Sponsored

Frequent removal & installation of hard top?

noquartergiven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
I live in NJ and with the nicer weather have been removing then reinstalling the hardtop at least once a week. Can this wear down the screw threads/mounts on the body? Just wondering.
Sponsored

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
I'm in south Louisiana and we get a lot of afternoon showers in the summer, so I'm like you. Off & on again several times a week.
I only screwing in using the front and back screws. I've never used the middle one.
I honestly don't think we have anything to worry about regarding the screws. As long as you're not fastening them down super tight.

I've been trying to think of/create some sort of 1/4 turn fastening unit for the hard top. It would speed things up and no threads to mess up.. 🤷‍♂️

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I would be less worried about bolts/ screw threads (as long as you're not cross threading) and more concerned with the seals. Even then, as long as you're careful I don't think it would be a huge issue.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I would be less worried about bolts/ screw threads (as long as you're not cross threading) and more concerned with the seals. Even then, as long as you're careful I don't think it would be a huge issue.
This-watch the seals, if they get damaged you’ll get leaks/wind noise. Otherwise just take it easy with the mounting screws and you’ll be fine.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
It will be fine. I have my top on and off a number of times and simply make sure I install the bolts torqued to spec outlined in the manual. I have the spec in the garage but off of memory I think the two bolts on top are 119 in/lbs and the 6 bolts inside rear are 154 in/lbs. No squeaks or rattles.

OP
OP
noquartergiven

noquartergiven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S
It will be fine. I have my top on and off a number of times and simply make sure I install the bolts torqued to spec outlined in the manual. I have the spec in the garage but off of memory I think the two bolts on top are 119 in/lbs and the 6 bolts inside rear are 154 in/lbs. No squeaks or rattles.
Cool, I picked up a torque wrench to keep the bolts in spec.

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
I would be more worried about cracking the top when torquing the bolts than anything else.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
I would be more worried about cracking the top when torquing the bolts than anything else.
Torqued properly and equally within spec is the best way to ensure no cracking from over tightening or vibration/looseness from under tightening.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
My first '21 Jeep was hardtop only. I sold it after 2 months and ordered a '22 with dual tops. I will never own another Wrangler without a soft top.
Sponsored