Sponsored

Which Engine to order for my Sahara 2.0L i4 turbo v 3.6L V6

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
No because it's mine. As I previously stated: I believe any opinion not mine, even if the same as mine, is wrong. Mine can be the only correct one, because it's mine. However, if I was to steal your opinion and claim it as my own it would then become mine and be correct, even though it was wrong and you would be left with a clone of the original that would be now yours and therefore, wrong.
b01cfc3148f48f37b5aef739fb36ac58_w200.gif

are-you-ok-paul-rudd.gif
Sponsored

alphawolff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
How long are you planning to keep the Jeep? If a long time, go with the 3.6.
This. The 2.0L has proven to be relatively reliable across the fleet, but the engine inherentily has additional failure points compared to the 3.6L. The 2.0L is also rather annoying to work on and will see much higher labor costs when it does end up needing service.

I'd personally suggest a normal 3.6L if the 392 isn't in your price range. Delete the aux battery and disable start/stop and you're golden.

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey

JLfromCA

First Name
JL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! 2 Door Rubicon/2024 Sarge Green 392
So far there havent been any massive issues like rocker failure on the v6 for us 2.0l owners to need a thread to commiserate that some of them make it more than others.
This is your response to what’s the highest mileage trouble free 2.0 ?

Sponsored

Bandit59

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Hello - I am getting ready to place an order for a new 4 door Wrangler Sahara. My question is which of the 2 engines that they offer would be better for me. For some context, this Jeep will more than likely never be off road, I live in the north East daily driver around town and Highway driving. The 3.6l V6 is $2000 more. I would love to hear opinions on what you think would be best for my type of driving

Thanks
I have a 3.6 very happy so far. The 2.0 is a louder engine but with turbo is very good also. Everybody will tell you something different on this subject. If you r used to a v6 I say stay with jt

rcc1123

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Hello - I am getting ready to place an order for a new 4 door Wrangler Sahara. My question is which of the 2 engines that they offer would be better for me. For some context, this Jeep will more than likely never be off road, I live in the north East daily driver around town and Highway driving. The 3.6l V6 is $2000 more. I would love to hear opinions on what you think would be best for my type of driving

Thanks
As a 2019 Sahara 2.0L owner I would not imagine having any other engine. The acceleration is great and my gas milage is much better than my friends 3.6 (although that is always a subjective measurement). Really do enjoy the 2.0.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
The 2.0L has proven to be relatively reliable across the fleet, but the engine inherentily has additional failure points compared to the 3.6L.
This is the mic drop on the difference in reliability between the 3.6l and 2.0l. We can argue all day back and forth about which one, so far, has been more reliable, and which one has a stronger history...but in the end, the 2.0 has more stuff and more stuff means more stuff to fail. Will it fail? Dunno. Doesn't matter...if you're a smart betting man you're betting on the engine with less stuff to fail.

Now you can certainly say "well i'm confident in my gambling abilities so i'm taking the 2.0" and you may very well win. Doesn't change the fact that more stuff equals more stuff to fail.

Jeep Wick

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
Occupation
Mechanic

Thanks
Buy a couple years old, get one off lease, and save $12k or more. Get whichever engine you want, I personally like the 3.6. The Carfax will tell you if you if it's a good one.
If you really want new, wait a few weeks, dealers are becoming motivated to sell. Find one on the lot, you'll save that $2k easily.

ijp4fun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05LJ 2015 Cherokee 2024 JLURX
This. The 2.0L has proven to be relatively reliable across the fleet, but the engine inherentily has additional failure points compared to the 3.6L. The 2.0L is also rather annoying to work on and will see much higher labor costs when it does end up needing service.

I'd personally suggest a normal 3.6L if the 392 isn't in your price range. Delete the aux battery and disable start/stop and you're golden.
Slightly off subject here, but does your dealership have any issue with customers deleting the aux battery and disabling start/stop when doing warranty work?

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

IMO…. Go for more 3.6 > 2.0… the 2.0 is on steroids. Long term what do you think?

alphawolff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Slightly off subject here, but does your dealership have any issue with customers deleting the aux battery and disabling start/stop when doing warranty work?
No. Deleting the aux battery doesn't cause any other issues with the vehicle. It's completely seamless.

We all equally hate stop start at my shop. The amount of batteries we have to replace on a daily basis is frankly absurd.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

No. Deleting the aux battery doesn't cause any other issues with the vehicle. It's completely seamless.

We all equally hate stop start at my shop. The amount of batteries we have to replace on a daily basis is frankly absurd.
Even with eTorque I have start/stop disabled with a Tazer. No brainer in my mind.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 2017 WK2, 2018 JLU, 2022 JTOD
It’s not a 4g63 on 36 psi, it’s a 2.0 turbo that’s not making much power and isn’t stressed out as much as you’d think.

For those of you saying the 2.0 has more parts… you must be forgetting that the 3.6 has two more rods, 2 more pistons, more injectors, the list goes on. If I were to buy a new Jeep for myself today, I would choose the 4 cylinder. I only say this as a 3.0 owner, and of course that engine is no longer available.

I’d also like to note to the OP that if you drive less than 15 miles to work everyday, you might even want to look at the 4xE.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Hello - I am getting ready to place an order for a new 4 door Wrangler For some context, this Jeep will more than likely never be off road, I live in the north East daily driver around town and Highway driving. I would love to hear opinions on what you think would be best for my type of driving

Thanks
Rides like a GC (sport mode), high off idle torque for in town driving, effortless freeway cruising at 80-85 mph, instant passing acceleration at all speeds, minimal wander until ~85, no stop-start, no high tech-high boost.
Sahara- T-4 ( $2K V6 NA on B&P) $58.4K as comparably priced as possible, that also doesn’t include the equivalent of a $4K NA XR package for an ~ $64K value comparison. About $10-15K more buys a 21-2 392 Which is also about the purchase price, so little depreciation.
Yes-premium required, a lot in town, not so bad fwy. Numbers not determined, but likely a total 4 year production run of maybe 30K. 🤔
Sponsored

Last edited: