Sponsored

Which JL engine are you most interested in?

• Total voters

orey22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Jeep Wrangler 2dr / 2019 JL 2dr
Depends on which of the 3 has a manual transmission, and mpg's count. If the Diesel get's 30 plus on the highway, which I drive daily, that's huge compared to the Pentastar that may be 22-23mpg and the 4 Cyl who knows. I guess that's why Jeeps going with 3 choices, as we all want different aspects.
Sponsored

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
Depends on which of the 3 has a manual transmission, and mpg's count. If the Diesel get's 30 plus on the highway, which I drive daily, that's huge compared to the Pentastar that may be 22-23mpg and the 4 Cyl who knows. I guess that's why Jeeps going with 3 choices, as we all want different aspects.
If it's any indication, the turbo 4 cyl 2.0L in the Alfa Giulia gets 33 MPG highway (24 city). That engine's got 280hp / 300 lb-ft but it's also pulling a lighter car than the Wrangler.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I give Jeep a lot of credit offering 3 engine choices in this day and age but a big question for me is whether all 3 will be available on all trims and different packages. I'd probably go with the regular Sport to save on the added cost of the diesel IF they even offer that pairing.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Based upon previous ownership of Jeep diesels in the U.S., what I've seen in the automotive world with other light duty diesels in the U.S., and what little I know about auto engineering, here's what I think we'll see regarding the Jeep Wrangler CRD in the U.S. market:

-Won't be available at launch
-Might still never be offered at all, because the Wrangler has a very low towing capacity and it would be like mixing oil and water in the minds of shoppers
-Will cost at least $4,000 premium for the upgrade
-Will be offered with an automatic transmission ONLY
-Will add weight to the nose of the vehicle, necessitating different coils
-Will only be available in upper trim levels, making it financially out of reach of most buyers
-Will be rated for roughly 24 MPGs on the combined EPA cycle, making the Hurricane a much better option financially speaking
-Parts and service will be considerably more expensive for repairs
-Very few dealers will stock them

Sponsored

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
A $4000 upgrade will absolutely be a deal killer for most people and exactly why they should offer it on the base trim IMO. I'm going to assume the premium is mostly profit for FCA and they will want to sell as many diesels as possible.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
ThThat leaves me with the V6 Pentastar.
Which unfortunately isn't a great option either, since the Pentastar only makes around 260 lbs/ft of PEAK torque, and at low RPMs makes about the same torque as the 20 year old 3.8L V6 "minivan engine" that it replaced.

Jeep really needs a high torque at low RPM option that's economical, and that's where the Hurricane comes into the picture...but they will have to tune it properly to make it work.

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
Jeep really needs a high torque at low RPM option that's economical, and that's where the Hurricane comes into the picture...but they will have to tune it properly to make it work.
+1 and I'm sure for the Wrangler application they'll tune it for as much low end torque as possible.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Based upon previous ownership of Jeep diesels in the U.S., what I've seen in the automotive world with other light duty diesels in the U.S., and what little I know about auto engineering, here's what I think we'll see regarding the Jeep Wrangler CRD in the U.S. market:

-Won't be available at launch
-Might still never be offered at all, because the Wrangler has a very low towing capacity and it would be like mixing oil and water in the minds of shoppers
-Will cost at least $4,000 premium for the upgrade
-Will be offered with an automatic transmission ONLY
-Will add weight to the nose of the vehicle, necessitating different coils
-Will only be available in upper trim levels, making it financially out of reach of most buyers
-Will be rated for roughly 24 MPGs on the combined EPA cycle, making the Hurricane a much better option financially speaking
-Parts and service will be considerably more expensive for repairs
-Very few dealers will stock them
Well we know #1 is true. It was suppose to be 2019, but thats now looking like 2020. I also agree with you on pretty much everything except for your last point, and the 24 MPG. I'm pretty sure dealers will have fully optioned Rubicons with the diesel on the lot as there are a lot of buyer that want those. Also I do think that 24 MPG combined it pretty realistic, but I don't think the 4cly will get close to that as the TQ #s while better then the V6 Penstar will not be the same as the diesel and will have to work harder to move the rig.

Unlike a lot of people I didn't buy my current JKU as a rock crawler. I bought it as an Overland vehicle, and the Diesel would make it a much better vehicle for my needs as it would over substantially more range, more torque for towing trailers and better fuel economy.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Come ON FCA!!! Bring the diesel at launch!

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Patriot
I understand that the manual is only going to be available with the Pentastar, so that puts it in front for me. I can upgrade to an Atlas transfer case and be gear driven end to end.

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
Was just on the Jeep website and they pulled the EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee! :( Hopefully this just means it's gone away for the 2017 models but will return in 2018 for the JL Wrangler... I hope!

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
It's still listed for the Ram 1500.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Was just on the Jeep website and they pulled the EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee! :( Hopefully this just means it's gone away for the 2017 models but will return in 2018 for the JL Wrangler... I hope!
They could have pulled the EcoDiesel away from the Hrand Cherokee, if they correctly expect demand for the Eco-deisel wrangler to outpace supply, and they need to start hoarding them now to meet expected demand in November ?
Sponsored