Sponsored

Which JL engine are you most interested in?

• Total voters

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Same here. No diesel, No JL for me. And if you tease it along any further, I'm just done. Buzz kill.
Exactly.
It's madness.
A diesel at launch would rock any auto show.
And send diesel stocks up a hair or two.

Put the smallest 4cyl diesel in it right now with lightweight aluminum-body, aero-dynamics kit. See how far you can crank up the MPG, Mopar !
Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
The US market JL will definitely not get the diesel first year launch 2018. It was mentioned that most likely it would slip to 2019. This information came from Milous.

Now, it "may" appear to have slipped yet another model year to 2020. This information DID NOT come from Milous so it may be false. If it ends up to be true, I will abandon Jeep.
i wouldn't be quite as mad if we get the V6 ecodiesel, but have really been hoping for a 4cyl diesel with just enough torque to crawl better in 4wd off road, in comparison to other engines, but also get much better mileage on the highway.

What are the current torque and mileage numbers of the v6 ecodiesel in grand Cherokee & in ram? & what are their respective weights in comparison to what our aluminum-clad JLU might weigh ?

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
i wouldn't be quite as mad if we get the V6 ecodiesel, but have really been hoping for a 4cyl diesel with just enough torque to crawl better in 4wd off road, in comparison to other engines, but also get much better mileage on the highway.
The 4 cylinder diesel FCA uses in Europe are under investigation for emissions test tampering software though (deactivated the emissions control devices after 22 minutes of operation; the typical emissions test monitors emissions output for just 20 minutes - source), so even if Jeep wanted to use that for the Wrangler, they may have run into issues especially with the current crackdown on diesel testing in the US.

I'm just glad to see the VM V6 diesel coming at least.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

What are the current torque and mileage numbers of the v6 ecodiesel in grand Cherokee & in ram? & what are their respective weights in comparison to what our aluminum-clad JLU might weigh ?
As I posted above the Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 Ecodiesel are both 240hp / 420 lb-ft.

The diesel Grand Cherokee gets 21 city / 28 hwy and weighs 4,955 lbs
The diesel Ram 1500 gets 20 city / 28 hwy and weighs 5,132 lbs

Let's say the JLU drops 100 pounds from the JKU, then it'd weigh about 4200-4300 lbs. That's a good 800-900 pounds lighter than the Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500!

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
As I posted above the Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500 Ecodiesel are both 240hp / 420 lb-ft.

Let's say the JLU drops 100 pounds from the JKU, then it'd weigh about 4200-4300 lbs. That's a good 800-900 pounds lighter than the Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500!
800-900 lbs less would be amazing ... but I bet that the VM Diesel weights more then the V6 Penstar so you would gain some of that weight back .... I wonder what the weight difference on the grand cherokee is between the V6 Penstar and the V6 Diesel?

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport

Exactly which would mean the V6 would overpower the wrangler JL/JLU. Give us the 4cyl diesel, FCA !

Shawn Ash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
800-900 lbs less would be amazing ... but I bet that the VM Diesel weights more then the V6 Penstar so you would gain some of that weight back .... I wonder what the weight difference on the grand cherokee is between the V6 Penstar and the V6 Diesel?
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT.png

Looks like it's about 400 lbs in each trim. HUGE difference so we're probably looking at most about 400 lbs lighter than the Ram 1500. I'd bet the JL is no lighter than the JK with what's sure to be a more complex roof structure and some more interior comfort features.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT.png

Looks like it's about 400 lbs in each trim. HUGE difference so we're probably looking at most about 400 lbs lighter than the Ram 1500. I'd bet the JL is no lighter than the JK with what's sure to be a more complex roof structure and some more interior comfort features.
I bet your right .... but still 400lbs should be enough to see a bit of MPG gain, although the Wrangler aero could make that even.

Sponsored

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

There's a 2.2L 4-cylinder Multijet II diesel offered in the European Jeep Cherokee, Alfa Romeo Giulia and Alfa Romeo Stelvio.

It produces 197hp / 320 lb-ft in the Cherokee and 180hp / 332 lb-ft in the Giulia.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
^What kind of mileage does that get in the euro Cherokee ?

And what kind of range can we expect with the expected fuel tank size in the JLU ? Better mileage also means greater range for long excursions.

I could see this new 4-cyl ecoWrangler with a large portion of internal and external components made from recycled materials, really appealing to the younger granola&ganja demographic (of which there are more and more of, every day), as well as greatly appealing to sensible consumers who want the durability of a diesel, and the fuel economy of much smaller car.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Patriot
These issues with emissions regulations make the diesel a non-starter for me. The Hurricane seems interesting, backed by the eight-speed auto should give good driveability. Interested to know about the rest of the drivetrain. Will there be a new transfer case and/or axles?

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
These issues with emissions regulations make the diesel a non-starter for me. The Hurricane seems interesting, backed by the eight-speed auto should give good driveability. Interested to know about the rest of the drivetrain. Will there be a new transfer case and/or axles?
Haven't read anything about transfer case but the axles I believe will be largely a carry over. The hurricane turbo 4 is going to be a surprise hit I think. I know Jeep and truck guys aren't used to smaller displacement engines but I think once they get past the wimpy image they'll realize today's turbo 4 engines can be a sweet spot in terms of price, performance, MPG, and versatility.

MDWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, Dodge Journey, Toyota Corolla
Count me in as one of the guys looking forward to the Hurricane motor. Besides living in FL now and being able to say I run on a hurricane, I will use my Jeep as a DD and the extra fuel economy will be welcome. The thing with the diesel is that urea system is really annoying and another step I just don't want to worry about, the Feds have really neutered any advantages Diesel had for normal use vehicles.
Sponsored