DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I change my own oil using the manual recommended Pennzoil 0W30. I also keep a log book of any maintenance and receipts.

The reason I use the exact recommended oil is because a buddy with an ‘18 Rubicon had engine issues that chewed up the camshafts and since he couldn’t prove what oil he used (he worked at a shop and got the oil for free) they denied warranty.

Not only that, but the dealer did a “gamble repair” costing him $2,800 and it only lasted 4k miles. As it sits now it doesn’t even run.
You mean 0w20? The manual recommends 0w20.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
How does Kirklands oils compare to major brands??

It is a very good oil, in my opinion. It is a group III base synthetic, blended by Warren Distribution. They make Walmart Supertech in some parts of the country and Mag 1, among others. I've seen good UOAs from it on BITOG forums.

I wouldn't quite put it up with Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, or Shell RGT, but it isn't far off, either. It is a great value and your Pentastar probably won't know the difference if you go by the oil life monitor. Run it with confidence. Hard to beat 23 bucks for 12 quarts.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I sold industrial oils for years, and have pretty extensive training. Couple things i can tell you with confidence.

About any manufacturers best oil is going to be superior to another manufacturer’s lower grade. I wouldn't get hung up on brand name unless all they make are premium products.

Oil change intervals are based on the lowest denominator. That is, the OEM has to assume that you will use the poorest grade possible and set their change intervals accordingly.

There may be significant difference in base oil quality and resultant performance. Remember that natural (non synthetic) base oils are a natural product. Some base oils are excellent. Some are extremely poor. All are used.

The poor base oils are used in the lowest priced (quality) oils. When you go to a quick lube type place, assume that they use the cheapest oils, because they do in their budget oil changes, their standard ones. I have seen engines horribly sludged up using poor oil

There can be massive difference in (a) base oils, and (b) additive packages. Think of it this way.....take the empty oil container when it’s new. Everything you put into the can adds to the cost

If I put in a cheap natural base, I put maybe $1 into the can. If i put in synthetic, i put $3 into the can. If i put an additive in I may add $2. If I leave it out, I reduce my cost $2

Recommended weight ranges are determined by engine design and CAFE standards. Variation from manufacturers recommendations are at your own peril. There are various weight ranges for a reason. Generally very valid reasons.

Additive packages and base oil quality make a HUGE difference in performance. The more severe your operating condition and the longer your change interval, the more importance these factors become