James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I only use it if I'm sitting for more than 10 to 20 minutes mid summer here in FL. Otherwise windows down is just fine.

It's a nice to have and not having it will impact the resell value down the road. I'd get it and use it as required.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing defogs a windshield quicker than conditioned air. The cool feel is just a byproduct from removing the moisture content of the air, as it passes through the systems evaporator.

Even on hot days, I mostly just open the windows. But if I'm freshly showered and in clean clothes, I run it to not feel like I need another shower by the time I get to where I'm going.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I guess it depends where you live but in IL, my AC is keeping inside of Jeep at 72 from Late April to September. We have days over 90 June-August. So yeah, I've never NOT used AC.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Indiana is plenty hot and humid enough in the summer to warrant A/C. I know because I went to college there and now live in NEOhio. I use my A/C all the time in the summer and frequently in the winter to remove fog from the windows.

I would never, ever considering not optioning A/C. And you're going to have a hell of a time selling a Jeep later without it.

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Or I guess i another way to figure this out is if you put a 6 yr old in the back on a 90 degree day, dont turn on the AC while driving for 2 hours and then see how long you can endure "I'm hot, its so hot, I'm hot."

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Yeah, It'll be a toy that I don't plan on selling... but I know that's not a way to think. Good point.
So many people on here are never going to sell their Jeeps. In most cases, I doubt that that sentiment lasts for long.

No A/C, no power windows. Now you just need to opt for the manual to really make it a one-of-a-kind resale. Don't get me wrong, we all want our Jeeps to our liking, but if you are doing it for financial reasons it's a pay me now or pay me later situation.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Give me some scenarios where A/C is a must.
1. When it's too hot to drive with the top and/or windows down.
2. See #1.

It's an underappreciated point. The best time to drop top are those temperate Spring and Autumn days and especially evenings. I've owned enough convertibles to have learned my lesson about the heat of a summer day. Not for nothing are sunshades/bikini tops a popular Wrangler accessory.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
We use ours a few days in the summer in Southern California. Especially when driving in the desert areas.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
1. When it's too hot to drive with the top and/or windows down.
2. See #1.

It's an underappreciated point. The best time to drop top are those temperate Spring and Autumn days and especially evenings. I've owned enough convertibles to have learned my lesson about the heat of a summer day. Not for nothing are sunshades/bikini tops a popular Wrangler accessory.
I use Safari mode/doors off way more than I thought I would. All the benefits of open air without the sun beating down on you.

Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Thank you... that was actually going to be my next question! I thought, hmmm... guess I could still put on the A/C with the top off if it gets really hot.
I use mine even with top and doors off to keep family comfortable at stop lights! Sometimes if its unbearably hot out even topless doorless isnt enough to keep cool, the AC comes in handy!

Also, future proof yourself, never know what the future holds, something may come up that leads you to an unexpected move, and suddenly you're in Texas summer baking cookies on your dash while you drive down the road. And also you're dead of heat stroke.

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
i try not to use it because of the jet engine sound coming from the radiator fan. I've had the dealer apply various TSBs mentioned on this site to resolve but they haven't worked.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I use Safari mode/doors off way more than I thought I would. All the benefits of open air without the sun beating down on you.
I'm looking forward to experimenting with that particular configuration when the weather breaks.

Having taken delivery of my new JLU at the very end of a Pennsylvania October day, I've not had the opportunity to do much more than get the Jeep dirty during our recurring rain- and snowfall.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't the air conditioner compressor also dry out the air? So, if you have heavy breathing in the vehicle, like in that scene from Titanic,
A/C can help ensure your windows are clearer.