Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
If you are not familiar with a jeep many would not realize the power window button is in the middle of the dash. Dumbest setup I have seen.

But yes in the humid northern Virginia area I use AC. Even with the top down it is nice to have that cool breeze when you stop.
Funny you bring up the window buttons on the dash. I wish I had a dollar for every passenger in my Jeep that slid their hand along the arm rest like that would make the button magically appear.
Your “why” are the buttons there is also a good question. I’ve read it’s because the doors are removable but you still have to disconnect a harness to remove the doors.
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
So many people on here are never going to sell their Jeeps. In most cases, I doubt that that sentiment lasts for long.

No A/C, no power windows. Now you just need to opt for the manual to really make it a one-of-a-kind resale. Don't get me wrong, we all want our Jeeps to our liking, but if you are doing it for financial reasons it's a pay me now or pay me later situation.
Or buy something more affordable, like a RAV-4, CR-V. Better yet, he could go back and find a used YJ because it’s likely the AC won’t even work in one of those, if it came with it, and they didn’t have power windows or locks. He would even save money because the YJ didn’t have a CD player, so no uConnect issues either.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Why wouldn’t you want your upper body as cool as your undercarriage on a hot day? The wind blowing our shorts feels nice as our shorts are blown up like a wind sock, but the rest of you is behind the windshield, so AC is a great thing to have. Driving around town or on the highway with the windshield down is a dumb idea, just ask all the rock strikes you’ll see on your window within months of owning it. That could be your face. My biggest beef with my JL, after getting rid of my F-150 FX4 is that the JL lacks AC in the seats. There is no greater satisfaction than a cold undercarriage. I would have an extra $2000 just for that.

Last edited:

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
In all honesty, I could probably get by without A/C... if it were just me. But I have a wife and daughter, so that's not happening.

It's worth the thousand bucks.

Sponsored

TPAJETSKI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Corvette
When the wife and i were jeep hunting she knew she wanted a 2 door manual with power windows and locks. We went to a local dealer who said he had one. We test drove it. It was a muggy rainy day in Florida. I was in the back. I asked my wife to turn on the ac. Salesman says this one doesnt have ac. Turns out it didnt have power windows either. By the time we got back the windows were all fogged.

TimothyFS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Reached my highes level of incompetence - Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Anyone out there running without A/C? Have it but never use it? I'm ordering soon and wondering if the $1300 is going to be a waste. If it's hot, I'm going to have the top off/down. Give me some scenarios where A/C is a must. Thanks!
After a couple weeks of 110+ days in Central Arizona you'd probably reconsider..

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Arizona. Opening her up at 114 does nothing but coat you in a layer of salt from dry sweat, kinda nasty

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I use the AC ever time I get in Jeep here in the Pacific Northwest. Rain or shine. Even when it is 40 degrees and damp, the AC extracts moisture out of the air to prevent fogging up the windows.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If you are not familiar with a jeep many would not realize the power window button is in the middle of the dash. Dumbest setup I have seen.

But yes in the humid northern Virginia area I use AC. Even with the top down it is nice to have that cool breeze when you stop.
Funny you bring up the window buttons on the dash. I wish I had a dollar for every passenger in my Jeep that slid their hand along the arm rest like that would make the button magically appear.
Your “why” are the buttons there is also a good question. I’ve read it’s because the doors are removable but you still have to disconnect a harness to remove the doors.
It not only simplifies the doors, but allows the Unlimiteds to retain use of the back windows when just the front doors are removed. 2 door jeeps just get to enjoy the simpler door part.

It took me a while to get used to it. Now that I am, I find myself searching other people's dashboard to roll down the window. :LOL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
captainmac44

captainmac44

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport
It not only simplifies the doors, but allows the Unlimiteds to retain use of the back windows when just the front doors are removed. 2 door jeeps just get to enjoy the simpler door part.

It took me a while to get used to it. Now that I am, I find myself searching other people's dashboard to roll down the window. :LOL:
I had a Firebird that had the power window toggles on the center console.

OP
OP
captainmac44

captainmac44

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport
I’m surprised that this thread is at 8 pages. This is an extremely easy question for the thread starter could have answered themselves. Did your last car have AC? If it did.. did you use it?
I see your point, but most cars automatically come with A/C. I drive an Accord everyday and of course I use the A/C, but the Jeep will be a toy, not a DD. I likely won’t take it out in the rain, or salt, or super hot/humid conditions. Nonetheless, I’ll still get it partly due to some of the excellent responses I’ve received. I wasn’t losing sleep over it, more of just a curiosity.

OP
OP
captainmac44

captainmac44

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport
Or buy something more affordable, like a RAV-4, CR-V. Better yet, he could go back and find a used YJ because it’s likely the AC won’t even work in one of those, if it came with it, and they didn’t have power windows or locks. He would even save money because the YJ didn’t have a CD player, so no uConnect issues either.
I had a TJ and an XJ and loved them both. Can’t wait to get in a JL.

DeadHead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 1996 ZJ Limited, 2002 Dodge Ram2500
Occupation
Marine construction

I thought it was a weird set up too until my friend with small kids bought 4 door. Him and the wife can have the doors off and the kids are relatively contained. And he still has control of the windows if needed.
Sponsored