First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Interesting development while still sitting in the dealership waiting room. Service advisor said shortly after uploading my service ticket they were contacted by FCA, they want the tech to communicate directly with them his findings. ( steering issue)

Big bro is watching! I'm still waiting.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
And it continues...

Just walking back from lunch, found my Jeep parked in the back 40, a LONG way from any service stall. Tracked down my service advisor who then called shop forman, they had a few heated words. Still waiting...

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
And it continues...

Just walking back from lunch, found my Jeep parked in the back 40, a LONG way from any service stall. Tracked down my service advisor who then called shop forman, they had a few heated words. Still waiting...
Primo customer service when they are yelling at each other in front of the customer. Ugh.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
And it continues...

Any word yet?

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Primo customer service when they are yelling at each other in front of the customer. Ugh.
Actually it wasn't like that. It was obvious from my advisors responce that the shop forman/manager had taken offence to being put on the spot, all I heard was the advisors responce "Hey, I'm just asking a question".

Any word yet?
So, about an hour after I revealed my discovery (my Jeep parked out back) they gave me a loaner and sent me home. It hadn't been in the shop until 5 hours after I got there with it. Advisor said they were still waiting on FCA for a plan, although it should have been in a stall long before that to at least investigate the oil leak.

I'm not a happy camper and I let them and my sales rep know it.

The saga continues

Sponsored

will0861

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Unlimited Willys
I have a 2020 JLU and I just discovered a similar leak. I'd definitely like to hear what the outcome is. I have an appointment to take me Jeep in, but I'd like to isolate this as much as possible so I can limit the run-around I get from the dealer.

In my case, the fluid is gold, and is about as thick as motor oil, however, I know it's not engine oil, since the fluid is clean. I have about 1800 miles on my Jeep, and I'd be shocked if the oil looked that clean. The drippings are more frequent when I drive the Jeep, but if it sits, I see very little fluid dripping.

Also, in my case, the fluid seems to be dripping down from the passenger side of the radiator, and dripping from the plastic wheel well guard. I know it's not coolant, since the fluid is too think. The fluid is definitely coming from inside the engine bay, and not the shock. I've traced the drippings to somewhere underneath the air filter housing. Does anyone know what kind of gold fluid passes by the passenger side of the radiator, and under the air filter? I haven't had time to remove the air filter housing, but that is my next step.

Thanks

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

In my case, the fluid is gold, and is about as thick as motor oil, however, I know it's not engine oil, since the fluid is clean. I have about 1800 miles on my Jeep, and I'd be shocked if the oil looked that clean. The drippings are more frequent when I drive the Jeep, but if it sits, I see very little fluid
I suspect it is engine oil. Near clear amber color. 1800 miles isn't enough to darken it.

Hopefully I'll hear something later today.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Crawl under and look. Could be one of the cooler lines for ATF or Power Steering. Or could be coolant, which would have orange tinge.

All leaks are visual. Just had the waterpump on my wifes Hemi Overland changed, I smelled coolant, crawled under and looked up, anti freeze with slight drip coming off front of oil pan and minor splatter sticking to lower rad hose. Brought over to local store, talked to my friends, Parts guy pulled a WP , serp belt, t-stat off shelf for me and gave me the parts, walked over and talked to friend who is service manager who told me to drop it off and leave parts in the Jeep. Brought it over that night and they sqeezed me in next day. all covered under warranty, typical top notch Jeep service at my local store. Settled up on the T-stat and belt with parts, not covered but no big deal. Got fresh new coolant out of the deal. It matters to have good rep with local store and buy the cars from them, on #4 and they treat me well!
My friend who is a tech did the job, told me the seal was starting to go. Guess it is common on the hemis from that vintage, WP has new part # so assume it supercedes the old part to correct.

will0861

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suspect it is engine oil. Near clear amber color. 1800 miles isn't enough to darken it.

Hopefully I'll hear something later today.
Well, the oil on the dipstick is definitely darker. I guess it’s possible, but from where the drips seem to be coming from, I just don’t think any engine oil passes through that area.

will0861

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crawl under and look. Could be one of the cooler lines for ATF or Power Steering. Or could be coolant, which would have orange tinge.

All leaks are visual. Just had the waterpump on my wifes Hemi Overland changed, I smelled coolant, crawled under and looked up, anti freeze with slight drip coming off front of oil pan and minor splatter sticking to lower rad hose. Brought over to local store, talked to my friends, Parts guy pulled a WP , serp belt, t-stat off shelf for me and gave me the parts, walked over and talked to friend who is service manager who told me to drop it off and leave parts in the Jeep. Brought it over that night and they sqeezed me in next day. all covered under warranty, typical top notch Jeep service at my local store. Settled up on the T-stat and belt with parts, not covered but no big deal. Got fresh new coolant out of the deal. It matters to have good rep with local store and buy the cars from them, on #4 and they treat me well!
My friend who is a tech did the job, told me the seal was starting to go. Guess it is common on the hemis from that vintage, WP has new part # so assume it supercedes the old part to correct.
I’m definitely going to bring it in. But I just want to isolate the issue before I do.

I did crawl underneath, and spent a long tracing the source. It’s dripping down from the side of the radiator and from the wheel well guard. It seems to be originating from underneath the air intake.

I knows it’s not coolant since it’s thicker, and a different color. It’s gold, and is thick like engine oil. I don’t think it’s ATF fluid since the color is different.

I’m going to try and pull the air intake off and see what’s under there since the leak seems to be originating from somewhere under there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Just got off the phone, Jeep is "done".

First, on the leak, say it's not oil, it's the stuff they spray on the undercarriage to make it look good and prevent corrosion. Well, OK then.

As for the wandering, "after working with FCA it operates as designed". Sounds familiar eh? "Compared it to another Rubi with mud tires, drives the same". Expressed my displeasure with that statement. That's kind of the point, isn't it. Thousands have the same issue, thousands more don't.

Battle one to FCA. More skirmishes to come.

will0861

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know of this will help or not, but I traced my leak up to this manifold. I’m not entirely sure what fluid flows through here but it’s gold and could be engine oil. Hope it helps.

E31FA3FA-54B4-4C1B-A21C-22A94B365FEF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I don’t know of this will help or not, but I traced my leak up to this manifold. I’m not entirely sure what fluid flows through here but it’s gold and could be engine oil. Hope it helps
Where is this?

will0861

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right next to the passenger side headlight.
Fixed it!

Sadly, the nut that was causing the leak was literally hand tight. I'm shocked the leak wasn't worse. It turned out it was the top line, and I might have been able to access it without pulling the grill and headlight. However, it made it easier to find the source.

It looks like the oil was dripping, and then the wind was blowing the drops farther back into the engine bay.

IMG_0550.JPG
Sponsored