put the drivers window up, then don't touch anything (this wasn't 100% clear from the instructions). It'll cycle both windows up and down at least once, and it took longer than you'd expect between when you let go of the switch and it does its thing. The first time I messed it up because I assumed it was finished and hit the button, exiting programming mode.

Good luck, and let me know if there are any questions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Great work. I just don't understand why most American manufacturers don't include auto-up (some do driver only). Actually, I know it's because of safety but it's ridiculous they can't figure out a solution. The Germans have it figured out. I've had multiple German vehicles with auto-up and it's fantastic and I haven't lost an arm yet.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome write-up! Now that I've seen it though, I think I'll just hold the button, haha. Too much effort for too little reward in my opinion

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
One note on the wire you marked as not needed: when you activate the auto-up, you can only stop the up moment by clicking up again. If you splice those wires (dont need to cut completely) you can stop the auto up by clicking the down button. Make sense? Good job BTW!

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
One more note, the "ground when armed from system" orange wire, could potentially be used when you lock the jeep. If I can figure out the correct wire, the windows would roll up when the jeep is locked with the key fob! On my list of things to try some day... LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One note on the wire you marked as not needed: when you activate the auto-up, you can only stop the up moment by clicking up again. If you splice those wires (dont need to cut completely) you can stop the auto up by clicking the down button. Make sense? Good job BTW!
Interesting... I didn't realize that. Can you be more specific on which wire? And what to splice it with?
Thanks!

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
Interesting... I didn't realize that. Can you be more specific on which wire? And what to splice it with?
Thanks!
Basically, splice the switch side wire from the 535t to the down wire on the Jeep, that's it. You do not need to cut the jeep wire. You basically just want a signal sent to the 535t to interrupt the auto up feature just in case you activate it by accident.

OP
OP

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want to make sure I'm getting this right; I'll use the driver's side wiring as an example.
So if I got this right, basically use two wire taps to add a small section of wiring between the stock "DOWN" wire (OG/W (thick)) and the switch side of the "UP" wire (brown to the 535T). Image below:
535T wiring.png

Does this look right? Did you do this on your install?
Thanks!

fonzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL, & Gladiator
No, connect the White wire on 7pin 535T (this is based on the pic you added) to the Jeep driver down wire & vice versa for the passenger side and respective 535 wire.

OP
OP

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So like this? White from 535T (7-pin) to driver down wire (OG/W)?
535T wiring.png

Sponsored

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
All this sounds pretty impressive. Sounds like someone needs to develop an easy plug and play kit that allows single touch "auto up" along with security arm, remote lock "auto up". Now that we know it can be done a kit would be cool. Unless someone like TazerJL can figure it out with their programmer, it would definitely be something people would pay for. IMHO

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What happens if you have your hand, arm or fingers in the way during auto up? Does the window stop, and go back down like other vehicles do?
Sponsored