Sponsored

Trade in 3.6L V6 Pentastar for 3.0L 6-Cyl Turbo EcoDiesel ???

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
No brainer since a lot of the standard features of the Farout are not available to be ordered right now, like LED's, Safety and Advanced Safety. I got mine last February and if it weren't so new, I would order one.
Sponsored

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
I traded my 20 3.6 (auto, non etorque) for a 22 diesel. The diesel is absolutely amazing and a beast of an engine for the JL. I enjoy it for the cruising aspect, no more downshifting on slight inclines on the highway and good gas mileage.

I would not hesitate to drive this engine on every family road trip. I would not have said that with the 3.6.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Ok. I personally love dieselā€™s. Iā€™ve got a 3.0 n my Ram 1500 and it has been a great, trouble free vehicle for 6 years now. Iā€™d have one in the Jeep IF they put it in a 2 dr (you know, ā€œrealā€ JeepsšŸ˜³). Anyway, diesels produce a ton of torque and deliver good fuel economy. The Best engines IMHO. With that said, diesels are heat engines-they need to get hot to perform their best. This is especially true on modern emissions controlled engines. If your daily commute is a couple miles each way, a diesel is NOT the best choice as youā€™ll be getting regen messages, etc. on the other hand if that commute is 20 miles down the slab each way, thereā€™s no better combination.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
My commute to work is 3 miles, that is dropping two kids off at school and getting to work. Home is only 2 miles.

I have yet to get regen messages on the dash (3k miles total). I do however get out and drive on the weekends to help alleviate this concern. It's either momma's vehicle (ford expeidition 3.5 ecoboost) or the Jeep. If I'm driving, which I normally am, we are taking the Jeep.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Honestly I had the 3.6 in my rubi as a 2016, the reason I sold that and got a 22 rubi was simply the 3.0 it was nice also to be able to upgrade the tech to the newer ones available but solely I really wanted the diesel, my advice would be if you really want it, do it soon or you might have to shop for a used one if you want this engine, itā€™s looking like itā€™s going to be pulled soon! The only downside I would say is the diesel fuel price at this point, since exporting it is more of a priority then keeping it here šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø weā€™re at an all time low for diesel reserve in our country right now

A8492D95-B42B-4F2B-88E5-03C1DCF85501.jpeg

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Obviously I'm biased, and think it is truly the best engine / transmission combo placed in a Wrangler thus far.
3.6L and the Diesel are very different engines and of course the diesel will require a little more oversight (e.g. DEF, Fuel Filter, Expensive oil changes). In my opinion it is all worth it because I have been begging for a diesel for a long time, and can't get enough of the torque. I personally had a Rubicon with a 3.6L and it just doesn't hold a candle to the diesel, but that is just my opinion. Wranglers are a niche vehicle to begin with given their purpose in life and I can't imagine why they waited so long to place a diesel in one.
Expensive oil changes? A $17 filter and 9 quarts of synthetic 5W-40 is around $60.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My commute to work is 3 miles, that is dropping two kids off at school and getting to work. Home is only 2 miles.

I have yet to get regen messages on the dash (3k miles total). I do however get out and drive on the weekends to help alleviate this concern. It's either momma's vehicle (ford expeidition 3.5 ecoboost) or the Jeep. If I'm driving, which I normally am, we are taking the Jeep.
My point was that if ALL you do (most of the time) is short haul diesel is not the answer. IF (as you said) youā€™re getting out on the road and driving regularly diesel is great. Buddy bough his EcoD same time I got mine. He seldom leaves town, short haul only, and heā€™s had a number of emissions system issues-I live in the country. 15 miles each way to town, mine has been trouble free. A diesel does need to run long enough to get ā€œhotā€ on a fairly regular basis for it to function well.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
@Shibadog Yes, I got your point and wanted to state my experience with the 3.0 as well. Short haul most of the time and blow it out on the weekend. It was to let people know if you do the short hauls during the week, get out on the weekends and drive it for longer periods.

Since it's getting colder, I can definitely see the temp gauge getting to temp slower. I was only at 168* when I shut off my engine this morning (start temp was 35* out. When it was 70-80 outside, I got to operating temp before I made my first stop.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Shibadog Yes, I got your point and wanted to state my experience with the 3.0 as well. Short haul most of the time and blow it out on the weekend. It was to let people know if you do the short hauls during the week, get out on the weekends and drive it for longer periods.

Since it's getting colder, I can definitely see the temp gauge getting to temp slower. I was only at 168* when I shut off my engine this morning (start temp was 35* out. When it was 70-80 outside, I got to operating temp before I made my first stop.
Youā€™ll be fine ā€˜cause you know to run it once in a while. Folks who donā€™tā€¦. By the by, for folks new to diesel in southern climates IF you head to cold country you want to be sure you have Winterized diesel fuel. Straight No 2 diesel will gel at cold temps. If heading to cold areas do yourself a huge favor and treat your fuel with white bottle Powerservice BEFORE you get into cold country. (Fuel sold in cold climates is typically winterized when you get it at the pump.). Back 20 years ago lived in Georgia. Got called back to my parents home in in Illinois inDecember. Temps were in the low teens. My new F350 started the next morning, ran about a mile and died. It would crank, start, and run for a few seconds and die again. My Georgia fuel had gelled. Had to be towed in. Sat in a heated garage for a few hours. Guy there added white bottle Powerservice and said ā€œ use this and you will never had the problem againā€. To this day when Iā€™m going to be in extreme temps I always run PS at least until I KNOW Iā€™ve got winterized fuel. Iā€™ve done Michigan winters with zero issue.
Sponsored