Why do Saharas have 18" wheels?

maus92

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS Firecracker Red
I've always wondered why Saharas are equipped with 18" wheels. Tire sizes are limited, and Jeep owners tend to change out to 17" (or lately 20") wheels. I asked the dealer, and did a quick Google search, but haven't found a definitive answer.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
18” wheels are a fair comprise, there are lots of 18” for tires that are suited for on and off road that are not priced badly

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Switched mine to 17" Rubi wheels/tires from a 2017 Rubi as soon as I could.....more options for tires and did not like my JL Sahara OEM Wheels!

Jeep with Rubi Wheels.jpg

Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Sahara model gets 18" wheels because it is the luxury version of the Wrangler and 'luxury' usually equates to larger wheels. But the Wrangler is a serious off-road vehicle first so will not get 20" wheels which are usually for pavement pounders.

Not sure what tire choices you are looking for OP but sounds like you want to opt to 20" or looking for wider stance which would require new wheels.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
'luxury' usually equates to larger wheels.
16" steel wheels for faster going around ability ; the larger the wheel diameter , the further they need to go around . Ya ever seen the stupid wheels on the Monster Trucks ? The only time those Monster Truck wheels were ever useful was during hurricanes in New Orleans and Houston , when they rescued people who only owned a wuss tesla or prius . The tesla owners were shocked . Then the Monster Trucks became heros .

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
16" steel wheels for faster going around ability ; the larger the wheel diameter , the further they need to go around . Ya ever seen the stupid wheels on the Monster Trucks ? The only time those Monster Truck wheels were ever useful was during hurricanes in New Orleans and Houston , when they rescued people who only owned a wuss tesla or prius . The tesla owners were shocked . Then the Monster Trucks became heros .
Even though the sahara has 18” wheels the tire diameter is about the same as the 17” tires, just uses lower profile sidewall tires. Not sure 16” wheels will clear the larger brakes of the Sahara/Rubi but I could be wrong.

But yes, luxury sport vehicles tend to have larger diameter wheels with lower profile tires. Not ideal for off roading and usually heavier.

OP
OP

maus92

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS Firecracker Red
Sahara model gets 18" wheels because it is the luxury version of the Wrangler and 'luxury' usually equates to larger wheels. But the Wrangler is a serious off-road vehicle first so will not get 20" wheels which are usually for pavement pounders.

Not sure what tire choices you are looking for OP but sounds like you want to opt to 20" or looking for wider stance which would require new wheels.
No, I don't want 20" wheels. I want to know why Jeep continues to shoe Saharas with 18" wheels when most get removed and replaced. Also, tire selection in 18s isn't as broad as 17s, so what's the point of 18s in the first place? Is it simply looks? Maybe they ride slightly better?

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
No, I don't want 20" wheels. I want to know why Jeep continues to shoe Saharas with 18" wheels when most get removed and replaced. Also, tire selection in 18s isn't as broad as 17s, so what's the point of 18s in the first place? Is it simply looks? Maybe they ride slightly better?
Just for looks and to distinguish it as more of an upscale luxury product. Usually lower profile tires handle better but ride harsher, at least for sport cars. Not sure Jeep drivers care about handling. It’s still a Jeep.

Look at all the newer SUVs now equipped with 19” and 20” wheels. These low profile tires ride harsher, are more susceptible to road damage and more expensive to replace. Usually heavier which reduces fuel mpg.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
No, I don't want 20" wheels. I want to know why Jeep continues to shoe Saharas with 18" wheels when most get removed and replaced. ... Is it simply looks? Maybe they ride slightly better?
Don’t over analyze it: Because FCA marketing believes Sahara sells better with 18” wheels ... it’s that simple.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I want to know why Jeep continues to shoe Saharas with 18" wheels when most get removed and replaced.
Why does Jeep even put wheels on at the factory?