Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
I picked my Willy's up last month.

IMO the cold weather package is a must. Especially if you do any camping or hiking year round. You will be glad you have it.

I got the tow package as a future proof option. In case I need to tow something or decide I want to add things requiring the Aux switches. Have no interest in wiring aftermarket switches.

I believe the convenience package is required with the cold weather package now. Regardless the remote start and unlock with my phone has been used weekly since I picked it up.

LED lights are a must as well. The standard headlights are poor quality.

The smoking group is required to get a lighter port for the back seats. I didn't realize that and would have liked to be able to charge items in the back seats.

I regret not getting the upgraded sound system. Not sure how much better it would have been but the standard audio is a bit "bright" for my ears.

I decided to save money on the below.
I didn't get the 8.5 screen. A larger screen is nice but I have used the larger screen and Nav previously and honestly was not impressed. So I decided to save money on that package.

I did not get the advanced safety features. Blind spot would have been nice but the other features are better implemented in other brands IMO.
The upgraded sound system is part of the 8.4" NAV group and not a standalone if my memory is right...

Did you get the Selec-Trac in your Willys? And, do you have proximity keyless entry standard too? The second one is such a nice feature to have in winter, wearing gloves et all. Not sure which part of the country you're at though :)
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Rain here can make roads very slick. Especially if it has ‘t rained for weeks. The built up dirt and oils can be almost as bad as ice. Heavy rain can be tricky too but at least it cleans the roads off.

In my part of Texas, the Hill Country near San Antonio, we can go weeks without rain. A light rain after that much time makes roads, especially in town, very slick. In the summer and fall, rains from thunderstorms, tropical storms or hurricanes can be intense. Those rain bands do come this far inland.

If you are moving to the DFW area, you can get very intense thunderstorms. Houston is in a wetter climate and it rains there on a fairly regular basis. They get sea breeze pop up thunderstorms in the summer and are subject to tropical storm and hurricane rains as well

West of San Antonio gets progressively dryer as the Chihuahuan Desert starts about 150 miles west of here.

I use 4hi when the roads are slick or the downpours are heavy. Auto 4x4 would be a help to those days with super slick roads.

And yes, trailer tow has the other advantages I listed above. Mine doesn’t have it. If I was ordering I would definitely check that box.

Super

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK, 2022 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Black 3-pc hard top - YES
8.4" NAV group - You can have Navi without this using CarPlay
Advanced safety and safety group - Nice feature but expensive
Technology group - YES
Cold weather group - Man up and enjoy the cold.
Selec-Trac 4WD - Pass
Trailer Tow package - Nice option but you can install a hitch yourself for under $200 without the aux buttons.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Your reasonings helped!!

Have you used the trailer hitch for towing or added electrical items to make use of the aux switch connections?

Same reasons for doing the 8.4". I use the NAV and the adaptive cruise often as well. The NAV has saved me a few times in remote areas where my phone didn't have network connectivity.
I have used the trailer hitch once, which reminded me that I hate towing things, lol.

I have not added electrical things [yet] but anticipate adding some a-pillar lights in the future. I've also seen a clever "hack" where someone attached a 7-pin plug to their air compressor, so instead of hooking up to the battery terminals, you can just plug it in back there. It's on my list of things to do.

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I would get the cold weather package. I've found even if it's nice during the day and you drive after it gets dark out it can get cold enough at highway speed that having the heated seats and wheel is really nice. I also have a lava jacket to push the door less season as far as possible. Remote start is nice in hot weather also if you're somewhere you can't take the top/doors off.

The auto 4wd isn't something I'd personally consider. My jeep doesn't come out during the salty winter.

I did get the trailer package. I like having the aux switches but you can probably get away without it

I didnt want the safety packages but I wanted auto high beams which forced both packages and I dont regret it. The adaptive cruise is nice but not great. Other manufacturers have dialed it in better.

Sponsored

High-Strung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLURD
Everyone has a different idea of what features they want on their Jeeps. I think this is great which helps make every Jeep unique. For example,

When I ordered my Rubicon, I chose the black 3 piece hard top, 8.4" NAV group came standard, and technology group included I think.

I could care less about the advanced safety features. Before my JLURD, I was dailying a 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum edition with all the bells and whistles. One thing that irked me about the vehicle was sometimes the blind spot sensors would go off automatically making me think that I hit something causing me to slam on the breaks. Especially when the vehicle was really dirty or when cars would pass by and freak out the sensors.

I live in deep South Texas and I chose the cold weather group. I can't stand cold weather and with these 30-degree days, I was sure glad I had the package. I didn't get the select-trac since I wanted to have manual control of the t-case.

The trailer tow package was a must in my opinion. I can tow my boat, pull a utility trailer, and use it sparingly as a recovery point.

syismaster1

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Hey all!

I am planning on turning in my leased Sahara and custom ordering a Willys. This is likely going to be my long term vehicle for at least 6-7 years (well... unless Jeep comes out with a super cool JL mid cycle or a brand new JM?? LOL)

I need some help from the Jeepers here to help me decide on package options. Some packages, I am sure I need them. Others, I am on the fence and unclear.

I want these options for sure:
  • Black 3-pc hard top
  • 8.4" NAV group
  • Advanced safety and safety group
  • Technology group
I need your help to figure these out:
  • Cold weather group or stand-alone convenience group?
    I live in the Midwest now and the cold weather group has been super useful in keeping my hands and a$$ warm for 5 months of the year when it is below 40F!
    If i did move south to Texas, for example. Do I really need the Cold Weather group or can I get away with the remote start feature in the convenience group?

• Selec-Trac 4WD: The 4hi Auto is great when my wife drives the Jeep on snow/rain days. If we moved to a snow-free state, would I find the Selec-Trac useful?
    I will be doing mild to moderate offroading for sure, but I typically use 4hi part time and 4lo as necessary.
    Is the Selec-Trac a good-to-have or a must-have?

• Trailer Tow package:
    I don't have kayaks, quad bikes or campers and won't be towing unless we need to move large items.
    This package comes with the larger alternator and the aux power connections. I don't plan on installing additional high power light bars at this time.

Any other major benefit I've left out with this package?

I am looking at saving some $$$ to do some immediate mods (steel bumpers, new tires), so I would much appreciate your inputs on the packages!!

Happy Jeeping!:jk:
I ordered my 2021 Willys exactly with the same options as you but with the Gorilla Glass windshield that was $95 at the time ($495 now).
If you do alot of highway driving, I would get it because I have heard the rocks hit the windshield and so far so good (knock on wood)

Good job getting the 8.4" group because I heard the stereo in my friends JL with the 7" screen and base stereo and it is significantly worse than the 8.4 with alpine. If you care decently about audio I would not skip it.

Trailer tow package doesn't seem necessary with your use.

I have the standard 4 wheel drive and for the light mudding and off roading it has worked great so far so the SELEC-Trac doesn't seem necessary.

I am in Florida but even when it gets to 30's in Tampa or when we drive up North, I wish I had the Cold weather Group so I wouldn't skip it in any other state. Also the heated seats and wheel work great so if you can afford it it is definitely nice but if it will break the bank the heater works good too from personal experience.

Also both safety groups transform the experience of this car because they are so well done. If you drive over 1k miles a month which most people do its 110% worth it. Some people don't think so but the adaptive cruise is aggressive enough in Miami traffic which means it'll be fine most places.

powerfade

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito!, 2022 JLUWXR Sarge
Just got mine. Sun and Sound and XR packages are by far my favorite! I don’t think I could live without adaptive cruise control and heated steering wheel now.

zaneiz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
The upgraded sound system is part of the 8.4" NAV group and not a standalone if my memory is right...

Did you get the Selec-Trac in your Willys? And, do you have proximity keyless entry standard too? The second one is such a nice feature to have in winter, wearing gloves et all. Not sure which part of the country you're at though :)
I didn't even look at what was required for the sound system. But still wouldn't have gotten since it required the 8.4.

I did get the prox locks. That's a must for me now. I did not get the select trac. Didn't seem like a necessity for me.

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
A lot of great replies and perspectives on how each person uses a feature/package.

Can anyone please tell me if I can add the Convenience Group as a standalone option (so I can get the remote start feature)?

Considering where I'm at and where I may end up location wise in the near future, i am on the fence on the Cold Weather Group and will likely skip it if I can get by with the remote start feature. My Midwest body considers sub 20 degrees as starting to feel cold:LOL:

I have only used 4hi part time off-road and 4-hi auto on pavement.
To the folks that have driven on pavement with 4hi part time - is there a 55mph speed limit?

When we go on long road trips for camping and hiking or when its pouring out, I'd like to have the set it and forget it 4hi auto feature for my wife to drive.

Sponsored

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
A lot of great replies and perspectives on how each person uses a feature/package.

Can anyone please tell me if I can add the Convenience Group as a standalone option (so I can get the remote start feature)?

Considering where I'm at and where I may end up location wise in the near future, i am on the fence on the Cold Weather Group and will likely skip it if I can get by with the remote start feature. My Midwest body considers sub 20 degrees as starting to feel cold:LOL:

I have only used 4hi part time off-road and 4-hi auto on pavement.
To the folks that have driven on pavement with 4hi part time - is there a 55mph speed limit?

When we go on long road trips for camping and hiking or when its pouring out, I'd like to have the set it and forget it 4hi auto feature for my wife to drive.
Yes, you can order the Convenience Group (Remote Start) by itself ($695 with auto, $495 with 6 speed) but it is automatically added in your build if you get the Cold Package ($1,145 with auto, $845 with 6 speed).
The Convenience Group cost is $495 if you add the Cold Package, ($1,640 total with auto).

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, you can order the Convenience (Remote Start) by itself ($695 with auto, $495 with 6 speed) but it is automatically added in your build if you get the Cold Package ($1,145 with auto, $845 with 6 speed).
Thank you, Zach.
Yes, the Convenience Group automatically gets added with the cold weather group. The $695 option ends up becoming a $18xx option with the cold weather group added! They sure do know how to extract every cent from us customers lol

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
Thank you, Zach.
Yes, the Convenience Group automatically gets added with the cold weather group. The $695 option ends up becoming a $18xx option with the cold weather group added! They sure do know how to extract every cent from us customers lol
I believe $200 is knocked off the price if the Cold pkg (ADE) is added but yes, still steep. The Buyers Guide shows this I think...

Last edited:

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Are you on a budget with this order or just rather not indulge yourself with every option? Personally, I was more of the latter when I ordered my Jeep.

The Cold Weather Group is an interesting option. There's no doubt the heated seats and wheel are very nice. I don't have any regrets about my order but if I was able to redo it again in 2019, I would seriously reconsider adding the Cold Weather Group. With cloth seats, I just don't find them necessary. I would find myself turning them off after a few minutes. As you likely noticed since you already have a 2021, Jeeps heaters get very hot very quickly. That's why I didn't get this option. If I was to have leather seats, then I would consider the Cold Weather Group a must have. I'm guessing you're not getting leather since it wasn't mentioned, but I think this option ultimately depends on cloth or leather.

If your wife drives the Jeep often, it's probably a good idea to get auto-4WD for the peace of mind even if it's not a snowy state. You do not want to have it on automatic when off-roading. With that said, this a luxury option and isn't a 'need' in the snow belt, either. If on a budget, I wouldn't order it. If there's not a strict budget, get it.

If you're not going to tow or use the aux connections, there's zero reason to get the tow package. A larger battery or alternator do not benefit you if you don't need them.

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Are you on a budget with this order or just rather not indulge yourself with every option? Personally, I was more of the latter when I ordered my Jeep.

The Cold Weather Group is an interesting option. There's no doubt the heated seats and wheel are very nice. I don't have any regrets about my order but if I was able to redo it again in 2019, I would seriously reconsider adding the Cold Weather Group. With cloth seats, I just don't find them necessary. I would find myself turning them off after a few minutes. As you likely noticed since you already have a 2021, Jeeps heaters get very hot very quickly. That's why I didn't get this option. If I was to have leather seats, then I would consider the Cold Weather Group a must have. I'm guessing you're not getting leather since it wasn't mentioned, but I think this option ultimately depends on cloth or leather.

If your wife drives the Jeep often, it's probably a good idea to get auto-4WD for the peace of mind even if it's not a snowy state. You do not want to have it on automatic when off-roading. With that said, this a luxury option and isn't a 'need' in the snow belt, either. If on a budget, I wouldn't order it. If there's not a strict budget, get it.

If you're not going to tow or use the aux connections, there's zero reason to get the tow package. A larger battery or alternator do not benefit you if you don't need them.
Thank you for shedding good light on several items!

I am not on a very tight budget but I'm cautious of not wanting to splurge just for the heck of it.

Cold Weather Group - I am on the fence with this and leaning on the 'skip' side. It works great, both the heated wheel and heated seats. I have forgotten to turn it on on a cold day and found the Jeep's heaters to warm up the vehicle quite fast. Much faster than other vehicles I've owned or driven. I'm definitely going with cloth seats, which don't get as cold as leather.

I am really on the fence with the SelecTrac. It was a useful tech to have the vehicle take care of 2WD and 4WD switching on slush and freezing rain conditions. And when my wife drove 60-70 miles for work. If i moved out of the Midwest in the coming months, I am debating if i need this option at all.
I am so dilly-dallying on this - if I drove in pouring rain, or to a place like CO or Montana and needed the added safety.......

I am skipping the tow group.
Sponsored