Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
High-five for your guts and class in Iraq . I put a Duster decal on my Jeep .

Also , fist-bump for your rational dialogue .

However , you will never save enough fuel to make up for the possibility of electronic wiring going south . The Humvee contractors got that right . Ask anyone at AEV .

Jeep owners are not known for being concerned about fuel prices . That's why you also have a honda and yamaha . Ask anyone at AEV .
Having rational dialogue is much better than trolling people I think. :like:

The Jeep is still my daily driver so better fuel economy was a big factor when it came to getting a new vehicle. In fact it was the improved mileage over the JK that made me really consider the Wrangler instead of the other Jeep models I was looking at. My wife drives the Honda as she has a longer commute to work, so I really don't drive it.

I live in town, and we have plenty of red lights for me to use ESS. When I was sitting at a red light in my old truck you could literally watch your average MPG go down, especially if its a long light. Well that's not the case now.

Also, do you work at AEV?
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
In fact it was the improved mileage over the JK that made me really consider the Wrangler instead of the other Jeep models I was looking at.
Also, do you work at AEV?
I have a 2016 JK 2-door Sport , which has averaged 21.05 mph over 28K miles . My wife has a 2016 Toy. Rav-4 , which has averaged 29.1 mpg over 20K miles . Both are flawless with no repairs , and initial prices were close ( 25K vs. 23K ) .

My opinion is that the Jeep is Far superior because of the steel protection inside and outside the roll bar , strength , outside visability , acceleration , 16" black steel wheels , and the ease of entry and seating position for a disabled person . The only comparable Toy. was the FJ Cruiser . The JK 2-door came with a FCA adaptability expense refund , so I saved with my disabled person seat upgrades .

I'd rather pay a penalty of 8 mpg to have the Jeep . Also , the Jeep has a fun and attitude cachet which no other vehicle has . Also , the Jeep owners I meet are uniformly good people to talk with . Finally , I was able to install a beer bottle opener in the dash of my Jeep .

I wish I worked with AEV , but they are up in northern states . I have enormous respect for them because of their careful logic and common sense . My only connection with them is I ordered an AEV flannel large overshirt to wear if I am ever disabled on a cold night . Excellent product .

I was Army Infantry in Vietnam . Yourself ?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2016 JK 2-door Sport , which has averaged 21.05 mph over 28K miles . My wife has a 2016 Toy. Rav-4 , which has averaged 29.1 mpg over 20K miles . Both are flawless with no repairs , and initial prices were close ( 25K vs. 23K ) .

My opinion is that the Jeep is Far superior because of the steel protection inside and outside the roll bar , strength , outside visability , acceleration , 16" black steel wheels , and the ease of entry and seating position for a disabled person . The only comparable Toy. was the FJ Cruiser . The JK 2-door came with a FCA adaptability expense refund , so I saved with my disabled person seat upgrades .

I'd rather pay a penalty of 8 mpg to have the Jeep . Also , the Jeep has a fun and attitude cachet which no other vehicle has . Also , the Jeep owners I meet are uniformly good people to talk with . Finally , I was able to install a beer bottle opener in the dash of my Jeep .

I wish I worked with AEV , but they are up in northern states . I have enormous respect for them because of their careful logic and common sense . My only connection with them is I ordered an AEV flannel large overshirt to wear if I am ever disabled on a cold night . Excellent product .

I was Army Infantry in Vietnam . Yourself ?
I traded in my 2010 Ram 1500 4x2 with the 5.7 Hemi, and once I moved back home I was starting to Average about 15 MPG in my daily drive to work. I was in the market for a new vehicle anyways, and I wanted something with better mileage, and since it had pretty much the same mileage estimates the JK really wasn't in my short list but the Cherokee Trailhawk was. Well when the JL was revealed and I saw improvements with the 8 speed transmission and ESS that caught my eye. I took a test drive and I was hooked, as it was far superior to the 2008 JK I had test driven before I got my truck. Overall I'm pretty happy with how the JL drives and I'm getting about 20-21 MPG on average, but I'm sure if I had more highway driving and cut out stop and go traffic that number would go up a few more. Plus with 4 wheel drive I'm not losing traction all the time on wet and icy roads.

Marine Corps, Artillery Scout so I was with the infantry all the time. 4 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afganistan.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Plus with 4 wheel drive I'm not losing traction all the time on wet and icy roads.
Marine Corps, Artillery Scout so I was with the infantry all the time. 4 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afganistan.
Outstanding . All hardass Marines are outstanding . They all deserve free Jeeps . I always buy any Marine a beer .

Also , All hardass combat veterans are outstanding . Including , in 1982 , U.K. Brit Royal Marines and Paras in Falklands , and the U.K. Brit Light Infantry Brigade in WWII . Churchill contrasted infantry volunteers as "British" , and shirkers as "despicable" . There was also a Canadian with one eye in Europe in WWII , who was an equivalent of our Audie Murphy . Millions and millions of outstanding hardass veterans .

Yep , 4 wheel drive is one additional reason to own a Jeep . By the way , we are averaging about the same 21 mpg even with your start-stop , eh ?

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Outstanding . All hardass Marines are outstanding . They all deserve free Jeeps . I always buy any Marine a beer .

Also , All hardass combat veterans are outstanding . Including , in 1982 , U.K. Brit Royal Marines and Paras in Falklands , and the U.K. Brit Light Infantry Brigade in WWII . Churchill contrasted infantry volunteers as "British" , and shirkers as "despicable" . There was also a Canadian with one eye in Europe in WWII , who was an equivalent of our Audie Murphy . Millions and millions of outstanding hardass veterans .

Yep , 4 wheel drive is one additional reason to own a Jeep . By the way , we are averaging about the same 21 mpg even with your start-stop , eh ?
I've got full respect for all veterans myself.

20-21 with a good bit of stop and go traffic, and sitting at stop lights. If I had my old commute that had more country roads and highway I'd probably be up to 23ish if I were to guess.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I've got full respect for all veterans myself.

20-21 with a good bit of stop and go traffic, and sitting at stop lights. If I had my old commute that had more country roads and highway I'd probably be up to 23ish if I were to guess.
I apologize for mocking the start-stop . ( But if it was me , I'd go overland around the stop lights to stop the engine from stopping .) "Officer , this is what Jeeps are for ."

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I apologize for mocking the start-stop . ( But if it was me , I'd go overland around the stop lights to stop the engine from stopping .) "Officer , this is what Jeeps are for ."
Honestly I do think thats the first time I've seen an apology over this, and it's refreshing. And if all someone says is, "I tried it, but I just don't like it and I disable," I fully understand and I'm okay with it.

And its quite effective if you're driving in town, but if you're always either on the highway or on a back road with no stops, then its not going to do anything.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
the first time I've seen an apology over this
After spending my life mocking everything , I've made a few thousand apologies over time . Never got me fired , but it's been close .

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I need an opinion: I have a 2018 JL Sahara with stock wheels & tires (18 inch). I was thinking about getting new tires in the fall, and was wondering:
1. Should I switch out to 17 inch rims also? What's the advantage Other than more choices of tires?
2. I want BFG K02's, does it matter what size rims?
3. Why would I want to change rims??? I need to know!!!
Thanks for your input

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I would personally go with 17" if swapping for the weight savings. If switching to a ko2 rubi setup the two are only 3lbs apart with the ko2s being heavier. Rotational mass makes a big difference, i read its a 1:7 ratio. So if you add 10lbs to every corner its the equivalent of putting an additional 280lbs in the vehicle.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I would personally go with 17" if swapping for the weight savings. If switching to a ko2 rubi setup the two are only 3lbs apart with the ko2s being heavier. Rotational mass makes a big difference, i read its a 1:7 ratio. So if you add 10lbs to every corner its the equivalent of putting an additional 280lbs in the vehicle.
Good point. Is there a reason I should keep the 18 inch rims and go with another tire choice? I'm not going off road much but would like the choice if I wanted to.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Good point. Is there a reason I should keep the 18 inch rims and go with another tire choice? I'm not going off road much but would like the choice if I wanted to.
Just really depends on what you like. There are pics of stock sahara rims in 18" ko2 on here. I am picking up a set of rubi rims tomorrow. I like the looks of a wider tire without going too crazy. Anything over a 33" just is not for me.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Just really depends on what you like. There are pics of stock sahara rims in 18" ko2 on here. I am picking up a set of rubi rims tomorrow. I like the looks of a wider tire without going too crazy. Anything over a 33" just is not for me.
This is exactly what I intend to do also.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Sold my plastidipped Sahara 18’s and went with Moab 17’s and 33” KO2’s, really like the look! About an inch more in diameter but over an inch wider, much better ride IMO and I’m told the speedo is now off 1mph at 60mph. No rubbing at all.

DABF5896-6FB8-4E83-981F-93EA7AF422CE.jpeg

8602CE6E-1A49-4C97-879C-4BA1D5681814.jpeg

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Sold my plastidipped Sahara 18’s and went with Moab 17’s and 33” KO2’s, really like the look! About an inch more in diameter but over an inch wider, much better ride IMO and I’m told the speedo is now off 1mph at 60mph. No rubbing at all.

DABF5896-6FB8-4E83-981F-93EA7AF422CE.jpeg

8602CE6E-1A49-4C97-879C-4BA1D5681814.jpeg
That’s the look that I want. You say it’s about 1inch wider?
Sponsored