Sponsored

Which JL engine are you most interested in?

• Total voters

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Assuming we see a 3 engine line up with the Hurricane, updated Pentastar and the diesel, what are we all thinking will be the base engine (Pentastar I would think?) and how much price difference between them?
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
If the 4cly turbo is 300hp stock .... with a simple reflash you should easily see it between 325-350.

For example on a 2.0L VW Golf R motor .... a reflash will take it from 294HP to 357HP. Factory Turbocharged cars are always leaving power on the table and by far the best bang for the $.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming we see a 3 engine line up with the Hurricane, updated Pentastar and the diesel, what are we all thinking will be the base engine (Pentastar I would think?) and how much price difference between them?
I would assume the V6 as well. My guess is still has less HP then the 4cly and since they have been making them since 2012 its economy of scale willl keep the price down.

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
If the 4cly turbo is 300hp stock .... with a simple reflash you should easily see it between 325-350.

For example on a 2.0L VW Golf R motor .... a reflash will take it from 294HP to 357HP. Factory Turbocharged cars are always leaving power on the table and by far the best bang for the $.
Yea should be able to flash ECU (or piggyback plugin module) that ups HP another 25-50 easily without putting any more stress on the engine. How much more the engine can take reliaby depends on engine block construction.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
SHAQ DIESEL !

FCA ! Call up Shaquille O'Neal (aka Shaq Diesel) to promote the new wrangler on TNT/NBA with the new DIESEL engine when it's ready.

Sponsored

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
@Milous - can you clarify what the least expensive model will be? For example rumors suggest standard engine is the pentastar, so does that mean that the 4cyl turbo will be an upgrade and cost more? Also JT pickup has there been any confirmation as to 2dr or 4dr or both? Im very up to date on the JL , but a little behind on the pickup. Thanks

4X4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door Sport S 4X4, 1956 Jeep CJ5
@Milous - can you clarify what the least expensive model will be? For example rumors suggest standard engine is the pentastar, so does that mean that the 4cyl turbo will be an upgrade and cost more? Also JT pickup has there been any confirmation as to 2dr or 4dr or both? Im very up to date on the JL , but a little behind on the pickup. Thanks
truck will at least be a 4 door however i dont know if there will also be a 2 door truck or not i dont know anything about the standard engine

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
4X4, are you Milous? I'm looking at you like this...

Jeep Wrangler JL Which JL engine are you most interested in? {filename}

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Before I'd look at the diesel, I'd want to feel very confident in its reliability. The Pentastar is proven, and it is a great design, as-is. I'd love to se a 20hp or so update. Combined with lighter weight of the JL, you could have really nice power from a very reliable engine. Unless the diesel or the turbo 4 really wows me, I'll go with the proven and powerful option. I get my Jeeps way off the beaten path, so I don't want to experiment with something unproven.

Pete01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
The 3.6 Penta for me.
The CRD while great I have no need for it as I don't have anything large to pull behind me.
Plus the 5-10K premium on the CRD, more frequent servicing intervals and fuel being more expensive for the CRD than petrol here, it really does not make sense for me. I would never recover the initial outlay of the purchase price. That could buy me a great deal of fuel or AEV gear for the new rig.

Sponsored

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Selling the 3.6 Pentastar as a more expensive option is not going to fly imo. I'm betting the 4 cyl will cost more due to better torque and mpg and in a few years replace the V6 completely. That seems to be the trend.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Selling the 3.6 Pentastar as a more expensive option is not going to fly imo. I'm betting the 4 cyl will cost more due to better torque and mpg and in a few years replace the V6 completely. That seems to be the trend.
I agree that in the near future we may see Pentax's tar usurped by 4-cyl's
With the two biggest domestic sellers for the wrangler might be:

4-cyl turbo petrol
4-cyl diesel/bluetec

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I voted for Hurricane because:

- Diesel won't be available at launch
- Diesel will have a significant upcharge
- Diesel fuel costs more now
- Hurricane will likely make more torque than Pentastar (which isn't hard to do)
- Hurricane will be tuneable for much larger power gains than Pentastar
- Hurricane will have better MPG ratings than Pentastar

Guys need to get past the fear of four cylinders. This is NOT going to be like the 2.5L in the YJ that barely had enough power to use 3rd gear.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
^ Yep the Hurricane would be my 2nd choice after the diesel. The main reason for the diesel for me is Towing and Range. I want my JT to be a Overland Vehicle and the 800 mile range the Grand Cherokee diesel has would be amazing on the JL/JT, as well as something I can tow some snowmobiles, or RZRs or small camper.

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
I voted for Hurricane because:

- Diesel won't be available at launch
- Diesel will have a significant upcharge
- Diesel fuel costs more now
- Hurricane will likely make more torque than Pentastar (which isn't hard to do)
- Hurricane will be tuneable for much larger power gains than Pentastar
- Hurricane will have better MPG ratings than Pentastar

Guys need to get past the fear of four cylinders. This is NOT going to be like the 2.5L in the YJ that barely had enough power to use 3rd gear.
Hurricane will also be the lowest cost of all the engine options if they decide to position the Pentastar above it. Which would make it an amazing value if it gets around the projected 300 HP.

I've been very happy with the 4 cyl turbo in my Dart and wouldn't hesitate to pick another for my JL as long as it's got an appropriate amount of HP/TQ for the car's weight.
Sponsored