Where to pull 12v accessory power?

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I wasn't thinking about car play, I do use it. I have no idea what the back of the radio looks like. I do however need to power 4 devices total. I was thinking instead of dual USB sockets going with 2 standard DC sockets which would allow me to use whatever plug I could find. Maybe future proof it to some extent. The 12v accessory arrived, I think I want to hook everything up on the passenger floor and ensure I am getting what I want before drilling into the top of the dash.
Sponsored

Last edited:

madmax71470

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited sport s
Having any power outlet facing upwards is a bad idea. But it looks a neat installation though.
The single usb port on the back of the radio (uconnect 7) is of the "mini" female. This cable runs first to the dash mounted data port (in connector). The a second cable runs from the dash mounted data port (out connector) to the center console data port. I have not yet investigated what is in center console, but the dash port is probably a usb hub. I used a usb right angle cable extension to run it up to the top of dash. Need to keep factory usb in tact as I have music usb attached in center console port. These cables have specific connectors on each end, but looks to have room if a "standard usb cable end was small enough (or was ground small enough). I to hate cable clutter. In an effort to not cut factory stuff I opted for a aftermarket dash bucket, mounted an i-bolt phone holder, and usb charger on that. Can easily be removed. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QB6RYV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2019 wrangler jlu dash data port.jpg

uconnect 7 back.jpg

Dash bucket liner.jpg

Dash pod 2.jpg

Dash pod 3.jpg

mkordick

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S 2-door - Ocean Blue
Having any power outlet facing upwards is a bad idea. But it looks a neat installation though.
The single usb port on the back of the radio (uconnect 7) is of the "mini" female. This cable runs first to the dash mounted data port (in connector). The a second cable runs from the dash mounted data port (out connector) to the center console data port. I have not yet investigated what is in center console, but the dash port is probably a usb hub. I used a usb right angle cable extension to run it up to the top of dash. Need to keep factory usb in tact as I have music usb attached in center console port. These cables have specific connectors on each end, but looks to have room if a "standard usb cable end was small enough (or was ground small enough). I to hate cable clutter. In an effort to not cut factory stuff I opted for a aftermarket dash bucket, mounted an i-bolt phone holder, and usb charger on that. Can easily be removed. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QB6RYV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to pull 12v accessory power? Dash pod 3

You're right about the outlets facing up - rain, dust, dirt, windex, etc.. - I had the same thought .... but I also agree it is a really good looking install. I know that tray is removable. I was thinking about an outlet UNDER the tray (buried in the center stack) with just a cable or two plugged in and running out a small port cut into the front-facing rear edge of the tray (hidden from view in the passenger compartment. The cable could be changed by removing the tray and any extra cable could simply be dressed down inside the hole. (I hate cable clutter too. I'm kind of a neat-freak.)

Thanks for posting the info on the radio and the dash panel USB/CarPlay port. I've been meaning to figure out how to get an extra USB cable plugged in.

If you're interested (and hate cables) I did buy a "CPLAY-2-Air" wireless dongle (https://carplay2air.com) a few weeks ago and have had itplugged into the center console box"USB 2" hole. Works from inside the box just fine. Never unplug it. I even have a Tuffy Locking Center Console Security Insert thing installed and even that additional metal doesn't interfere with the wireless signal..

There are other threads on that gizmo so you can read them. It does work, It is a little "laggy" but not unacceptably so at least in my opinion. Seems to do a seamless job connecting 90% of the time. When it doesn't connect perfectly without thinking about it all I usually have to do is touch something (ie the "CarPlay" button on the screen) or simply unlock my phone by looking at it to get it to connect. I have never had it fail to connect.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
I added a dual USB accessory outlet on top of the dash. I keep my phone on the dash so I can run my dashcam app. Now I can keep my phone charged without running cables to the 12 volt DC adapter.

Tricky parts were cutting the hole in the dash and running the wiring down to the glovebox area... Making the hole on top of the dash was the most stressful part because I was cutting blindly into the dash and not really knowing what was behind where I was making the hole. I did drill a small pilot hole first, then make sure I wasn't going to cut anything.

To make the hole, I had to heat up a hole saw bit and use it to melt the hole. I went this route because I couldn't fit my drill and drill bit on top of the dash without hitting the windshield. And yes, I know I could have just lowered the windshield, but that would have taken more work...

You'll need these parts:
Wiring adapter: https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl
USB Socket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVNL274/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Short, 90° USB cable (usb type C): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077M1TBQV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think you mentioned removing the front dash components to get access to the underside of that tray. If that's the case, how did you screw the large retaining ring on the underside of this USB socket product?

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have removed the rear view mirror and installed USB ports in its place. I use the USB to power a dash cam.
Jeep Wrangler JL Where to pull 12v accessory power? 1612268236320

I could not see out of the mirror anyways with the big tire and Roto-Pax blocking the rear window. I also added a USB bank on the dash to power tablets, gopro cameras, and phones. The power bank has power to it all the time, but the power bank can be switched off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to pull 12v accessory power? 1612268341547

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to pull 12v accessory power? 1612268431393

TPDiver

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
Thanks so much for this post. I was struggling with a clean option for my dashcam. This worked great. I just modified and used a low profile USB port mounted next to my mirror.
Jeep Wrangler JL Where to pull 12v accessory power? 8563EC00-92A6-40F3-A75A-A60084B66B58

Jeep Wrangler JL Where to pull 12v accessory power? D4D02E53-A050-47FD-8180-D70B5FCF3EF8
Jeep Wrangler JL Where to pull 12v accessory power? 8563EC00-92A6-40F3-A75A-A60084B66B58
Jeep Wrangler JL Where to pull 12v accessory power? D4D02E53-A050-47FD-8180-D70B5FCF3EF8

I added a dual USB accessory outlet on top of the dash. I keep my phone on the dash so I can run my dashcam app. Now I can keep my phone charged without running cables to the 12 volt DC adapter.

Tricky parts were cutting the hole in the dash and running the wiring down to the glovebox area... Making the hole on top of the dash was the most stressful part because I was cutting blindly into the dash and not really knowing what was behind where I was making the hole. I did drill a small pilot hole first, then make sure I wasn't going to cut anything.

To make the hole, I had to heat up a hole saw bit and use it to melt the hole. I went this route because I couldn't fit my drill and drill bit on top of the dash without hitting the windshield. And yes, I know I could have just lowered the windshield, but that would have taken more work...

You'll need these parts:
Wiring adapter: https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl
USB Socket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVNL274/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Short, 90° USB cable (usb type C): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077M1TBQV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored