Which cable is the Neg. Aux cable?
Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The black one

Go about 3 minutes in..... I think that will show you what you're looking for.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
No problem Jim! This whole two battery thing leaves me scratching my head most of the time. I got a Prius that I drive and I believe I got my head wrapped around that fairly well but for some reason the Jeep just confuses me. Say I'm going to install a stereo... wait, this is a Jeep it needs to be a Jeep thing, light bar! Say I'm going to install a light bar. Most of the time the first step on any set of directions I don't read says to disconnect the battery. In the JL do I need to disconnect both batteries? From that video it looks like I would. Not something I would have thought I needed to do.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
In my defense I did come back with an edit to provide a video I knew existed that I think will help. I'm only a PITA most of the time.
@MrMischief

Careful taking for granted all you see in YouTube videos you find in regard to the Wrangler JL..

Lots of what you see / hear in such videos is incorrect / outdated / and just out and out wrong...

The video that you just posted, for example has it's shortcomings, to say the least......

Yes, view the videos BUT, do verify what you see in them..

Examples..... you don't need to pull the PDC to get to the Aux battery ...you can but not the smartest or recommended way. Another video out there shows side markers being installed incorrectly and and....

Last edited:
OP
OP

Fitzz47

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 unlimited Sahara jl
I have two 2018 wranglers with original batteries. Just made up two n1-n2 jumper kits. Just want to make sure which neg. to remove. So I added a 13 mm. Socket to the kit.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Examples..... you don't need to pull the PDC to get to the Aux battery ...you can but not the smartest or recommended way.
See.... I'm more comfortable disconnecting the PDC than I am with removing the fender. I have a habit of breaking those fender clips, find them annoying to source, and I really struggle with disconnecting the wire. The PDC looks intimidating but it's not that much of an issue. I suppose when I break the PDC it's going to be $600 rather than just getting complaining about some clips, so you're probably right.....

But is there a better way? A way the average owner can do, just like we used to change batteries?

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
The black one

Go about 3 minutes in..... I think that will show you what you're looking for.

Just saw this video and riddle me this, why does my 2021 have a "positive" lead for an aux battery but no "negative"??

image0-1.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just saw this video and riddle me this, why does my 2021 have a "positive" lead for an aux battery but no "negative"??

image0-1.jpeg

image1.jpeg
You have an eTorque, JL...

To tell ... eTorque or not...

Pop the hood and in say 15 seconds you can take a looksee and tell if it is an etorque JL or not....

With eTorque ........and the JL, you will see the factory has placed a solid metal jumper between N1 and N2 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC).

You will also find that there is NO, Aux battery negative cable attached to the Main batteries Neg terminal... you will just see an available stud on the Main battery neg terminal, with no cable attached to it...

And indeed, the plastic box under the PDC/ hiding behind the passenger fender flare, is there... but does not have an Aux battery in it.. it is just an empty box.

And of course, if you crawl under... with eTorque, you will see, the 48v battery box will be these... - (with battery) just ahead of the rear axle on the drivers side.

And yes, there are also other differences......

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
You have an eTorque, JL...

To tell ... eTorque or not...

Pop the hood and in say 15 seconds you can take a looksee and tell if it is an etorque JL or not....

With eTorque ........and the JL, you will see the factory has placed a solid metal jumper between N1 and N2 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC).

You will also find that there is NO, Aux battery negative cable attached to the Main batteries Neg terminal... you will just see an available stud on the Main battery neg terminal, with no cable attached to it...

And indeed, the plastic box under the PDC/ hiding behind the passenger fender flare, is there... but does not have an Aux battery in it.. it is just an empty box.

And of course, if you crawl under... with eTorque, you will see, the 48v battery box will be these... - (with battery) just ahead of the rear axle on the drivers side.

And yes, there are also other differences......
Cool thanks, I saw your post which made me look. Thanks for that.

I got the dreaded "AUX Switch, battery charging" alert, so I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool thanks, I saw your post which made me look. Thanks for that.

I got the dreaded "AUX Switch, battery charging" alert, so I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning.
At the dealership for this battery thing, ask to talk to the Service Manager... again talk to the Service Manager and not the Service Writer.

Politely ask that he/she have the Tech, load test each of your batteries and to provide you with a printout of each of the 2 load tests.

IF either battery fails the load test, then indeed you have an iffy battery or iffy 2 batteries and you can get the dealer to replace under warranty.

The load testing takes a couple of hrs. of shop time, so very often they will not do proper load testing, but say they did or not even mention load testing to you.

IF you do not see the load tests printouts you cannot be sure they actually did do load testing..

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
At the dealership for this battery thing, ask to talk to the Service Manager... again talk to the Service Manager and not the Service Writer.

Politely ask that he/she have the Tech, load test each of your batteries and to provide you with a printout of each of the 2 load tests.

IF either battery fails the load test, then indeed you have an iffy battery or iffy 2 batteries and you can get the dealer to replace under warranty.

The load testing takes a couple of hrs. of shop time, so very often they will not do proper load testing, but say they did or not even mention load testing to you.

IF you do not see the load tests printouts you cannot be sure they actually did do load testing..
Thank you for that, I'll make sure that is what I ask. I've used this dealer for both my Jeeps and so far he has been pretty trust worthy. Thanks again!!

jromanmd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
This is why I don't use YouTube to find answers. I post here and bug @Rhinebeck01 to answer it for me! :LOL:
Sponsored