Winch Bumper Build

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU-R
Although I had been pleased with the winch tray I had initially fabricated for the OEM plastic bumper (thread here if anyone is interested in seeing that: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/winch-mount-for-plastic-bumper.7605/ ), there had been a few too many times that I smacked the outside corner, causing the plastic bumper to fold back into the tire. Even the relatively mild BFG A/T's had no issue finding ample traction on the plastic bumper :giggle: Anyhoodles, it was time for a more substantial solution...

I started with an old leftover bumper I had built for one of my JKU-R's a while back:

IMG_5334.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG

There is about a 1-1/4" difference in the distance between the grill and the mounting flanges for the front bumper, so my old bumper would not bolt up directly... No big deal, as I wanted to clean up the looks of it a bit and go with some hidden hardware. So I made some simple 'L' shaped spacers and repurposed an old YJ transfercase drop to create some capture strips for the mounting bolts:

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

Then I made some tapered corners to finish the bumper off a little cleaner and less brutally utilitarian than it had been in it's previous life:

IMG_1944.JPG

A little work with the hot glue gun, some grinding to smooth things out, and a dab of fresh paint:

IMG_1948.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

IMG_1951.JPG

Should get the winch mounted back up sometime later this week, and then I'll decide on what to do for auxiliary lights... Round or maybe an LED bar this time??
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Nice work. I like it better than most aftermarket bumpers I have seen. Nice craftsmanship, you got skils..

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU-R
Got the winch installed and mounted up some WARN lights. I have to say, these factory auxiliary switches are fantastic!!

IMG_1961.JPG

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Looks good. I like seeing the inch down between the frame rails. Much stronger that way and I like the angles better for pulling. Great color choice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tobyw

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU-R
Looks good. I like seeing the inch down between the frame rails. Much stronger that way and I like the angles better for pulling. Great color choice.
Thanks, it's easily the nicest color of paint I have ever seen fall out of a rattle can... I stumbled on it when I built an '04 LJ a number of years back, and used it on the cage, sliders, rear bumper, and even on the wheels. It was surprisingly durable!!

IMG_2089.JPG