Willys Question

Mccorm67

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara
Is it Will-eeez? Or Will-isss? I watched a documentary about Jeeps and they pronounced it like “What choo talkin’ ‘bout Wiliiis??”
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Proper way is WILL-iss. John North Willys was the founder of Willys-Overland. My understanding is that he didn’t correct those who mispronounced his name.

WILL-eez is common enough. Once Kaiser bought the company you can hear it called both. Look up some early promotional films on YouTube. One I watched had both pronunciations in the same film by the same announcer.

Some people get very touchy about this. It doesn’t really matter that much.

Now this a a pronunciation that does matter BOO-ee. As in statesman, frontiersman and Alamo defender Jim Bowie and his famous knife. Not BOH-ee, as in the British pop star David, who actually took his last name from Jim and his knife.

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
I researched this for this very reason, LOL. And actually if you look at American English it is pronounced Will-eez. This is correct. Not Will-iss. There also is no actual proof that John Pronounced it Will-iss, mostly it is a educated guess because it is a sir name, or persons name. So most believe that John did pronounce it Will-iss and they are probably right.

And as most have said either now days has become acceptable.

But again according to Standard American English Will-eez is the correct way to say it.

Sounds like
wi·leez jeep
Sponsored