aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Why are there so many. :)

21 JLUR that will have 35s soon. I have the stock plastic rear bumper. Main purpose is exploring and camping but I’m in AZ so we got rocks to crawl too.

Want a rear bumper with tire carrier. I guess I could do a separate bumper and carrier as well.

Much thanks.

8B69EA83-F628-4B03-9422-7207D5C9B4C9.jpeg
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Ordered this Smittybilt XRC Gen1, should be shipped this week. Basic design w/ 2 recovery points, Class 3 Hitch Receiver, and improved approach angles. Made from 3/16" plate so it should hold up well and about 100 lbs.
@Northridge4x4 had them for $269 a while back so it was a nice deal too!
You can always get a relocation bracket for your spare when the 35s show up :)
https://www.smittybilt.com/JL_JT_XRC_GEN1

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect

RobTeazy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Volvo XC40, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I always liked the AEV Rear bumper, but its finally available and must be made out of solid gold for its cost.

I have now been looking at this bumper/carrier from Expedition One:
https://www.expeditiononestore.com/Jeep-JL-Core-Series-2-Tire-Carrier-Rear-Bumper-System_p_436.html

Eventually I will want something, but Jeep upgrades have slowed down over the past year.
That Expedition One is what I ordered... In September... I'm still waiting for it.
I have heard that they make great products, but be prepared to wait a long time. At this point, my entire Jeep was built far quicker than this bumper.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aham23

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
$2k for a rear bumper and tire carrier set up is so much money. well seems like so much money. lol.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@aham23 i picked up a body armor rear bumper with the tire carrier. i've been looking around for a plain and simple bumper at a reasonable price with a couple of required things that i was looking for. and this is what i got.

this bumper checked off all of my boxes which were.
-steel material
- wrapped around the rear quarter panel
- mounting point for the shackles
- tire carrier.

what i like about this bumper was that you could do the bumper only and later one add the tire carrier. this bumper has cut outs for the led lights, but has the plate to use if you wish not to run them. i wasnt looking for that and was going to use the plate. however i'm thinking of using my pillar light to fill that spot and pick up something else for the a pillar. the other thing it has is the sensor holes. again it comes with plugs if you dont have the sensors. that i will be using. it will accept the factory hitch or you can and one your self. relocation bracket as well as the license plate bracket. lights included.

the tire carrier will be a one operation setup. meaning its linked to your tailgate, so theres no additional step needed in order to access the rear cargo area. it does include the brake light relocation bracket. my plans is to run 33s and not larger for tires. eventho the tailgate can support the weight, i rather not usethe tailgate mount for the spare. i'm thinking ahead on long term use, since i'll be keeping the jeep for a long time.

as for the cons. i would of like the wrap around part meet up to the rear fender flare a little better. it needed maybe 2 more inches imho. the other thing it would nice if it was a little lighter. 93# for the bumper and 100# for the carrier. total will be 200#. to be honest, i think the bumper is a little lighter. i'm not worried about that since i'm looking to get the arb winch bumper for the front. so it'll even out the weight. yeah i would of looked into a lighter setup. i just havent found anything to my liking.

i picked up mine from quadratec on sale for $915. that price was for the bumper, tire carrier and q-tec hitch. so for the price, i am very happy since i'm keeping my jl build on a budget. i'm also satified with the quality of the bumper. i havent installed it yet (soon) but, i've read up on the reviews and install. it looks to be a straight forward install.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I always liked the AEV Rear bumper, but its finally available and must be made out of solid gold for its cost.

I have now been looking at this bumper/carrier from Expedition One:
https://www.expeditiononestore.com/Jeep-JL-Core-Series-2-Tire-Carrier-Rear-Bumper-System_p_436.html

Eventually I will want something, but Jeep upgrades have slowed down over the past year.
the aev one is nice. but overpriced. i was looking into the exo-one front and rear bumper. nice bumpers. the thing was that i called them to clarify a few things and wasnt happy with their customer service. i knew more then they did. the other reasons was the rear bumper comes with the rear sensor holes which you cant opt out according to them. i said to them that i dont have the sensors. the answer i got was guess your going to have to deal with the holes.

on the front bumper i asked if there were light tabs on the bull bar. answer was, no. if you want to run lights one them, you will need to get mounts for them. so i wasnt happy with that. plus some other responses.

i also did not like all the separate charges and the long wait. plus the upfront payment. imho, i was not inpress with them and the prices for their products.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
@aham23 i picked up a body armor rear bumper with the tire carrier. i've been looking around for a plain and simple bumper at a reasonable price with a couple of required things that i was looking for. and this is what i got.

this bumper checked off all of my boxes which were.
-steel material
- wrapped around the rear quarter panel
- mounting point for the shackles
- tire carrier.

what i like about this bumper was that you could do the bumper only and later one add the tire carrier. this bumper has cut outs for the led lights, but has the plate to use if you wish not to run them. i wasnt looking for that and was going to use the plate. however i'm thinking of using my pillar light to fill that spot and pick up something else for the a pillar. the other thing it has is the sensor holes. again it comes with plugs if you dont have the sensors. that i will be using. it will accept the factory hitch or you can and one your self. relocation bracket as well as the license plate bracket. lights included.

the tire carrier will be a one operation setup. meaning its linked to your tailgate, so theres no additional step needed in order to access the rear cargo area. it does include the brake light relocation bracket. my plans is to run 33s and not larger for tires. eventho the tailgate can support the weight, i rather not usethe tailgate mount for the spare. i'm thinking ahead on long term use, since i'll be keeping the jeep for a long time.

as for the cons. i would of like the wrap around part meet up to the rear fender flare a little better. it needed maybe 2 more inches imho. the other thing it would nice if it was a little lighter. 93# for the bumper and 100# for the carrier. total will be 200#. to be honest, i think the bumper is a little lighter. i'm not worried about that since i'm looking to get the arb winch bumper for the front. so it'll even out the weight. yeah i would of looked into a lighter setup. i just havent found anything to my liking.

i picked up mine from quadratec on sale for $915. that price was for the bumper, tire carrier and q-tec hitch. so for the price, i am very happy since i'm keeping my jl build on a budget. i'm also satified with the quality of the bumper. i havent installed it yet (soon) but, i've read up on the reviews and install. it looks to be a straight forward install.
I'll have to keep this one in mind. I know the day I get a bumper, I want the tire mounted to it (and maybe future accessories), and I want a "one pull operation", so that is nice that this bumper has it. My old TJ had a separate latch for the tire, then you could access the tailgate, it got old fast.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I'll have to keep this one in mind. I know the day I get a bumper, I want the tire mounted to it (and maybe future accessories), and I want a "one pull operation", so that is nice that this bumper has it. My old TJ had a separate latch for the tire, then you could access the tailgate, it got old fast.
yeah my bother had a screw type set up on his tj. it can be a pain if you are in / out of the rear cargo frequently. that was one thing i was looking at for my jl. wanted something easy and a clean look. keep in mind that body armor does not offer additional mounts for add ons. (as far as i know) but i would still look at the bumper and see if you can add on optional mounts for accessories.

Chotaling

First Name
Cheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited
Just finished installing the Westin Wj2 Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier. Very straightforward if you use the install video on ExtremeTerrain - written instructions a bit lacking. Install very straight forward....only issue was length of wiring for backup camera. Needed a couple of extra inches due to the added length of the tire carrier part. After searching this forum, bought extension cable from Pasternack - fit perfectly just pricey ($40 cable + $20 shipping). Other option was to get an aftermarket replacement wire and cut the grommet that inserts into the tail gate, but since we already had everything fully installed, took the easy way out. Love the look of it and it came with everything - lighted license plate relocation bracket, rear camera and 3rd brake light relocation. Have ordered cube lights but still waiting on those.

IMG_1349[1].JPG

Kirkpatrick618

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
Military / Retired / Contractor
Have you looked at Ironman? They are an Australian company that makes pretty cool stuff. They have a whole kit that includes the bumper pictured and reinforced brackets and relocation mounts so you can hang a 37. (I have only installed the bumper so far as I am running 33s). They also have a 20 percent off coupon right now. “Thanks20”
https://ironman4x4america.com/raid-rear-bumper-kit-suited-for-jeep-wrangler-jl/

02E47E85-87A9-498A-A480-C9719106AD5E.jpeg

CD02C64F-BF4C-47B6-841C-3A11FC8AA2AA.jpeg

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I went with Rusty’s tore carrier. To me it’s not $800 it’s $200 more than the factory version but MUCH better.

I also went with Rock Hard 4x4 bumper in aluminum. I wanted to save some weight and it relocates to license plate so it is better protected as well as the towing electrical connector. The hitch receiver is still low but those dont usually tear offbif you scrape them like the tow plug will. Im hoping the bumper is string enough to not bend and flex into the tub when it kisses a ledge like the factory steel one does.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
x2 for what @cosine has: Body Armor 4x4 Rear Full width Bumper and Single Action Tire carrier. I have it, installed it. It wraps the rear quarter panel, is solid, doesn't stick out too far, can be used as a step for access to the rear, and does not rattle when properly adjusted. I still have some fine tuning to do but I've had my 37's on it (98lb tire/wheel- milestar Pats w/ 17x9 Vision Nemesis) and no change. It's also nice that it retains the stock back up camera location. I think I snagged mine from my buddies at Explore Overland for just under $900. Pics and details in my build thread. I'll have a full write up.. eventually. There isn't a ton of info on this set up, and that's a shame because it's a great value for the price.

From my build thread:
Pics only, but the posts have the details of the process I went through installing/ adjusting it.
Sponsored