First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Anyone out there running without A/C? Have it but never use it? I'm ordering soon and wondering if the $1300 is going to be a waste. If it's hot, I'm going to have the top off/down. Give me some scenarios where A/C is a must. Thanks!
One thing to consider... Everyone is saying get AC which probably means it's hard to find a jeep without AC. While you may not care about it, auto parts stores may not stock a belt for a non-AC jeep should you ever break one, or need to replace one. You could end up stuck somewhere. Something to consider. I guess you could order one and keep it in the jeep just in case.
Sponsored

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car Dealer: “Well this model here, A/C is an option if you would want to save even more and stay in that price range we discussed.

Car Buyer: “Ohhhh, I couldn’t possibly fathom not having the air conditioned for me. It simply is a must.”

Jeep Dealer: “All right, let’s get started on the build sheet. You tell me where want to make some changes. Ok, so A/C is...”

Jeep Buyer interrupts: “Give me one damn good reason why I need A/C. The roof will only be on for 3 months out of the year.”

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
When it’s 95 degrees and the top is down and you’re in a construction zone and going through the cattle shoots and there’s and accident and all traffic is stopped for hours and you’re next to a long-nose Peterbuilt.

AND it wouldn’t matter if you put the top up because you’re vinyl is at home and you’re also at the most-bestest spot next to that Pete where you get all that lovely heat from that Diesel engine in them cattle shoots.

Whew. Is it hot in here?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Anyone out there running without A/C? Have it but never use it? I'm ordering soon and wondering if the $1300 is going to be a waste. If it's hot, I'm going to have the top off/down. Give me some scenarios where A/C is a must. Thanks!
i use my a/c all year. top on top off doors off or on. on all the time.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Every day is right.
Summertime, even when you're out on the trail with the top down, I have it cranked and blowing cold air on me. 115°F and up

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
A lady friend of mine last summer turned me on to driving around with the top and doors off, but the AC blasting. When she first set it to that I thought she was being ridiculous but a nice cool breeze coming from the dash on a hot day is not a bad thing. Add in a spiderweb shade and at slow speeds or stop lights the cool air stays in place fairly well.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Yep, I'm going for a 2-door Willys Sport. No A/C or power windows/locks. It won't be my daily.
Use my A/C all the time. Convertible top down or top off is fine in Spring andFall, and great on Summer evenings. In mid summer, when the temps are upper 90’s and humidity matches that no top is a genuine PIA, esp if you get stuck in traffic. Been there, done that, rode motorcycles for 4+ decades, fooled with Scouts and Jeeps for decades. Hot and miserable just isn’t fun IMHO. In addition, as others have said I’d think resale would take areal hit. Get what you want but Think hard first.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't the air conditioner compressor also dry out the air? So, if you have heavy breathing in the vehicle, like in that scene from Titanic,
A/C can help ensure your windows are clearer.
Yes, moisture and btu's are removed from the air as it passes through the systems evaporator. Theres a drip tray and a drain tube around the evaporator, which is why there's always a growing puddle of water under a vehicle running the ac. The path to a lower temperature environment begins with removing the moisture content of the air.

Conversely, higher quality high efficiency heating systems actually incorporate the injection of very fine water vapor into the airstream. Higher humidity increases ones heat sensation.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Most of the time I didn't use it in favor of retracting my softtop, but on those brutal 90degree + days, it would feel like sticking my face in the oven. On those days, it was a glorious return to AC.

And on the highway.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Dc area, the swamp. I use AC even with the top off in July/August, it’s nice when I come to a stop and I do feel some while driving.
Sponsored