Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
Hey all!

I am planning on turning in my leased Sahara and custom ordering a Willys. This is likely going to be my long term vehicle for at least 6-7 years (well... unless Jeep comes out with a super cool JL mid cycle or a brand new JM?? LOL)

I need some help from the Jeepers here to help me decide on package options. Some packages, I am sure I need them. Others, I am on the fence and unclear.

I want these options for sure:
  • Black 3-pc hard top
  • 8.4" NAV group
  • Advanced safety and safety group
  • Technology group
I need your help to figure these out:
  • Cold weather group or stand-alone convenience group?
    I live in the Midwest now and the cold weather group has been super useful in keeping my hands and a$$ warm for 5 months of the year when it is below 40F!
    If i did move south to Texas, for example. Do I really need the Cold Weather group or can I get away with the remote start feature in the convenience group?

• Selec-Trac 4WD: The 4hi Auto is great when my wife drives the Jeep on snow/rain days. If we moved to a snow-free state, would I find the Selec-Trac useful?
    I will be doing mild to moderate offroading for sure, but I typically use 4hi part time and 4lo as necessary.
    Is the Selec-Trac a good-to-have or a must-have?

• Trailer Tow package:
    I don't have kayaks, quad bikes or campers and won't be towing unless we need to move large items.
    This package comes with the larger alternator and the aux power connections. I don't plan on installing additional high power light bars at this time.

Any other major benefit I've left out with this package?

I am looking at saving some $$$ to do some immediate mods (steel bumpers, new tires), so I would much appreciate your inputs on the packages!!

Happy Jeeping!:jk:
Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I would go with the cold weather package seeing you live in the Midwest. The seats and steering wheel heat up very fast. The steering wheel can get pretty warm, too bad you can’t adjust the heat setting on it. The trailer hitch package will also give you the auxiliary switches for hooking up lights, etc. That alone is a bonus, saves a lot of time hooking up electrical accessories. The select-trac seems to work well from what I have read. If it makes your wife more comfortable with it I would consider it. Looking forward to your selections.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I’d skip nav and just use Waze though your phone.

Trailer tow for sure, you get a higher output alternator, higher rated battery and up fitter switches.

Auto 4x4 is up to you. Probably worth it in snow country if you aren’t sure about when to shift in and out of 4hi, or just don’t want to mess with it.

RandomSquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude, 2013 Triumph Rocket3
Very similar to what I ordered, and what I was debating on before I placed my order. I was torn between a Willy's or a Sport Altitude. Doing the math, equally optioned, the Sport Altitude came in about 1-2K less. Sure, I didn't get the Rubicon shocks or the rocker protectors, but you can easily get both of those aftermarket for much, much cheaper. Yes, costs have gone up, but here's what I went with:

'21 Sport Altitude (which includes the hard top, black wheels, and HD suspension and brakes)
3.6/auto
SelecTrac (which includes the limited slip rear package)
8.4" package (the stereo is a night and day difference to the non-Alpine system, and the 8.4" screen looks nicer)
LED package (these headlights and fogs are fantastic)
Cold Weather package (heated seats/steering wheel have spoiled me)
Tow package (I don't tow either, but having the ability to do so, plus the AUX buttons made this a no-brainer)
Total "sticker": $49,800. I didn't pay that, but that's the sticker cost. I think now it's about 50,500 for the exact same due to "inflation", but that's the "jist" of it. I've had her almost a year now, and I love it. Bought a soft top second-hand, side steps, Rubi wheels/tires, and Rubi suspension...soon to add a bumper and winch, and that'll be "it" (or so I say now). lol

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Cold weather group is, IMO, a must-have. You won't get snow as often in Texas, but it does get cold, sometimes. However, I also use the seat heaters on long road trips - it feels great on your back when you've been driving for a few hours. It's pretty cheap so why not pamper yourself a little?

I have the Selec-Trac on my Sahara and I like it - most trails I just put it in that and go, and don't have to worry about it. Note that it also includes (well, forces the option...) the Limited-Slip Differential, which you'll definitely notice out on trails.

I also have the tow package, but not sure I would do it again. It *does* get you the upgraded alternator, and tbh, having that trailer hitch back there has probably saved my muffler/bumper a few times on the trail. Otherwise, I think you could safely skip this one.

The 8.4 is a worthy upgrade over the 7, even if you don't use the nav. Many will tell you to skip the safety/tech packages, but I love them. I use the adjustable cruise constantly.

Sponsored

zaneiz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I picked my Willy's up last month.

IMO the cold weather package is a must. Especially if you do any camping or hiking year round. You will be glad you have it.

I got the tow package as a future proof option. In case I need to tow something or decide I want to add things requiring the Aux switches. Have no interest in wiring aftermarket switches.

I believe the convenience package is required with the cold weather package now. Regardless the remote start and unlock with my phone has been used weekly since I picked it up.

LED lights are a must as well. The standard headlights are poor quality.

The smoking group is required to get a lighter port for the back seats. I didn't realize that and would have liked to be able to charge items in the back seats.

I regret not getting the upgraded sound system. Not sure how much better it would have been but the standard audio is a bit "bright" for my ears.

I decided to save money on the below.
I didn't get the 8.5 screen. A larger screen is nice but I have used the larger screen and Nav previously and honestly was not impressed. So I decided to save money on that package.

I did not get the advanced safety features. Blind spot would have been nice but the other features are better implemented in other brands IMO.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Get LED light pkg. Cold weather for where you live NOW ! WE HAVE SELECT TRAC ITS GOOD, HOWEVER LIVE IN SNOW COUNTRY, USED IT TWICE TO SEE IF IT WORKED AND TWICE IN SNOW since 2019??? limited slip great!

Go Jeep!!!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Have you looked at the Rubicon, especially a special order from one of the below invoice dealers on the site? Might surprise yourself if you pick and choose just the options you want, price might not be too far off and the Rubicon has SO much more, w/ the drivetrain especially, just my 2cs.

kj11

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport Altitude
Very similar to what I ordered, and what I was debating on before I placed my order. I was torn between a Willy's or a Sport Altitude. Doing the math, equally optioned, the Sport Altitude came in about 1-2K less. Sure, I didn't get the Rubicon shocks or the rocker protectors, but you can easily get both of those aftermarket for much, much cheaper. Yes, costs have gone up, but here's what I went with:

'21 Sport Altitude (which includes the hard top, black wheels, and HD suspension and brakes)
3.6/auto
SelecTrac (which includes the limited slip rear package)
8.4" package (the stereo is a night and day difference to the non-Alpine system, and the 8.4" screen looks nicer)
LED package (these headlights and fogs are fantastic)
Cold Weather package (heated seats/steering wheel have spoiled me)
Tow package (I don't tow either, but having the ability to do so, plus the AUX buttons made this a no-brainer)
Total "sticker": $49,800. I didn't pay that, but that's the sticker cost. I think now it's about 50,500 for the exact same due to "inflation", but that's the "jist" of it. I've had her almost a year now, and I love it. Bought a soft top second-hand, side steps, Rubi wheels/tires, and Rubi suspension...soon to add a bumper and winch, and that'll be "it" (or so I say now). lol
Similar, but the lack of power windows and locks on the Willys killed it for me. What year is this??

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I would go with the cold weather package seeing you live in the Midwest. The seats and steering wheel heat up very fast. The steering wheel can get pretty warm, too bad you can’t adjust the heat setting on it. The trailer hitch package will also give you the auxiliary switches for hooking up lights, etc. That alone is a bonus, saves a lot of time hooking up electrical accessories. The select-trac seems to work well from what I have read. If it makes your wife more comfortable with it I would consider it. Looking forward to your selections.
Good points. The cold weather package is useful for me nearly half the year. And after a long day kayaking, the warm seats offer relief to my back.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I’d skip nav and just use Waze though your phone.

Trailer tow for sure, you get a higher output alternator, higher rated battery and up fitter switches.

Auto 4x4 is up to you. Probably worth it in snow country if you aren’t sure about when to shift in and out of 4hi, or just don’t want to mess with it.
Trailer Tow even if I don't plan on towing anything, at least in the near future, say 3 years? I would only need it if we were moving...
Question for you since you are in TX. Auto 4hi is useful in heavy rains, as i've seen in summer thunderstorms here. Do you happen to get a lot of rain and hydroplaning on TX roads?

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
Similar, but the lack of power windows and locks on the Willys killed it for me. What year is this??
The Willys comes standard with power windows and locks. The Willys Sport does not.

Seeing how he is ordering said Jeep, we can all assume it is a 2022. No?

KevinC

kj11

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport Altitude
Got confused with the sport, my bad

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Cold weather group is, IMO, a must-have. You won't get snow as often in Texas, but it does get cold, sometimes. However, I also use the seat heaters on long road trips - it feels great on your back when you've been driving for a few hours. It's pretty cheap so why not pamper yourself a little?

I have the Selec-Trac on my Sahara and I like it - most trails I just put it in that and go, and don't have to worry about it. Note that it also includes (well, forces the option...) the Limited-Slip Differential, which you'll definitely notice out on trails.

I also have the tow package, but not sure I would do it again. It *does* get you the upgraded alternator, and tbh, having that trailer hitch back there has probably saved my muffler/bumper a few times on the trail. Otherwise, I think you could safely skip this one.

The 8.4 is a worthy upgrade over the 7, even if you don't use the nav. Many will tell you to skip the safety/tech packages, but I love them. I use the adjustable cruise constantly.
Your reasonings helped!!

Have you used the trailer hitch for towing or added electrical items to make use of the aux switch connections?

Same reasons for doing the 8.4". I use the NAV and the adaptive cruise often as well. The NAV has saved me a few times in remote areas where my phone didn't have network connectivity.

OP
OP

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Have you looked at the Rubicon, especially a special order from one of the below invoice dealers on the site? Might surprise yourself if you pick and choose just the options you want, price might not be too far off and the Rubicon has SO much more, w/ the drivetrain especially, just my 2cs.
Yessir, I did look at the Rubicon and optioned it out.
Drivetrain is top notch to start with, but when I added LEDs, hard top, cold weather and the tech group, all of which are mandatory for me, price rocketed up to a $6-7000 increase compared to a loaded Willys.
Sponsored