Winch Cable Repair

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
I see no reason that I cannot repair this well used winch cable by removing the first 3 feet or so that is getting too rusty for my liking and creating another hook loop by looping the cable back on itself and securing it with several heavy duty cable clamps.

I know a better option is to buy another cable for $40, or better yet, upgrade to synthetic line for $100, but I have all parts needed to repair what I have on hand. The cable otherwise has no issues: no links, frayed areas, or significant rusty areas like the end of it.

Thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Cable Repair 20210506_191848

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Cable Repair 20210506_191855

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Cable Repair 20210506_191902
Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Look, I'm just gonna say that no trail guide worth their salt would let you pull anything with that cable. It is supposed to have a thimble to take the abuse. Further, they wouldn't let you pull anything with cable clamps on your winch.

Period. End of story. It is not worth losing a limb or your life. Buy a new cable rated for your winch.

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
Look, I'm just gonna say that no trail guide worth their salt would let you pull anything with that cable. It is supposed to have a thimble to take the abuse. Further, they wouldn't let you pull anything with cable clamps on your winch.

Period. End of story. It is not worth losing a limb or your life. Buy a new cable rated for your winch.
Alright, new cable it is then. You're right, it's not worth the risk.

A little bummed to only have gotten 2~ ish years of use out of it, but it served its purpose.

I'm going to read up on here about cable vs synthetic rope and see which way to go.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Just so I understand, You own a 40+ thousand dollar Jeep and your trying to save $100 on one of the most important pieces of recovery equipment and potentially also the most dangerous piece of recovery gear.

Buy the rope, It is cheap insurance against potential injury/death or extensive damage to your vehicle or someone else's vehicle.

Also you can repair the rope on the trail if a minute or so using the Factor 55 splicing tool.

https://factor55.com/product/fast-fid-new/

I carry this full time in my Jeep.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Alright, new cable it is then. You're right, it's not worth the risk.

A little bummed to only have gotten 2~ ish years of use out of it, but it served its purpose.

I'm going to read up on here about cable vs synthetic rope and see which way to go.
Steel cable is better if your winch works for a living, pulling logs, scrap metal and such. They hold up to the elements better if your winch is parked outside a lot without a cover.

Synthetic is much nicer to work with, no sharp barbs, so light you can toss it across a stream, etc. It is also much safer. There are two downsides; cost and it does not like being dragged across a sharp edge of rock or metal. Not sure if you have Rural King in Missouri, but 85' of 3/8" rope is on the shelf for $100 at my local store. I've been buying my rope from Custom Splice for 15 years and have always been happy with their products.

See you on the trails!

Sponsored

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
Just so I understand, You own a 40+ thousand dollar Jeep and your trying to save $100 on one of the most important pieces of recovery equipment and potentially also the most dangerous piece of recovery
^^^ that's the straight talk I need to hear. I'm just going to full on replace the cable, and make it a habit to inspect it and maintain it just as I do with all the other important regular maintenance.

I'm going to go with a new cable for the simple fact that I use the winch more for utility, i.e. pulling logs, brush, and the occasional recovery when I get myself into some sloppy stuff with no traction.

Thank you ALL for keeping me away from a potentially deadly, half assed fix

OP
OP
MattLaurence

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
Steel cable is better if your winch works for a living, pulling logs, scrap metal and such. They hold up to the elements better if your winch is parked outside a lot without a cover.

Synthetic is much nicer to work with, no sharp barbs, so light you can toss it across a stream, etc. It is also much safer. There are two downsides; cost and it does not like being dragged across a sharp edge of rock or metal. Not sure if you have Rural King in Missouri, but 85' of 3/8" rope is on the shelf for $100 at my local store. I've been buying my rope from Custom Splice for 15 years and have always been happy with their products.

See you on the trails!
Thanks!

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Hit it with WD-40 every once and a while so it doesn’t rust so quick.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hit it with WD-40 every once and a while so it doesn’t rust so quick.
Actually, CRC chain and cable lube is a much better alternative. It's specifically formulated to not attract abrasive material that lessens the lifespan of the individual strands. It also helps protect the steel from the elements.

In the world of overhead lift and rigging, dragging steel cable on the ground is a big no no. Sometimes it can't be avoided, so having a beater sling is nice for those occasions. But main working cables and slings should never be dragged through abrasive material, unless they will be immediately cleaned and relubed.

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
I see no reason that I cannot repair this well used winch cable by removing the first 3 feet or so that is getting too rusty for my liking and creating another hook loop by looping the cable back on itself and securing it with several heavy duty cable clamps.

I know a better option is to buy another cable for $40, or better yet, upgrade to synthetic line for $100, but I have all parts needed to repair what I have on hand. The cable otherwise has no issues: no links, frayed areas, or significant rusty areas like the end of it.

Thoughts?

Good advice to replace your cable. I've use steel and synthetic rope, both have pluses and minuses. I cut up a black foam rubber knee pad to fit the openings on my KJUR to keep the grit, grime and moisture off my winch. Used the winch often for pulling trees for firewood. After 5 years of service the cable still looks good.
Sponsored