Sponsored

Winching with 4xe?

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Questions for you more electrically-inclined folks...

I'd like to install a winch on my 4xe when I receive it. Does anybody know if the charge (from the larger hybrid pack to the 12V battery) happens at rate at equivalent to a high-output/heavy-duty alternator? My worry is that the steady load of the winch will run down the 12V battery faster than it can be recharged. I certainly won't be winching often enough to for the rare severe-discharge to really hurt the 12V battery, but still would like to know...

Edit: I may have phrased my question poorly. I'm aware that the hybrid pack tops off main 12V battery. My question isn't whether you can winch with the 4xe specifically, but rather how much more taxing that is on the 12V battery when compared to a non-hybrid setup (if at all).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Just like with the auto start stop and the AC, if the 12V battery is being drained too much it will just run the engine would be my guess.

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0
The 2.0L engine has a regular 12V battery for the starter and 'normal' vehicle functions. This is the battery that powers a winch. I would expect that winching will operate just like any other Jeep, with the only difference being that you'd want to make sure the gas engine is running to avoid straining the battery.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The odds are no, but most high output alternators are nowhere near the 450A a winch can draw under heavy load either. The beauty of the 4xe or even the mild hybrid bsg set up is the extra energy stored in the higher voltage batteries will still be available to recharge the 12v system should your winching drain it.

OP
OP

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
The odds are no, but most high output alternators are nowhere near the 450A a winch can draw under heavy load either. The beauty of the 4xe or even the mild hybrid bsg set up is the extra energy stored in the higher voltage batteries will still be available to recharge the 12v system should your winching drain it.
Updated my original post to be more clear on what I'm asking, but you do raise a good point. I believe even high-output alternators supply at most 240A or so, so it would seem that it would be a net-loss situation even with a traditional setup.

My worry was that I'd be hurting the 12V battery with the full discharge, but I suppose plenty of people do exactly that when performing heavy winching operations, even with the engine running. But I suppose even if I did, that's cheaper than calling an offroad rescue. Frankly, I've never owned a winch (and have never needed it in the couple decades I've been wheeling) so I hadn't even considered that. Thanks for pointing this out.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Updated my original post to be more clear on what I'm asking, but you do raise a good point. I believe even high-output alternators supply at most 240A or so, so it would seem that it would be a net-loss situation even with a traditional setup.

My worry was that I'd be hurting the 12V battery with the full discharge, but I suppose plenty of people do exactly that when performing heavy winching operations, even with the engine running. But I suppose even if I did, that's cheaper than calling an offroad rescue. Frankly, I've never owned a winch (and have never needed it in the couple decades I've been wheeling) so I hadn't even considered that. Thanks for pointing this out.
I haven't seen data on the 4xe, but I read somewhere that the 48vdc to 12vdc converter on the bsg equipped rigs is rated at 3,000 Watts, so 250A at 12v. I'd assume the full hybrid would be similar but who knows.

OP
OP

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I haven't seen data on the 4xe, but I read somewhere that the 48vdc to 12vdc converter on the bsg equipped rigs is rated at 3,000 Watts, so 250A at 12v. I'd assume the full hybrid would be similar but who knows.
If that's the case, seems it'd be even less of a concern than with a traditional alternator setup. Nice.
Sponsored