Sponsored

Which hard top removal device would you recommend?

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 42DDFCF1-EDD0-4521-9D4F-ACA3D3A745E2
Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 09F5E153-D08C-4CFB-93FD-14F45B51E0CA
Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 2616BF82-95AE-410D-BC7C-10EA725DBF78

Harken Hoist installed! I have a roomy unfinished garage with a 4 foot deep shelf that hangs down along the rear and side of my garage.

The hoist was straight forward to install, though all the work over my head tired out my shoulders. The toughest part for me was knotting the ropes. I was never a Boy Scout and knots are not my thing. Thankfully my neighbor helped out.

I will shorten up the straps a bit to level out the top, and I will move the four pulleys forward an inch or so, this will allow the rear window to miss the angle iron that holds the shelf up.

The hoist itself easily lifts the top and the locking mechanism is simple and strong.

if you have the space it is a really solid solution.
Sponsored

2020 Rubi Diesel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
I’m doing this exact setup
I just did mine on Saturday based off his video. I used a bigger hoist from HF. I haven't done the back up safety wire. My top wanted to spin once it was in the air and trying to stop it from doing so was frustrating.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I just did mine on Saturday based off his video. I used a bigger hoist from HF. I haven't done the back up safety wire. My top wanted to spin once it was in the air and trying to stop it from doing so was frustrating.
How much was the power hoist?

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I use a cherry picker if friends arent around to help.

Sponsored

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
I had a ceiling mounted hoist for my TJ.

I have a Lange Hoist-A-Cart Gen 2 for my JL.

Really, it depends on what your needs are.

I had a deep shop area in my garage when I had my TJ, so the hoist worked very well. I didn't opt for the motorized version, as the hand crank was easy enough and cheaper.

Now, my second garage is 20'x30' and kind of short. I didn't want a suspended hard top to hog up a bunch of space. It has a concrete floor, so a cart works well. I chose the Lange because it was cheaper than the Top Lift Pro. Vertical clearance was a concern with the Lange, but it just fit under my short ceiling. As a bonus, the Lange cart has attachments to hang the doors on. Now, once the cart is loaded I can move it around the garage to get it out of my way.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I thought I found a top lift locally for under $500 and was going to snap it up, unfortunately someone beat me to it

Andrew2311

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am trying to decide which hard top removal device to get. I realize the portable carts are more expensive than the overhead hoists, but I am more interested in any problems with each type. I would like to know from people who actually use them how they feel about the following:
1. Overhead mounted manual hoist in the garage.
2. Overhead mounted motorized hoist in the garage.
3. Portable carts such as TopLift Pro or RollnJack.
I love my Freedom jack. It is small (mounts on a standard engine lift) and I roll it around my shop even with the top on it. The biggest advantage that I see, is that I don't have to back under it like a OH lift. I just open the doors and the back window and roll it right in, remove the screws and lift it off, and push it to where ever I want to store it. Top is on the lift in the upper Left of the pic.

20190624_133833.jpg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Toplift pro is worth every penny. Sometimes I take it off just for a joy ride and then get the top back on. Less than 5 minutes. I spent the longest just getting the electrical wrench out of the garage and moving the top around the house.

Of course easy for me to say it is worth every penny, since I pay $350 for it on craigslist.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Toplift pro is worth every penny. Sometimes I take it off just for a joy ride and then get the top back on. Less than 5 minutes. I spent the longest just getting the electrical wrench out of the garage and moving the top around the house.

Of course easy for me to say it is worth every penny, since I pay $350 for it on craigslist.
I thought I was going to get 1 at $450, but at the end of the day I need the floor space. If I had a bigger garage I think I would have done it

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 20190624_133833
Jeep Wrangler JL Which hard top removal device would you recommend? 20190624_133833

Harken Hoist installed! I have a roomy unfinished garage with a 4 foot deep shelf that hangs down along the rear and side of my garage.

The hoist was straight forward to install, though all the work over my head tired out my shoulders. The toughest part for me was knotting the ropes. I was never a Boy Scout and knots are not my thing. Thankfully my neighbor helped out.

I will shorten up the straps a bit to level out the top, and I will move the four pulleys forward an inch or so, this will allow the rear window to miss the angle iron that holds the shelf up.

The hoist itself easily lifts the top and the locking mechanism is simple and strong.

if you have the space it is a really solid solution.
Made some adjustments today, moved the 4 pulleys forward and the rear glass now clears my over head shelves. l also adjusted the straps so the top is level when lifted. Lastly I will shorten the knots a bit, need to hoist it a touch higher so I can back all the way under it.

side note, sure is tough to disconnect the power to the hard top, not sure what I am doing wrong.

2020 Rubi Diesel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
I didn't know that backing under an overhead top would be difficult to some. 🤷‍♂️

I prefer the extra floor space that my OH top provides.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
I have a Lange Original Power Hoist. Only $450, no brainer in my book. Hangs from the ceiling up out of the way. Someone to guide you in helps with alignment but can easily do by yourself, maybe it takes a few extra minutes to get it lined up. But I take it off in the spring and put it back on in the fall.

If you have the ceiling space in your garage (I have much more ceiling space than floor space), you can't go wrong. I highly recommend!!
Sponsored